On this page:
Definition of the noun acid-base indicator
What does acid-base indicator mean as a name of something?
- an indicator that changes color on going from acidic to basic solutions
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- more generic word: indicator = a substance that changes color to indicate the presence of some ion or substance
- more specific terms:
- phenolphthalein = a laxative used in many preparations under various trade names
- congo red = a red-brown azo dye especially as a chemical pH indicator
- methyl orange = an azo dye used as an acid-base indicator
- litmus test / litmus = a coloring material (obtained from lichens) that turns red in acid solutions and blue in alkaline solutions
- tetrabromo-phenolsulfonephthalein / bromophenol blue / bromphenol blue = a dye used as an acid-base indicator
- bromothymol blue / bromthymol blue = a dye used as an acid-base indicator
Alternative definition of the noun acid-base indicator
- [chemistry] A substance that shows the acidity or alkalinity of a solution by its colour.
- synonym: pH indicator
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acid-Base Indicator
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by A. Townshend, D.T. Burns, Ryszard Lobinski, E.J. Newman, G Guilbault, Z. Marczenko, H. Onishi
A cid - base An acid-base indicator is a weak acid or weak base, whose conjugate forms have distinctly different colours, e.g. for an indicator A which is a weak acid.
A Text Book For Diploma Students by Rajendra Prasad
An acid-base indicator is itself a weak acid (or its conjugate base). An acid-base indicator is a weak acid having a different colour in ...
Book + Online by Kaplan
An acid-base indicator is a weak acid or base that is sensitive to the hydrogen ion concentration and changes color at a known pH. At any other pH, the acid-base indicator is clear. Indicators Bromocresol green, bromothymol blue, and thymol ...
by D. Brynn Hibbert, A.M. James
acid-base indicator. See INDICATORs. acid-base titration. See TITRATIONs. acid dissociation constant (Ka). EQUILIBRIUM ...
A Dictionary of Chemistry (2016)
by Richard Rennie, Jonathan Law
R R Acid anhydride acid-base indicator See INDICATOR. acid dissociation constant See DISSOCIATION. acid dye See DYEs. acid halides See ACYL HALIDEs. acidic 1. Describing a compound that is an acid. 2.
by E.G. Gregorich, L. W. Turchenek, M.R. Carter, Denis A. Angers
déblais acides acid-base indicator A substance that marks the end point of an acid-base acidity, salt-replaceable titration by changing ...
by Anand Dhingra
ACID-BASE INDICATOR : Aromatic compounds which exhibit change in colour within a narrow range of change of pH. Used in titrations to determine end point. Generally indicators act as weak acids or weak bases, e.g., phenolphthalein, ...
Materials, Processes and Equipment by David F. Tver
The familiar phenolphthalein, an acid-base indicator rather ...
by American Heritage Dictionary
acid-base indicator A substance, such as litmus paper, that indicates the degree of acidity or basicity of a solution ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acid-Base Indicator
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Acid-Base Indicator
Acid-base indicator Meaning
Video shows what acid-base indicator means. A substance that shows the acidity or alkalinity of a solution by its colour.. acid-base indicator synonyms: pH ...
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Acid-Base Indicator for some fun with words!