On this page:
- Definition of the noun Achelous
- Phrases with Achelous
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Achelous
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achelous
- Photos about Achelous
- Video language resources about Achelous
- Scrabble value of A1C3H4E1L1O1U1S1
- Anagrams of ACHELOUS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Achelous
What does Achelous mean as a name of something?
Achelous is a genus of Portunidae, described by De Haan in 1833.
- synonym: genus Achelous
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Arthropoda
- class: Malacostraca
- order: Decapoda
- family: Portunidae
- species Achelous angustus
- species Achelous asper
- species Achelous binoculus
- species Achelous brevimanus
- species Achelous depressifrons
- species Achelous floridanus
- species Achelous gibbesii
- species Achelous granulatus
- species Achelous guaymasensis
- species Achelous iridescens
- species Achelous isolamargaritensis
- species Achelous obtusus
- species Achelous ordwayi
- species Achelous rufiremus
- species Achelous sebae
- species Achelous smithii
- species Achelous spinicarpus
- species Achelous spinimanus
- species Achelous stanfordi
- species Achelous tuberculatus
- species Achelous tumidulus
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Achelous is a subgenus of Portuninae, described by De Haan in 1833.
Achelous is a fictional character in the Marvel Universe, a Greek God and enemy of Hercules who first appeared in Hercules vol. 3, #1 in 2005. He is the son of the ocean gods Oceanus and Tethys.
- Achelous: In Greek mythology, Achelous was the patron deity of the "silver-swirling" Achelous River, which is the largest river of Greece, and thus the chief of all river deities, every river having its own river spirit. His name is pre-Greek, its meaning unknown. The Greeks invented etymologies to associate it with Greek word roots. However, these are etymologically unsound and of much later origin than the name itself.
- Achelous is a relatively fresh crater on Ganymede adjacent to the similarly sized Gula. It has an outer lobate ejecta deposit extending about a crater radius from the rim.
Phrases with Achelous
Phrases starting with the word Achelous:
- Achelous Asper
- Achelous Sebae
- Achelous Ordwayi
- Achelous Angustus
- Achelous Gibbesii
- Achelous Xantusii
- Achelous Binoculus
- Achelous Rufiremus
- Achelous Stanfordi
- Achelous Tumidulus
- Achelous Brevimanus
- Achelous Floridanus
- Achelous Granulatus
- Achelous Iridescens
- Achelous Panamensis
Phrases ending with the word Achelous:
View more phrases with the word Achelous in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Achelous
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Captain America: Civil War is a 2016 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character Captain America, produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures by Contributors, Wikipedia
Achelous is a Greek river god . in the Marvel Universe The character, adapted from the deity from Greek mythology by Frank Tieri vol. 3, #1 (June 2005). and Mark Texeira , first appeared in Hercules Within the context of the stories, Achelous is ...
A Dual-Language Book by Thomas Mann
The following description of the sacred grove is based closely on Plato's dialogue Phaedrus (Achelous is a river god), but some of the erotic philosophy in this paragraph is closer to the dialogue Symposium. Schönheit der Weg des Fühlenden ...
by M. F. Burnyeat
As the sorites questioning proceeds, some groups of worshippers want to drop out earlier than others ('Yes, Achelous is a god, but not the Nile: leave that to the Egyptians';); and eventually we reach something like the torrents, or a puddle by ...
The nine books of the History of Herodotus, tr. from the text of T. Gaisford, with notes and a summary by P.E. Laurent (1827)
The junction of those islands to the continent by the sands and rubbish brought down the Achelous is a fact to which all modern travellers bear testimony, m.n. Curzolari; according to Meletius Scrophais. ii. 10. Edonis. A small country of Thrace, ...
Death in Venice (1995)
by Thomas Mann, Stanley Appelbaum
The description of the sacred grove in which Socrates instructs Phaedrus is based closely on Plato's own text near the beginning of the dialogue Phaedrus; Achelous is a river god. But some of the erotically tinged, sophistical philosophy that ...
by Herodotus, Leonhard Schmitz
Achelous is a river of Acarnania, and the Echinades close to that coast, and distant from Elis a considerable space. No descent of earth from ...
by Charles Russell Coulter, Patricia Turner
see Achelous. Achelous Acheloos (Greek) A river god. Shape changer. Achelous is the eldest of the three thousand sons (known astheRivers) ...
by Jennifer R. March
The Achelous is situated in north western Greece on the borders of Acarnania and Aetolia, rising in central Epirus and flowing intothe Ionian Sea. Its modern name is the Aspropotamo.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achelous
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Achelous
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hercules and Achelous
Guido Reni (1575-1642)
Hercules and Achelous(1617-1621)
Photo credit: rjhuttondfw
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Achelous
Click on an item to play that video:
- Achelous - The Cold Winds Of Olympus
Achelous - The Cold Winds Of Olympus From the mini cd "The Cold Winds Of Olympus" mini cd 2015 Hellenic Battle Metal Chris Achelous - bass Chris Kappas ...
- Achelous - Dragon's Nail
Achelous - Dragon's Nail From the mini cd "The Cold Winds Of Olympus" mini cd 2015 Hellenic Battle Metal Chris Achelous - bass Chris Kappas - vox Stelios ...
- Company of Heroes - Achelous River 2v2 - Allies
Unseen and Gluepot work together, as the allies, in an attempt to overcome the might of the German army on Achelous River 2v2. Will they be crushed under the ...
- Het IIIde lustrum des H.R.G. Achelous
- Blu Achelous Lamborghini Huracan in Delhi (India)
- Achelous Bumping Greatest Hits
Aankomend weekend is het weer Bumping Weekend! Scheidsrechter Jordy heeft de special upside-down-motor-scheidsrechters-boot ter water gelaten om ...
- Company of Heroes - Blitzkreig Mod (Achelous River)
Don Monty and Kaldac Nor take you through a great game of Blitzkrieg Mod with tough German Opposition and a tactical map. Facebook: ...
- Achelous - The Cold Winds Of Olympus (Live At Arhitektoniki 8/10/2015)
Achelous - The Cold Winds Of Olympus (Live At Arhitektoniki 8/10/2015) Achelous Chris Kappas - vox Stelios Avgouleas - guitars Vasilis Stafylas - guitars Chris ...
Scrabble value of A1C3H4E1L1O1U1S1
The value of this 8-letter word is 13 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACHELOUS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Achelous!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Achelous to find many related words and phrases!