The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun achievement:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun achievement
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Achievement
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achievement
- Photos about Achievement
- Video language resources about Achievement
- Quotes about Achievement
- Scrabble value of A1C3H4I1E1V4E1M3E1N1T1
- Share this page
Achievement is a member of the word family achieve, included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun achievement
What does achievement mean as a name of something?
Achievement is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: achievements
- the action of accomplishing something
- examples: The manager complimented him on his achievement. | It is quite an achievement! | Great difficulties stand in the way of its achievement. | As a result, it is undeniable that important disciplines and moral education have been neglected. By placing excessive importance on scholastic achievement, many parents have forgotten such basic social courtesies as consideration for others. | The great difficulties stand in the way of its achievement. | The moon landing was a monumental achievement. | Working in a society gives women both hardship and achievement, but the daily chores at home don't seem to give them fulfillment. | Kudos for your outstanding achievement! | You shall receive two certificates of achievement. | Their climbing of Mt. Everest was a great achievement.
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonym of achievement: accomplishment
- more generic word: action = something done
- more specific terms:
- beachhead / foothold = an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments
- cakewalk = an easy accomplishment
- exploit / effort / feat = a notable achievement
- masterpiece = an outstanding achievement
- masterstroke = an achievement demonstrating great skill or mastery
- credit = used in the phrase `to your credit' in order to indicate an achievement deserving praise
- performance = any recognized accomplishment
- track record / record = the sum of recognized accomplishments
- accomplished fact / fait accompli = an irreversible accomplishment
- sledding / going = advancing toward a goal
- reaching / arrival = accomplishment of an objective
- narrow escape / close shave / close call / squeaker / squeak = something achieved (or escaped) by a narrow margin
- attainment = the act of achieving an aim
- liberation / freeing / release = the act of liberating someone or something
- base on balls / pass / walk = an advance to first base by a batter who receives four balls
- haymaking = taking full advantage of an opportunity while it lasts
- face saving / face saver = an act that avoids a loss of face
- recruitment / enlisting = the act of getting recruits
- smooth = the act of smoothing
Alternative definition of the noun achievement
- The act of achieving or performing; an obtaining by exertion; successful performance; accomplishment; as, the 'achievement' of his/her object.
- A great or heroic deed; something accomplished by valor, boldness, or praiseworthy exertion; a feat.
- [heraldry] An escutcheon or ensign armorial; now generally applied to the funeral shield commonly called hatchment. - Cussans
- [video games] An award for completing a particular task or meeting an objective.
Specialised definition of the noun achievement
Glossary of sports
the successful completion of something demanding (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Achievement" a.k.a. "Saadhanai" is a 1986 Indian Tamil film directed by A. S. Pragasam, starring Sivaji Ganesan, his son Prabhu Ganesan, K. R. Vijaya and Nalini in primary roles.
- read more about Saadhanai
"Achievement" is a book by E. Temple Thurston.
- "Achievement" is a musical album of International Falls.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Achievement" is a composition.
- music by Kenneth Edward Keyn
- Achievement: In video gaming parlance, an achievement, also sometimes known as a trophy, badge, award, stamp, medal or challenge, is a meta-goal defined outside of a game's parameters. Unlike the systems of quests or levels that usually define the goals of a video game and have a direct effect on further gameplay, the management of achievements usually takes place outside the confines of the game environment and architecture. Meeting the fulfillment conditions, and receiving recognition of fulfillment by the game, is referred to as unlocking the achievement. Despite the usual connotations of the term, unlocking an achievement does not generally pave the way for future actions with the same achievement.
- Achievement: An achievement in heraldry is a full display of all the heraldic components to which the bearer of a coat of arms is entitled.
- Achievement was a British Thoroughbred racehorse and broodmare. In a career that lasted from April 1866 to June 1868 she ran twenty-three times and won sixteen races. She was arguably the best British two-year-old of either sex in 1866 when she won eleven times and was only beaten when attempting to concede weight to colts. As a three-year-old she won the Classic 1000 Guineas at Newmarket and then returned from a surprising defeat in the Epsom Oaks to beat the Epsom Derby winner Hermit in the St Leger at Doncaster. After failing to show her best form in 1868 she was retired to stud and died four years later.
