The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Usage statistics for the noun activity:
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun activity:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun activity
- Phrases with Activity
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Activity
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Activity
- Photos about Activity
- Video language resources about Activity
- Sign language
- Quotes about Activity
- Scrabble value of A1C3T1I1V4I1T1Y4
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun activity
What does activity mean as a name of something?
Activity is one of the top 1000 most common nouns. It is used mostly in informational writing, being one of the top 1000 most common nouns in informational written English.
noun - plural: activities
- any specific behavior
- example: they avoided all recreational activity
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- antonym: inactivity
- more generic terms: act / deed / human action / human activity = something that people do or cause to happen
- more specific terms:
- update = the act of bringing someone or something up to date
- variation / variance = an activity that varies from a norm or standard
- space walk = any kind of physical activity outside a spacecraft by one of the crew
- domesticity = domestic activities or life
- operation = the activity of operating something
- operation = a planned activity involving many people performing various actions
- practice / pattern = a customary way of operation or behavior
- recreation / diversion = an activity that diverts or amuses or stimulates
- cup of tea / dish / bag = an activity that you like or at which you are superior
- follow-up / followup = an activity that continues something that has already begun or that repeats something that has already been done
- game = a contest with rules to determine a winner
- play / turn = the activity of doing something in an agreed succession
- music = musical activity
- performing / playacting / playing / acting = the performance of a part or role in a drama
- liveliness / animation = general activity and motion
- burst / fit = a sudden flurry of activity
- work = activity directed toward making or doing something
- deeds / works = performance of moral or religious acts
- service = the acts performed by an English feudal tenant for the benefit of his lord which formed the consideration for the property granted to him
- line of work / occupation / business / line / job = the principal activity in your life that you do to earn money
- occupation = any activity that occupies a person's attention
- committal to writing / writing = the activity of putting something in written form
- role = normal or customary activity of a person in a particular social setting
- wrongful conduct / actus reus / misconduct / wrongdoing = activity that transgresses moral or civil law
- wastefulness / dissipation / waste = useless or profitless activity
- endeavour / endeavor / attempt / effort / try = earnest and conscientious activity intended to do or accomplish something
- control = the activity of managing or exerting control over something
- protection = the activity of protecting someone or something
- sensory activity = activity intended to achieve a particular sensory result
- educational activity / instruction / didactics / education / pedagogy / teaching = the activities of educating or instructing
- preparation / grooming / training = activity leading to skilled behavior
- representation = an activity that stands as an equivalent of something or results in an equivalent
- creative activity / creation = the human act of creating
- dismantlement / disassembly / dismantling = the act of taking something apart
- puncture = the act of puncturing or perforating
- hunting / search / hunt = the activity of looking thoroughly in order to find something or someone
- utilisation / utilization / employment / exercise / usage / use = the act of using
- military operation / operation = activity by a military or naval force
- measurement / mensuration / measuring / measure = the act or process of assigning numbers to phenomena according to a rule
- standardisation / standardization / calibration = the act of checking or adjusting (by comparison with a standard) the accuracy of a measuring instrument
- organisation / organization = the activity or result of distributing or disposing persons or things properly or methodically
- grouping = the activity of putting things together in groups
- supporting / support = the act of bearing the weight of or strengthening
- continuation / continuance = the act of continuing an activity without interruption
- procedure / process = a particular course of action intended to achieve a result
- ceremony = any activity that is performed in an especially solemn elaborate or formal way
- ceremony = the proper or conventional behavior on some solemn occasion
- worship = the activity of worshipping
- activating / activation / energizing = the activity of causing to have energy and be active
- concealment / concealing / hiding = the activity of keeping something secret
- emplacement / positioning / placement / locating / location / position = the act of putting something in a certain place
- provision / supplying / supply = the activity of supplying or providing something
- demand = the act of demanding
- pleasure = an activity that affords enjoyment
- delectation / enjoyment = act of receiving pleasure from something
- lamentation / mourning = the passionate and demonstrative activity of expressing grief
- laughter = the activity of laughing
- market place / marketplace / market = the world of commercial activity where goods and services are bought and sold
