On this page:
- Definition of the verb acquire
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acquire
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acquire
- Usage statistics about acquire
- Photos about Acquire
- Video language resources about Acquire
- Quotes about Acquire
- Scrabble value of A1C3Q10U1I1R1E1
- Anagrams of ACQUIRE
- Share this page
The word acquire and its family (acquired, acquires, acquiring, acquisition, acquisitions) are included in the Academic Word List by Dr. Averil Coxhead, which contains the 570 most frequent word families used in academic texts from a variety of subject areas, of interest for students that learn the words most needed to study at tertiary institutions.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb acquire
What does acquire mean as a doing word?
Acquire is one of the top 1000 most common verbs in the English language.
verb - inflections: acquired | acquiring | acquires
- come into the possession of something concrete or abstract
- examples: They acquired a new pet | The children acquire the ball
Syntactic formula Example for the syntactic formula [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] Carmen bought a dress | Carmen obtained the spare part [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] for [Asset] Carmen purchased a dress for $50 [Agent - being or organization] [Verb] [Theme] from [Source] Carmen bought a dress from Diana | Carmen obtained the spare part from Diana [Asset - currency] [Verb] [Theme] $50 won't even buy a dress | $50 won't even purchase a dress
- lexical domain: Possession - verbs of buying, selling, owning
- synonym of acquire: get
- more specific terms:
- isolate = obtain in pure form
- get back / win back = recover something or somebody that appeared to be lost
- press out / express / extract = obtain from a substance, as by mechanical action
- capture / catch = capture as if by hunting, snaring, or trapping
- come into / come by = obtain, especially accidentally
- purchase / buy = obtain by purchase
- charter / engage / lease / hire / rent / take = engage for service under a term of contract
- receive / have = get something
- turn = get by buying and selling
- buy = acquire by trade or sacrifice or exchange
- find = obtain through effort or management
- glom = seize upon or latch onto something
- enter upon / come upon / luck into = take possession of
- get hold / come up / line up / find = get something or somebody for a specific purpose
- accept / have / take = receive willingly something given or offered
- obtain = come into possession of
- retrieve / recover / regain / find = get or find back
- catch = get or regain something necessary, usually quickly or briefly
- recuperate / recover / recoup = regain or make up for
- repossess / reclaim = claim back
- regain / find = come upon after searching
- gain / win = win something through one's efforts
- bring in / pull in / realise / realize / take in / clear / earn / gain / make = earn on some commercial or business transaction
- garner / earn / win = acquire or deserve by one's efforts or actions
- benefit / profit / gain = derive a benefit from
- partake in / partake / share = have, give, or receive a share of
- preempt = acquire for oneself before others can do so
- preempt = gain possession of by prior right or opportunity, especially so as to obtain the right to buy
- gather up / call for / collect / pick up = gather or collect
- inherit = obtain from someone after their death
- borrow = get temporarily
- pick up = get in addition, as an increase
- get = acquire as a result of some effort or action
- poll = get the votes of
- take on a certain form, attribute, or aspect
- come to have or undergo a change of (physical features and attributes)
- lexical domain: Body Actions - verbs of grooming, dressing and bodily care
- synonyms of acquire: develop / get / grow / produce
- more generic word: change = undergo a change; become different in essence
- more specific terms:
- feather / fledge = grow feathers
- regrow = grow anew or continue growth after an injury or interruption
- spring = develop suddenly
- sprout / stock = put forth and grow sprouts or shoots
- tiller / stool = grow shoots in the form of stools or tillers
- leaf = produce leaves, of plants
- pod = produce pods, of plants
- teethe = grow teeth
- pupate = develop into a pupa
- work up / get up = develop
- cut = have grow through the gums
- locate (a moving entity) by means of a tracking system such as radar
- win something through one's efforts
- gain knowledge or skills
- example: Children acquire language at an amazing rate
- lexical domain: Cognition - verbs of thinking, judging, analyzing, doubting
- synonyms of acquire: larn / learn
- more specific terms:
- gain through experience
Alternative definition of the verb acquire
- To get.
- To gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own, as, to acquire a title, riches, knowledge, skill, good or bad habits.
Acquire Corp. is a video game developer based in Japan, mainly known for their Tenchu and Way of the Samurai series.
