Action at Law
is an acrostic for aal.
On this page:
Definition of the noun action at law
What does action at law mean as a name of something?
- a judicial proceeding brought by one party against another; one party prosecutes another for a wrong done or for protection of a right or for prevention of a wrong
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of action at law: action / legal action
- more generic terms: legal proceeding / proceeding / proceedings = the institution of a sequence of steps by which legal judgments are invoked
- more specific terms:
- antitrust case = a legal action brought against parties who are charged with limiting free competition in the market place
- civil action = legal action to protect a private civil right or to compel a civil remedy
- counterclaim = a claim filed in opposition to another claim in a legal action
- custody case = a legal action to determine custody
- lis pendens = a pending lawsuit
- criminal prosecution / prosecution = the institution and conduct of legal proceedings against a defendant for criminal behavior
- test case / test suit = a representative legal action whose outcome is likely to become a precedent
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Action at Law
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Thomas Edlyne TOMLINS
The death of a plaintiff or defendant in an action at law, causes it to abate, that is, to fall to the ground or cease. In a suit in chancery, ...
Containing Full Definitions of the Prinicipal Terms of the Common and Civil Law, Together with Translations and Explanations of the Various Technical Phrases in Different Languages, Occurring in the Ancient and Modern Reports, and Standard Treatises; Embracing, Also, All the Principal Common and Civil Law Maxims. Compiled on the Basis of Spelman's Glossary, and Adapted to the Jurisprudence of the United States; with Copious Illustrations, Critical and Historical by Alexander Mansfield Burrill
A denial, by the defendant in an action at law, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Action at Law
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Action at Law to find many related words and phrases!