On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acoustic device
What does acoustic device mean as a name of something?
- a device for amplifying or transmitting sound
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- more specific terms:
- bell = a hollow device made of metal that makes a ringing sound when struck
- birdcall = a device for imitating a birdcall
- ear trumpet / hearing aid = a conical acoustic device formerly used to direct sound to the ear of a hearing-impaired person
- megaphone = a cone-shaped acoustic device held to the mouth to intensify and direct the human voice
- mouthpiece = an acoustic device
- mute = a device used to soften the tone of a musical instrument
- silencer / muffler = a tubular acoustic device inserted in the exhaust system that is designed to reduce noise
- siren = an acoustic device producing a loud often wailing sound as a signal or warning
- slapstick = acoustic device consisting of two paddles hinged together
- speaking trumpet = a trumpet-shaped acoustic device to intensify and direct the human voice
- whistle = acoustic device that forces air or steam against an edge or into a cavity and so produces a loud shrill sound
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acoustic Device
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Volume Velocity For measurement of the acoustic impedance within an acoustic device, the sound pressure can be measured with the aid of a probe tube (Section 1, A, 8), but measurement of the acoustic particle or volume velocity is ...
An International Encyclopedia from 5000 B.C. to the 21st Century by Diagram Group
Acoustic devices (above) The Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) 500 is capable ...
The Military Dictionary (1987)
An acoustic device, used mainly for the detection of submarines which, when activated, transmits information by radio.
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
acoustic device whose operation is based on the energy produced by the change in dimensions of an electrostrictive material, such as barium titinate. Thus , electrostrictive microphone, electrostrictive transducer. electrosurgery Medicine, ...
A Dictionary of Dentistry (2010)
by Robert Ireland
An acoustic device for listening to sounds within the body ( auscultation). It is most often used to listen to heart sounds and breathing, although it may also be used to listen to intestines and blood flow in arteries and veins.
by Donald Launer
LRAD an acronym for long range acoustic device, also sometimes referred to as a sonic cannon. LRAD is an acoustical dish used by the Navy that blasts a ...
by Norman Hyne Ph.D.
Sid, sid side-scan sonar an acoustic device used to image the ...
by Craig J. Forsyth, Heith Copes
At sea, a captain has the following means of deterrence: evasive maneuvers, fire hoses, bright lighting, mustering, LRAD (long range acoustic device), and broadcasting ...
by Xuhua Chen
acoustic device that forces air or steam against an edge or into a cavity and so produces a loud shrill sound 4. the act ...
Concise English Dictionary (2007)
by Wordsworth Editions, Limited
one who talks too much or too offensively: a boaster; loud'speak'er an electro- acoustic device which ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acoustic Device
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acoustic Device
If you need images about Acoustic Device for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acoustic Device to see it in context!