- born in (151 years ago)
- Achievement: The feat which has been achieved.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Achievement
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Kate Kearns
Achievements are classified as telic, but rather than having a telos, an achievement is a kind of telos. Upper and lower limits on...
Given that an achievement is an event boundary rather than a 'full' event, it is non-durative. The properties of the ...
by K. Lampert
Furthermore, the common sense includes no parameter of comparison between children – an academic achievement is the generation of something new that wasn't there before, and thus is wholly unrelated to others. Any manifestation of a ...
Diversity Vs. Racism (2012)
A Challenge to Mankind by Johnny Ishmel Henry
Achievement is the personification of triumph.
Toward a Positive Psychology of Self-Esteem, Third Edition by Christopher J. J. Mruk, PhD
The relationship between self-esteem and academic achievement is a good example of this paradox in action. First, there are those who see...
In this case, academic achievement is the independent variable that affects self-esteem. If so, then ...
A Global Perspective by Weerakkody, Vishanth
The crucial achievement is that the way of thinking has been changed and as a consequence information management and sharing has improved. The results of the project also directly influence the e-governmentinitiatives of all forms; more ...
Results of the 4th EC Medical and Health Research Programme by J. E. W. Beneken, Viviane Thévenin
A second achievement is the new format to bring in the data. Although sheet forms are available, data can be...
A third achievement is that the techniques to record blood pressure have largely ...
The National Stage (1992)
Theatre and Cultural Legitimation in England, France, and America by Loren Kruger
Chapter Four "The Greatest Achievement Is the Creation of an Audience" The terms articulating these tensions recall that between a locally identified theatre populaire or proletaire and a reconciliatory, ideally universal theatre dupeuple in ...
by Roy F. Baumeister, Kathleen D. Vohs
Definition The term achievement motivation may be defined by independently considering the words achievement and motivation. Achievement refers to competence (a condition or quality of effectiveness, ability, sufficiency, or success ).
by Michael Kent
achievement 1 The ...
by Jon E. Roeckelein
ACHIEVEMENT MOTIVATION, THEORY OF 5 Druckman, D. (Ed.) (1977). Negotiations: Social psychological perspectives. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage. Reber, A. (1995). The Penguin dictionary of psychology. New York: Penguin Books.
by Neil J. Salkind
Achievement Motives An achievement motive is a dispositional motivational tendency to energize competence-relevant behavior and orient individuals toward success or failure possibilities. Two primary achievement motives have been ...
by Thomas H. Ollendick, Carolyn S. Schroeder
DEFINITION Academic achievement is defined as the knowledge and skills that an individual learns through direct instruction. Achievement tests measure what a person has learned, whereas aptitude tests (including tests of intelligence) ...
by James A. Banks
The term achievement gap is used to describe the disparities in educational outcomes between students of differing demographic characteristics such as gender, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, and immigration status. For the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achievement
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Achievement
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: shrimali vijay [artist]
Photo credit: romana klee
Photo credit: shrimali vijay [artist]
Billboard in Salt Lake
Photo credit: Edgar Zuniga Jr.
Photo credit: eflon
David France, founder of Revolution of Hope's Youth Orchestra, performs in their debut concert.
Photo credit: www.jasoncoreyphoto.com
Photo credit: sandyiitg
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Achievement
Click on an item to play that video:
- Achievement Meaning
Video shows what achievement means. The act of achieving or performing; a successful performance; accomplishment. A great or heroic deed or feat; ...
- Back to the Future The Game - A Plausible Explanation (Trophy / Achievement Guide) 30th Anniversary
- Interactive Vocabulary Strategies That Boost Student Learning and Achievement, Grades 6-12
- Comedy during Achievement meaning correction in Parliament discussion
Comedy during Achievement meaning correction in Parliament discussion.
- How to get the avenger on the move achievement explanation
This is how to get the Avengers on the move achivment relating to the fragments in thr game an tips on how to help in naruto shippuden ultimate ninja storm 3.
