Act of Terrorism
On this page:
Definition of the noun act of terrorism
What does act of terrorism mean as a name of something?
- the calculated use of violence (or the threat of violence) against civilians in order to attain goals that are political or religious or ideological in nature; this is done through intimidation or coercion or instilling fear
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of act of terrorism: terrorism / terrorist act
- more generic word: terror = the use of extreme fear in order to coerce people
- more specific terms:
- biological terrorism / bioterrorism = terrorism using the weapons of biological warfare
- chemical terrorism = terrorism using the chemical agents of chemical warfare
- cyber-terrorism / cyberwar = an assault on electronic communication networks
- domestic terrorism = terrorism practiced in your own country against your own people
- ecological terrorism / ecological warfare / ecoterrorism / eco-warfare = violence carried out to further the political or social objectives of the environmentalists
- international terrorism = terrorism practiced in a foreign country by terrorists who are not native to that country
- narcoterrorism = the financing of terrorist activities by participation in the drug trade
- nuclear terrorism = the use of a nuclear device by a terrorist organization to cause massive devastation or the use (or threat of use) of fissionable radioactive materials
- state-sponsored terrorism = terrorism practiced by a government against its own people or in support of international terrorism
- theoterrorism = terrorism for a religious purpose
- terrorist attack = a surprise attack involving the deliberate use of violence against civilians in the hope of attaining political or religious aims
- instance: Red Hand Defenders / RHD = a paramilitary group of Protestants in Northern Ireland that tries to prevent any political settlement with the Irish Republic; attacks interests of Catholic civilians in Northern Ireland
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Act of Terrorism
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Terrorism Unjustified (2015)
The Use and Misuse of Political Violence by Vicente Medina
Since the deliberate or reckless killing of the innocent is equivalent to murder, and murder is always wrong, it necessarily follows that, according to Walzer, “ every act of terrorism is a wrongful act.”200 What is paradoxical is that Walzer's ...
Attacking Terrorism (2004)
Elements of a Grand Strategy by Audrey Kurth Cronin, James M. Ludes
An act of terrorism is a crime, and the perpetrator of the act is a criminal whom we also designate as a "terrorist." Terrorists may commit criminal acts that also can be committed in other contexts — for example, murder or the possession of ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
the use of resources needed to anticipate, prevent, and/or resolve a threat or an act of terrorism. It is predominantly a law enforcement response, normally executed under federal law. Also called CrM. (JP 3-28) critical asset — A specific ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Act of Terrorism
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Act of Terrorism
If you need images about Act of Terrorism for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Act of Terrorism
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Act of Terrorism to see it in context!