Acid appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Di can okay a yak on acid.
- "Raft on still acid", I call, "it’s not far!"
- "Slam in acid!" I call, if I fill acidic animals.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun acid:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun acid
- Definition of the adjective acid
- Phrases with Acid
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acid
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acid
- Photos about Acid
- Video language resources about Acid
- Quotes about Acid
- Scrabble value of A1C3I1D2
- Anagrams of ACID
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acid
What does acid mean as a name of something?
Acid is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: acids
- any of various water-soluble compounds having a sour taste and capable of turning litmus red and reacting with a base to form a salt
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic terms: chemical compound / compound = a substance formed by chemical union of two or more elements or ingredients in definite proportion by weight
- more specific terms:
- homogentisic acid / alcapton / alkapton = an acid formed as an intermediate product of the metabolism of tyrosine and phenylalanine
- arsenic acid = an acid formed from arsenic pentoxide
- hexacosanoic acid / cerotic acid = a white solid fatty acid found in waxes
- chloric acid = a strong unstable acid with an acrid odor found in chlorate salts
- chlorous acid = a strongly oxidizing acid
- monobasic acid = an acid containing only one replaceable hydrogen atom per molecule
- dibasic acid = an acid containing two replaceable hydrogen atoms per molecule
- tribasic acid = an acid containing three replaceable hydrogen atoms per molecule
- tetrabasic acid = an acid containing four replaceable hydrogen atoms per molecule
- fulminic acid = an unstable acid occurring mainly in the form of explosive salts and esters that is isomeric with cyanic acid
- gamma acid = a crystalline acid used to make azo dyes
- hydriodic acid = a colorless or yellow aqueous solution of hydrogen iodide
- hydrocyanic acid / prussic acid = a solution of hydrogen cyanide in water
- hydroxy acid = any acid that has hydroxyl groups in addition to the hydroxyl group in the acid itself
- hyponitrous acid = an explosive white crystalline weak acid
- lysergic acid = a crystalline acid often used in medical research
- manganic acid = a dibasic acid (H2MnO4) found only in solution and in manganate salts
- 2-methylpropenoic acid / methacrylic acid = an unsaturated acid (C4H6O2) used to make resins and plastics
- selenic acid = a strong acid (H2SeO4) analogous to sulfuric acid
- sulphonic acid / sulfonic acid = an acid derived from sulphuric acid
- titanic acid = a white weak acid that is a hydrated form of titanium dioxide
- perchloric acid = a powerful oxidizing agent
- carboxylic acid = an organic acid characterized by one or more carboxyl groups
- aminobenzoic acid = a derivative of benzoic acid
- aqua fortis / nitric acid = acid used especially in the production of fertilizers and explosives and rocket fuels
- nitrous acid = an unstable inorganic acid known only in solution and as nitrite salts
- nitrohydrochloric acid / aqua regia = a yellow fuming corrosive mixture of nitric and hydrochloric acid that dissolves metals
- barbituric acid / malonylurea = a white crystalline acid derived from pyrimidine
- boracic acid / boric acid = any of various acids containing boron and oxygen
- orthoboric acid / boric acid = a white or colorless slightly acid solid that is soluble in water and ethanol; used in the manufacture of glass and paper and adhesives and in detergents and as a flux in welding
- bromic acid = an unstable acid used as an oxidizing agent
- carbamic acid = an acid that is known only by virtue of its salts (as ammonium carbamate) or its esters
- hydroxybenzene / carbolic acid / phenylic acid / oxybenzene / phenol = a toxic white soluble crystalline acidic derivative of benzene; used in manufacturing and as a disinfectant and antiseptic
- carbonic acid = a weak acid known only in solution
- chromic acid = an unstable acid known only in solution and as chromate salts
- citric acid = a weak water-soluble acid found in many fruits
