On this page:
- Definition of the noun acting out
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acting out
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acting out
- Photos about Acting out
- Video language resources about Acting out
- Quotes about Acting out
- Anagrams of ACTING OUT
- Share this page
Definition of the noun acting out
What does acting out mean as a name of something?
- a (usually irritating) impulsive and uncontrollable outburst by a problem child or a neurotic adult
- (psychiatry) the display of previously inhibited emotions (often in actions rather than words); considered to be healthy and therapeutic
- "Acting Out" is a book by French philosopher Bernard Stiegler. It is composed of two short works, "How I Became a Philosopher," and "To Love, To Love Me, To Love Us: From September 11 to April 21," which were published separately in French in 2003 as Passer à l'acte and Aimer, s'aimer, nous aimer: Du 11 septembre au 21 avril. Acting Out was published by Stanford University Press in 2009, and the translators were David Barison, Daniel Ross, and Patrick Crogan.
- subject: Philosophy
- "Acting out" is a book by Roland W. Betts.
- also known as "Acting out: coping with big city schools"
- "Acting out" is a book by Christen Anne Smith.
- also known as "Acting out: theater and the politics of citizenship at the periphery in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil"
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (37 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acting out
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Reference for the Education of Children, Adolescents, and Adults with Disabilities and Other Exceptional Individuals by Cecil R. Reynolds, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen
TELZROW Kent State University CONGENITAL DISORDERS MINOR PHYSICAL ANOMALIES ACTING OUT Acting out has been defined by Harriman (1975) as the “direct expression of conflicted tensions in annoying or antisocial ...
Encyclopedia of Adolescence (2014)
by Roger J.R. Levesque
Acting out can be understood from the perspective of several disciplines, but it figures most prominently in therapeutic settings and those concerned with delinquent or other risky behavior (see Alexander and Sexton M; Overbeek et al. M).
by Robert Jean Campbell
acting out action understanding Particularly in the early phase of treatment, it may take the form of disruptive, inappropriate,
by Dylan Evans, Research Fellow in the Department of Philosophy Dylan Evans
Although an element of repetition can be found in almost every human action, the term 'acting out' is usually reserved for those actions which display 'an impulsive aspect relatively out of harmony with the subject's usual motivational patterns' ...
by Robin E. Clark, Judith Freeman Clark, Christine A. Adamec
acting out The term acting out is often used to refer to aggressive or socially undesirable behavior displayed by children or adults. Some mental health professionals see such behavior as an outward manifestation of internal ( intrapsychic) ...
by Ronald Hamowy
Acting out of duty has to be distinguished from acting in accordance with duty. The latter amounts to an action conforming to what duty commands, which, for Kant, is not sufficient for moral worth. Rather, for an action to be moral, the agent has ...
by Harry J. Gensler, Earl W. Spurgin
acting out of love and gratitude toward God, and that we are to love our neighbor ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acting out
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acting out
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Acting Out
Fireworks on the 4th in Santa Maria, CA.
Photo credit: Zoramite
- Acting out cholera
Actors demonstrate the symptoms of cholera that people should watch out for, and show the audience how to chlorinate their water.
Photo credit: Oxfam East Africa
- Melissa acting out
Photo credit: The Sharpteam
- Viktor acting out
Viktor playing around
Photo credit: bytehead
- Children acting out a play in San Agustin
These kids were acting out a play and filming it.
Photo credit: amanderson2
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acting out
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Acting out!
Quotes about Acting out
It's tough when take 1 is technically okay and take 2 has better acting. Out here (Hollywood) they print the first one. That's the one where we all hit the mark on the floor and who cares about the acting. (Judy Holliday)
Anagrams of ACTING OUT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Acting out!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acting out to see it in context!