- VAM and SLTs: Growth Versus Achievement Explanation
This video explains the paradigm shift between achievement data and growth data for student and teacher evaluation. Presented at NSULA, and covers both ...
- Strengthening Early Vocabulary to Support Literacy Achievement
Research has shown how learning vocabulary at an early age (along with other early language skills), will better prepare a child to become an emerging reader, ...
- Meaning of Progress for young people: "Progress is the achievement of one's life"
- Repeated Unemployment in the Household and Child Vulnerability in Receptive Vocabulary Achievement
Repeated Unemployment in the Household and Child Vulnerability in Receptive Vocabulary Achievement: Evidence from the NLSCY Justine C. Gibbings ...
- Accelerated Vocabulary Instruction Strategies for Closing the Achievement Gap for All Students
- The Mack Hines Explanation: Race, Culture, and African American Student Achievement
In this video, Dr. Mack T. Hines III engages teachers in an activity on how race and culture influences teacher expectations for African American student ...
- Download ANSWERS ON VOCABULARY FOR ACHIEVEMENT SECOND COURSE TEACHER EDITION PDF
- Download VOCABULARY FOR ACHIEVEMENT GRADE 7 PDF
- Vocabulary for Achievement: Student Edition Fourth Co Online Book
Want to read all pages of Vocabulary for Achievement: Student Edition Fourth Course 4th Edition online just...
- Command Dictionary /achievement
Have you ever wanted to know a particular command but could only find an incompetent noob who's only video was the one you were watching?! Well salvation ...
- FIFA 15-Extra Effort (Trophy/Achievement) [Description]
- WILDSTAR - Love of the Larva [Achievement] (Description)
This is basicly in the start zones Celestion or Deradune you get the choice around level 12-16 in a quest to go to Outpost m-13 (an instance) at the end you have ...
- SMART Education Solutions in English Language Acquisition - Closing the achievement gap
See how educators at Cesar Chavez Elementary School in California used SMART products to increase English language proficiency test scores by more than ...
- The Language, Reading, and Math Achievement Study
In this podcast, Dr. Archibald describes some results from a large study with school age children looking at patterns of school learning challenges.
- Bridging the Achievement Gap for English Language Learners
Latino students are the largest ethnic minority group in the Southwest and the fastest-growing nationally. Yet Department of Education data shows they ...
- Closing Math Achievement Gaps for English Language Learners
Using effective strategies to personalize the math learning experience is key to reaching all levels of learners, especially Spanish-speaking English Language ...
- FIFA 14 Extra Effort Achievement Guide (Check Description)
To get this achievement: 1.
- Always On The Phone Achievement Description
This is a description of how to unlock The Always on the Phone Achievement in the game Lollipop Chainsaw on the xbox 360....
- Gema Zamarro, The Effect of Dual Language Immersion on Student Achievement
K-12 Brown Bag Lecture - The Effect of Dual Language Immersion on Student Achievement. Lecture by Gema Zamarro, University of Southern California, ...
- Lollipop Addict Achievement Description
This is a description of how to unlock the Lollipop Addict Achievement in the game Lollipop Chainsaw on the Xbox 360....
- Student Achievement Goal Video - Learning a Second Language
For students to become successful members of today's global society, it is essential that they learn to communicate effectively in at least two languages. This is ...
- Applauding Achievement at 7th International Language and Culture Festival
- Carson Barnes FLACS Scholarship #1: Outstanding Language Achievement
- Hill Written Language Achievement Program - HillWrite
- Heritage Langauge and Second Language Literacy Achievement
PPT presentation for class.
View more videos about Achievement test.
See also the pronunciation examples of Achievement!
Quotes about Achievement
A successful individual typically sets his next goal somewhat but not too much above his last achievement. In this way he steadily raises his level of aspiration. (Kurt Lewin)
more quotes about achievement...
Scrabble value of A1C3H4I1E1V4E1M3E1N1T1
The value of this 11-letter word is 21 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Achievement to see it in context!