On this page:
Definition of the noun acocanthera
What does acocanthera mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- small genus of trees and shrubs containing strongly toxic cardiac glycosides; Arabia to Africa
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonyms of Acocanthera: Acokanthera / genus Acocanthera / genus Acokanthera
- more generic terms: dicot genus / magnoliopsid genus = genus of flowering plants having two cotyledons (embryonic leaves) in the seed which usually appear at germination
- member of: Apocynaceae / dogbane family / family Apocynaceae = chiefly tropical trees or shrubs or herbs having milky juice and often showy flowers
- Acocanthera oblongifolia / Acocanthera spectabilis / poison arrow plant / winter sweet = medium-sized shrubby tree of South Africa having thick leathery evergreen leaves and white or pink flowers and globose usually two-seeded purplish black fruits
- Acocanthera oppositifolia / Acocanthera venenata / bushman's poison / ordeal tree = evergreen shrub or tree of South Africa
Phrases with Acocanthera
- acocanthera venenata
- acocanthera spectabilis
- acocanthera oblongifolia
- acocanthera oppositifolia
- genus acocanthera
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acocanthera
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Acocanthera, Akokanthora (ak-o-kan-the'rah). A genus of apocynaceous plants growing in Africa, several species of which furnish an arrow-poison used by the natives. A. unma'ta furnishes ouabain. acocantherin (ak-o-kan'ther-in).
[Acocanthera (see def.) ...
A Kaffir-English Dictionary (1899)
by Albert Kropf
Acocanthera Thunbergii, or Toxicophloea Thunb.
by Robert Alan Lewis
Acocanthera (Akocanthera). a genus of plants (Family Apocynaceae), the stems and leaves of which yield cardiotoxic substances used by various tribes to make arrow poisons and sometimes in trial by ordeal. Thus, poison makers of the ...
oubain /wäbā′′in/, a crystalline glycoside derived from the seeds of Strophanthus gratus and the wood of Acocanthera ...
(based on Mayne's Lexicon) by Henry Power, Leonard William Sedgwick
The Acocanthera venenata. J., Spanish. The Jasminum grandiflorum. J., trumpet. The Tecoma radicans. J., Virginian. The Tecoma radicans. J., white. The Jasminum officinale. J., wild. (F. jasmin sauvagc.) The Gel- sentium nitidum. J., yellow.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acocanthera
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1C3O1C3A1N1T1H4E1R1A1
The value of this 11-letter word is 18 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACOCANTHERA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Acocanthera!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Acocanthera to find many related words and phrases!