- cyanamide / cyanamid = a weak soluble dibasic acid
- cyanic acid = a colorless poisonous volatile liquid acid that hydrolyzes readily to ammonia and carbon dioxide
- cyanuric acid = a trimer of cyanic acid
- ferricyanic acid = a brown unstable acid formed from ferricyanide
- ferrocyanic acid = a white unstable acid formed from ferrocyanide salts
- fluoroboric acid = an acid of fluorine and boron
- hydrofluosilicic acid / fluosilicic acid = an unstable poisonous corrosive acid known primarily in the form of its salts
- formic acid = a colorless pungent fuming vesicatory liquid acid HCOOH found naturally in ants and many plants or made catalytically from carbon monoxide and steam
- fumaric acid = a colorless crystalline acid with a fruity taste
- gallic acid = a colorless crystalline acid obtained from tannin
- glyceric acid = a syrupy acid obtained by oxidation of glycerol or glyceraldehyde
- hydroxyacetic acid / glycollic acid / glycolic acid = a translucent crystalline compound found in sugar cane and sugar beets and unripe grapes
- hydrobromic acid = an aqueous solution of hydrogen bromide that is a strong liquid acid
- chlorohydric acid / hydrochloric acid = an aqueous solution of hydrogen chloride
- hydrogen chloride = a colorless corrosive gas
- hydrofluoric acid = a weak poisonous liquid acid
- hydroiodic acid = an acid formed by aqueous solution of hydrogen iodide
- hypochlorous acid = a weak unstable acid known only in solution and in its salts
- iodic acid = a soluble crystalline acid
- isocyanic acid = an acid known only in the form of its esters
- itaconic acid = a crystalline carboxylic acid
- maleic acid = a colorless crystalline compound found in unripe fruit (such as apples or tomatoes or cherries) and used mainly to make polyester resins
- oxaloacetic acid / oxalacetic acid = an acid formed by oxidation of maleic acid
- ethanedioic acid / oxalic acid = a toxic colorless crystalline organic acid found in oxalis and other plants
- oxygen acid / oxyacid = any acid that contains oxygen
- pantothenic acid / pantothen = a vitamin of the vitamin B complex that performs an important role in the oxidation of fats and carbohydrates and certain amino acids
- para aminobenzoic acid / PABA = a metabolic acid found in yeast and liver cells
- pectic acid = a complex acid that occurs in ripe fruit and some vegetables
- permanganic acid = an unstable purple acid (HMnO4) known only in solution or of permanganate salts
- phthalic acid = a colorless acid used to make dyes and perfumes
- picric acid = a yellow toxic highly explosive strong acid
- pyruvic acid = a colorless acid formed as an important intermediate in metabolism or fermentation
- dichromic acid = the hypothetical acid (H2Cr2O7) from which dichromates are derived
- silicic acid = a jellylike substance
- sulphanilic acid / sulfanilic acid = a crystalline acid made from aniline and used as a dye
- thiocyanic acid = an unstable acid that can be obtained by distilling a thiocyanate salt
- toluic acid = an isomeric acid derived from toluene
- triphosphoric acid = an acid that is a partial anhydride of three molecules of phosphoric acid
- undecylenic acid = an acid that is a component of perspiration
- uric acid = a white tasteless odorless crystalline product of protein metabolism
- oil of vitriol / sulphuric acid / sulfuric acid / vitriol = a highly corrosive acid made from sulfur dioxide
- xanthic acid = any of a class of unstable organic acids containing sulphur
- street name for lysergic acid diethylamide
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- scientific name: Zen
- synonyms of acid: back breaker / battery-acid / dose / dot / Elvis / loony toons / Lucy in the sky with diamonds / pane / superman / window pane
- more generic terms: LSD / lysergic acid diethylamide = a powerful hallucinogenic drug manufactured from lysergic acid
Definition of the adjective acid
What does acid mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more acid / acider | most acid / acidest
- harsh or corrosive in tone
- being sour to the taste
- having the characteristics of an acid
Alternative definition of the adjective acid
- Sour, sharp, or biting to the taste; tart; having the taste of vinegar.
- [figuratively] Sour-tempered.
- antonym: base
- Of or pertaining to an acid; acidic.
