On this page:
Definition of the noun acquaintanceship
What does acquaintanceship mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: acquaintanceships
- a relationship less intimate than friendship
- example: I came to know the man who is now my husband through e-mail; from an acquaintanceship started in that odd way before a month had passed we found ourselves resolving to get married.
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonym of acquaintanceship: acquaintance
- more generic word: relationship = a state involving mutual dealings between people or parties or countries
Alternative definition of the noun acquaintanceship
- [uncountable] The state of being acquainted; acquaintance.
- [countable] An acquaintance.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acquaintanceship
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Second Symposium on Intelligence and Security Informatics, ISI 2004, Tucson, AZ, USA, June 10-11, 2004, Proceedings by Hsinchun Chen, Reagan Moore, Daniel D. Zeng, John Leavitt
Acquaintanceship is a reasonable, although not perfect, surrogate for correlation in the kind of datasets we are interested in – we would not be surprised that acquaintances would turn out to be fairly well correlated in large datasets – they live ...
by Bryan A. Garner
acquaintanceship is a NeeDLESS variant of acquaintance; it adds nothing to the language except another syllable, which we scarcely need. E.g., "The trial judge's acquaintanceship [read acquaintance] with the witness was ...
by Henry Watson Fowler, Jeremy Butterfield
acquaintanceship. Categorized by Fowler as a 'needless variant ' for acquaintance, this word has a respectable pedigree, and dates to at least 1640, but in current use is very much a minority taste. Strictly speaking it refers to ...
A Dictionary of Psychology (2015)
by Andrew M. Colman
The finding that two people A and B, chosen at random, tend to be connected by a surprisingly short acquaintanceship chain, A knowing someone who knows someone...who knowsB.
by Cambridge University Press
• acquaintanceship /a'kwem.Pnt.Jip/ noun [C or U] FORMAL Ours was a strictly professional acquaintanceship (= relationship). ▻ idiom have ...
by Bryan A. Garner
they do not argue for a startling new interpretation, they may be accused of venturing into an alien field without adequate acquaintanceship [read acquaintance] with the literature, producing muddled work that merely repeats insights ...
Split, to inform against one's companions, to tell tales, "To SPLIT with" a person, to cease acquaintanceship; to quarrel. Also to divide a bottle of aerated water ; as , " two brandies and a soda split ;" in which case " to split with " a person has a ...
by J. M. Pinto
Acquaintanceship, .A- vein- Heas-ship, N. Vollkicho. Acquire ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acquaintanceship
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Acquaintanceship
Video shows what acquaintanceship means. The state of being acquainted; acquaintance.. An acquaintance.. Acquaintanceship Meaning. How to pronounce ...
Scrabble value of A1C3Q10U1A1I1N1T1A1N1C3E1S1H4I1P3
The value of this 16-letter word is 34 points. Since it has more than 15 letters, it can be played on Super Scrabble board only.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acquaintanceship to see it in context!