- official website: www.acquire.co.jp
Acquire is a board game designed by Sid Sackson. The game was originally published in 1962 by 3M as a part of their bookshelf games series. In most versions, the theme of the game is investing in hotel chains. In the 1990s Hasbro edition, the hotel chains were replaced by generic corporations, though the actual gameplay was unchanged.
- genres: German-style, Economic simulation
- publisher: Avalon Hill
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acquire
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Business Philosopher (1919)
The Magazine of Practical Business Building
The Desire to Acquire is the great mainspring of Human Activity. Were it to cease to flow the clock of civilization and Human Progress would soon run down. , The Desire to Acquire is a law of Human Nature. It is a Universal Rule of Being and ...
35th IFIP WG 6.1 International Conference, FORTE 2015, Held as Part of the 10th International Federated Conference on Distributed Computing Techniques, DisCoTec 2015, Grenoble, France, June 2-4, 2015, Proceedings by Susanne Graf, Mahesh Viswanathan
The intuition behind release/acquire is that prior writes made to other memory locations by the thread executing the release become visible in the thread that performs the corresponding acquire. Crucially, the particular form of release/ acquire ...
Modern Cosmology (2003)
by Scott Dodelson
Clearly, then, one skill we must acquire is the ability to make predictions about the angular correlation function In Section 9.1 We will see that the angular correlation function is an integral over the 3D power spectrum. . Redshift surveys suffer ...
by John G. Sprankling
The right to acquire means that a natural or legal person is entitled to obtain property without unjustifiable interference by the state or by third parties. The distinction between an opportunity and a guarantee is inherent in this definition.
The Vampire Survival Guide (2008)
How to Fight, and Win, Against the Undead by Scott Bowen
Among the numerous survival skills the undead acquire is a magician's ability to cut glass with honed fingernails or self-made tools. They can remove panes of class so quickly and neatly that the pane appears to have simply fallen loose.
DBA Survivor (2010)
Become a Rock Star DBA by Thomas LaRock
In addition to having your own set of tools at your disposal, another good skill to acquire is the ability to remain unemotional. If you allow emotions to be a factor in your work then you will likely have clouded judgment. You need to focus on the ...
Dictionary of Philosophy (2002)
by Alan Lacey
an idea we can acquire without our being presented with an instance in experience, and without having to construct it from ideas so presented (as perhaps we construct unicorn from ...
American and Global Perspectives by David S. Clark
To acquire capital with the earnings of capital, well-capitalized people use (1) the pretax earnings of capital, (2) collateral, (3) credit, (4) insurance and capital- market mechanisms to diversify and reduce risk, and (5) a monetary policy intended ...
Encyclopaedia of the Śaivism (2004)
Hence God provides the soul with the body and the world made out of Mayai in order that the soul may step by step acquire knowledge and eliminate anavam. God does this act purely out ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acquire
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Usage statistics about acquire
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English from the later part of the 20th century, both spoken and written.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the verb acquire:
Photos about Acquire
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: jersagfast
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acquire
Click on an item to play that video:
- Acquire Meaning
Video shows what acquire means. To get.. To gain, usually by one's own exertions; to get as one's own, as, to acquire a title, riches, knowledge, skill, good or ...
- The Caution Children loop (Meaningless Symbols Acquire Meaning Despite Themselves)
- How Children Acquire and Produce Language (BBC, 2001)
CREDIT: this video excerpt is from BBC's critically acclaimed documentary, 'The Human Body'. To purchase, visit ...
- Today's Tip Helping Students Acquire Language
- How babies acquire language
- Dictionary: Acquire
MEaning of the word Aquire.
- Television as a worldwide learning tool to acquire a second language
- How child acquire a second language
- How Children Acquire Language
An Indonesian child has being observed by a girl (Amanda Ayuningtyas)...
See also the pronunciation examples of Acquire!
Quotes about Acquire
Acquire skill. Acquire knowledge.
You are not robbed.
Acquire wealth. Acquire power.
You are robbed.
Peace comes where safety rules.
18.11.2001, Pakd (Rm. Shanmugam Chettiar)
more quotes about acquire...
Scrabble value of A1C3Q10U1I1R1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACQUIRE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Acquire!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acquire to see it in context!