- [music] Denoting a musical genre that is a distortion (as if hallucinogenic) of an existing genre, as in acid house, acid jazz, acid rock.
"Acid" a.k.a. "Tezaab", released on 11 November 1988, is an Indian Hindi movie. The film gave actress Madhuri Dixit her first big break and reaffirmed Anil Kapoor's status, after a successful Mr India.
- read more about Tezaab
Acid is a fictional character from the 2002 film Stop Violence.
- "Acid" is a musical album of Ray Barretto.
- released in (47 years ago)
- "Acid" is a composition.
- music by Ray Barretto
- "Acid" is a musical album of Acid.
- released in (33 years ago)
- "Acid" is a musical album of Dirtsman & Dirstman.
- "Acid" is a musical single of Jérôme Tissot.
- ACID was a Japanese rock band originally created by Hideki after Siam Shade disbanded.
- Acid a.k.a. The Brian Jonestown Massacre is an American neo-psychedelia band formed in San Francisco in 1990. The band's output spans psychedelic rock, folk rock and shoegaze.
- also known as The Brian Jonestown Masssacre, Brian Jonestown Massacre Track, Brian Jones Massacre
- Matt Hollywood (Guitar) between and (9 years)
- Matt Hollywood (Guitar) since
- Constantine Karlis (Drums)
- Will Carruthers (Bass guitar) since
- Jón Sæmundur Audarson (Guitar)
- Henrik Baldvin Bjornsson (Guitar)
- Anton Newcombe since
- Dino Karlis
- Joel Gion
- Ricky Maymi
- Billy Corgan
- Frankie Emerson
- Rob Campanella
- Daniel Allaire
- Collin Hegna
- genres: Psychedelic rock, Psychedelic music, Rock music, Shoegazing, Alternative rock, Folk rock, Nu gaze, Avant-garde, Experimental music, Acid rock, Indie rock, Neo-psychedelia, Experimental rock, Psychedelic folk, Country rock
- albums: "Methodrone", "Take It From the Man!", "Thank God for Mental Illness", "Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request", "Give It Back!", "Strung Out in Heaven", "Peel Sessions 1998", "Zero: Songs From the Album Bravery, Repetition and Noise", "Bravery, Repetition, and Noise", "...And This Is Our Music", "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective", "2005-07-23: Lollapalooza, Chicago, IL, USA", "We Are the Radio", "Bringing It All Back Home - Again", "Spacegirl and Other Favorites", "The Diane Perry Tape", "Your Side of Our Story", "If Love Is the Drug Then I Want to OD", "My Bloody Underground", "Just Like Kicking Jesus", "Smoking Acid", "Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?", "One", "If I Love You?", "Love", "One EP", "The Singles Collection 1992-2011", "Iluminomi", "Live at the Hi-Fi", "Aufheben", "2004-12-01: WPRK, Winter Park, Florida, USA", "Prozac vs Heroin / Nailing Honey to the Bee", "2003-03-14: KVRX, Austin, TX, USA", "2006-10-05: Webster Hall, New York, NY, USA", "This Is Why You Love Me", "Revolution Number Zero", "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective (Volume One)", "Revelation", "Record Store Day 2014 Split 12 Inch", "Fist Full of Bees", "+-EP"
- official website: www.brianjonestownmassacre.com
- Acid is a musical group.
- albums: "Acid", "Engine Beast", "Maniac", "Black Car"
- ACiD is a musical group.
- albums: "囚。-ト.ラ.ワ.レ-", "Oxidize Phenomina"
- Acid is a musical group.
- album: "Hipguard / Freedom Lover"
There are other groups with in their name, like 302 Acid, Acid Bath, Acid Bats, Acid Bell, Acid Cool, Acid Drop, Acid King, Acid Mess, Acid rain, Acid test, Acid Brass, Acid Death, Acid Eater, Acid Enema, Acid Girls, Acid green, Acid Horse, Acid Jesus, Acid Queen.
- Acid: An acid is a chemical substance whose aqueous solutions are characterized by a sour taste, the ability to turn blue litmus red, and the ability to react with bases and certain metals to form salts. Aqueous solutions of acids have a pH of less than 7. A lower pH means a higher acidity, and thus a higher concentration of positive hydrogen ions in the solution. Chemicals or substances having the property of an acid are said to be acidic.
- also known as אסיד
- ACID: In computer science, ACID is a set of properties that guarantee that database transactions are processed reliably. In the context of databases, a single logical operation on the data is called a transaction. For example, a transfer of funds from one bank account to another, even involving multiple changes such as debiting one account and crediting another, is a single transaction.
- Acid is a computer virus which infects .COM and .EXE files including command.com. Each time an infected file is executed, Acid infects all of the .EXE files in the current directory. Later, if an infected file is executed, it infects the .COM files in the current directory. Programs infected with Acid will have had the first 792 bytes of the host program overwritten with Acid's own code. There will be no file length increase unless the original host program was smaller than 792 bytes, in which case it will become 792 bytes in length. The program's date and time in the DOS disk directory listing will not be altered.
- Acid is a Burmese hip hop group often credited with releasing Burma's first hip hop album, Beginning, in 2000. Two of the group's founders were later imprisoned for the group's allegedly pro-democracy lyrics.
Phrases with Acid
Phrases starting with the word Acid:
Phrases ending with the word Acid:
View more phrases with the word Acid in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Henry Watts
forms with sesquichloride of iron a pale brown-red precipitate, insoluble in excess of the ammonia-salt (whereby it is distinguished from the precipitate formed by succinic acid). It is very bulky, and difficult to wash ; soluble in acids but not in ...
Flip Dictionary (2002)
by Barbara Kipfer
tip-top, topnotch, tops acerbate: embitter, envenom, exasperate, infuriate, irritate acerbic: acid, acrid, astringent, bitter, corrosive, harsh, sarcastic, sharp, sour, tart aces, double: ambsace acetic acid: corrosive, vesicant, vinegar ache: agonize, ...
Encyclopedia of Entomology (2008)
by John L. Capinera
Boric acid is used as a fungicide, bactericide, antiseptic, and as an insecticide, but has several other useful properties such as a flame retardant. Normally it is produced from borate minerals by reaction with sulfuric acid. From a toxicological ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acid
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ToNG!?
Photo credit: stranger3113
Photo credit: ToNG!?
Photo credit: protozoo
CZJ MC Flektogon f2.4/35mm
Photo credit: onigiri-kun
Photo credit: Andrew Gustar
- Masterpiece Acid Storm
Like the Incredible Hulk of the Transformers world.
Photo credit: Pete Slater
- Acid lights
Photo credit: jsmuns
- Acid march
Photo credit: jsmuns
- Acid world
Photo credit: milena mihaylova
- Acid Waste
Photo credit: Dan4th
- Acid Kidz
Photo credit: Christian Javan
- Jasmonate Dwarfing Acid
Photo credit: Arne Hendriks
- Acid Kidz
Photo credit: Christian Javan
- Acid Kidz
Photo credit: Christian Javan
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acid
Click on an item to play that video:
- Citric Acid Cycle Explanation (Kreb's cycle)
A detailed explanation of the Citric Acid Cycle.
- Phosphoric acid Meaning
Video shows what phosphoric acid means. A colourless liquid, H3PO4, used in the manufacture of fertilizers, detergents and pharmaceuticals and as an additive ...
- Stearic acid Meaning
Video shows what stearic acid means. octadecanoic acid; the most common saturated fatty acid; it is found in all animal and most vegetable oils and fats; it is ...
- Gluconic acid Meaning
Video shows what gluconic acid means. An organic compound, C6H12O7, formed by oxidizing the aldehyde functional group of glucose into a carboxylic acid; ...
- Acetylsalicylic acid Meaning
Video shows what acetylsalicylic acid means. The acetate ester of salicylic acid; aspirin.. Acetylsalicylic acid Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Deoxyribonucleic acid Meaning
Video shows what deoxyribonucleic acid means. A nucleic acid found in all living things (and some non-living, see virus); consists of a polymer formed from ...
- Perchloric acid Meaning
Video shows what perchloric acid means. A clear colourless liquid; a strong acid and a violent, sometimes explosive, oxidizing agent. HClO4, the oxyacid of ...
- Alginic acid Meaning
Video shows what alginic acid means. A gum (a carboxylated polysaccharide), extracted from certain seaweeds, used as a food additive. alginic acid synonyms: ...
- Nalidixic acid Meaning
Video shows what nalidixic acid means. A quinolone antibiotic used to treat infections of the genital and urinary tracts.. Nalidixic acid Meaning. How to ...
- Hydrofluoric acid Meaning
Video shows what hydrofluoric acid means. A solution of hydrogen fluoride, HF, in water; it is a weak but very corrosive acid, used in the production of fluorine ...
- Ellagic acid Meaning
Video shows what ellagic acid means. A polyphenol antioxidant found in numerous fruits and vegetables including raspberries, strawberries, cranberries, ...
- Aristolochic acid Meaning
Video shows what aristolochic acid means. A carboxylic acid derived from phenanthrene extracted from plants of the family Aristolochiaceae, though sometimes ...
- Arachidonic acid Meaning
Video shows what arachidonic acid means. A long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acid, having 20 carbon atoms and four double bonds, found in animal fats; it is ...
- Racemic acid Meaning
Video shows what racemic acid means. an equal mixture of the d- and l- forms of tartaric acid found in grape juice; the isomers can be separated via ...
- Fumaric acid Meaning
Video shows what fumaric acid means. an unsaturated organic dicarboxylic acid, HOOCCH=CHCOOH, the geometric isomer of maleic acid from which it may be ...
- Propanoic acid Meaning
Video shows what propanoic acid means. A colourless liquid with a sharp unpleasant odour; produced by the bacterial breakdown of fatty acids and therefore ...
- Sulfonic acid Meaning
Video shows what sulfonic acid means. a strong inorganic acid, HSO2OH. the univalent functional group -SO2OH. any member of the class or organic acids ...
- Chloric acid Meaning
Video shows what chloric acid means. a strong acid, HClO3, known only in solution and as its chlorate salts; a powerful oxidizing agent. Chloric acid Meaning.
- Ribonucleic acid Meaning
Video shows what ribonucleic acid means. A derivative of DNA having ribose in place of deoxyribose, and uracil in place of thymine; its primary function is in the ...
- Retinoic acid Meaning
Video shows what retinoic acid means. A derivative of vitamin A, used in the treatment of acne; it is essential for bone and tissue development.. retinoic acid ...
- Citric Acid Cycle Description
This is Melissa, Frankie, and Mandi's version for biochemistry class at Southwestern College in WInfield, KS. April 20, 2010.
- ESL Rocket league : Angealandco Vs Acid Trip Inc.
Watch live at...
- Chemicals Dechlorination Vita-D-Chlor Ascorbic Acid Granular Description
- What Is The Definition Of Ascorbic acid Medical Dictionary Free Online
- Chemicals Acidizing Hydrochloric Acid Description
- Citric Acid Cycle Description
Blake Morgan describes his large citric acid cycle made in Biochemistry lab at Southwestern College in Winfield, Kansas. The clip is directed by Roger Klein with ...
- What Is The Definition Of Alpha linolenic acid (Medical Dictionary Online)
what is the definition of Alpha-linolenic acid: An essential fatty acid found in flaxseed oil, canola oil and walnuts. Abbreviated ALA. medical terminology, medical ...
View more videos about On Acid, The Acid, Acid Base, Amic Acid, Uric acid, Amino Acid, Malic acid, Super Acid, Acetic acid, Capric acid, cyanic acid, Gallic acid, Lactic acid, Picric acid, Uronic acid, Acrylic acid, Azelaic acid, and Benzoic acid.
See also the pronunciation examples of Acid!
Quotes about Acid
Scrabble value of A1C3I1D2
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACID
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Acid!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acid to see it in context!