- politics = the activities and affairs involved in managing a state or a government
- preparation / readying = the activity of putting or setting in order in advance of some act or purpose
- assistance / assist / help / aid = the activity of contributing to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose
- support = the activity of providing for or maintaining by supplying with money or necessities
- behaviour / behavior / conduct / doings = manner of acting or controlling yourself
- behaviour / behavior = the aggregate of the responses or reactions or movements made by an organism in any situation
- leadership / leading = the activity of leading
- precedence / precedency / precession = the act of preceding in time or order or rank
- solo = any activity that is performed alone without assistance
- buzz = a confusion of activity and gossip
- fun = violent and excited activity
- release / outlet / vent = activity that frees or expresses creative energy or emotion
- last = a person's dying act
- mystification / obfuscation = the activity of obscuring people's understanding, leaving them baffled or bewildered
- negotiation = the activity or business of negotiating an agreement
- verbalisation / verbalization = the activity of expressing something in words
- perturbation / disturbance = activity that is a malfunction, intrusion, or interruption
- timekeeping = the act or process of determining the time
- the state of being active
- example: his sphere of activity
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of activity: action / activeness
- antonym of activity: inactivity
- more generic word: state = the way something is with respect to its main attributes
- more specific words:
- agency = the state of being in action or exerting power
- busyness / hum = the state of being or appearing to be actively engaged in an activity
- behaviour / behavior = the action or reaction of something (as a machine or substance) under specified circumstances
- extravasation / eructation / eruption = pouring out fumes or lava
- operation = the state of being in effect or being operative
- overdrive = the state of high or excessive activity or productivity or concentration
- play = a state in which action is feasible
- swing = a state of steady vigorous action that is characteristic of an activity
- attribute: active = erupting or liable to erupt
- an organic process that takes place in the body
- example: respiratory activity
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- synonyms of activity: bodily function / bodily process / body process
- more generic terms: biological process / organic process = a process occurring in living organisms
- more specific terms:
- control = regulation or maintenance of a function or action or reflex etc
- external respiration / respiration / ventilation / breathing = the bodily process of inhalation and exhalation
- respiration = a single complete act of breathing in and out
- breath = the process of taking in and expelling air during breathing
- consumption / ingestion / intake / uptake = the process of taking food into the body through the mouth
- sexual activity / sexual practice / sex activity / sex = activities associated with sexual intercourse
- insemination = the introduction of semen into the genital tract of a female
- sleeping = the suspension of consciousness and decrease in metabolic rate
- reaction / response = a bodily process occurring due to the effect of some antecedent stimulus or agent
- weeping / crying / tears = the process of shedding tears
- ablactation = the cessation of lactation
- anastalsis = muscular action of the alimentary tract in a direction opposite to peristalsis
- discharge / expelling / emission = any of several bodily processes by which substances go out of the body
- expectoration = the process of coughing up and spitting out
- suppuration / maturation / festering = the formation of morbific matter in an abscess or a vesicle and the discharge of pus
- healing = the natural process by which the body repairs itself
- hypostasis = the accumulation of blood in an organ
- lachrymation / lacrimation / watering / tearing = shedding tears
- lactation = the production and secretion of milk by the mammary glands
- opsonisation / opsonization = process whereby opsonins make an invading microorganism more susceptible to phagocytosis
- overactivity = excessive activity
- vermiculation / peristalsis = the process of wavelike muscle contractions of the alimentary tract that moves food along
- perspiration / diaphoresis / hidrosis / sudation / sweating = the process of the sweat glands of the skin secreting a salty fluid
- phagocytosis = process in which phagocytes engulf and digest microorganisms and cellular debris
- pinocytosis = process by which certain cells can engulf and incorporate droplets of fluid
- placentation = the formation of the placenta in the uterus
- psilosis = falling out of hair
- tanning = process in which skin pigmentation darkens as a result of exposure to ultraviolet light
- transpiration = the process of giving off or exhaling water vapor through the skin or mucous membranes
- (chemistry) the capacity of a substance to take part in a chemical reaction
- a process existing in or produced by nature (rather than by the intent of human beings)
- example: volcanic activity
- lexical domain: Natural Processes - nouns denoting natural processes
- synonyms of activity: action / natural action / natural process
- more generic terms: physical process / process = a sustained phenomenon or one marked by gradual changes through a series of states
- more specific terms:
- radiation = the spread of a group of organisms into new habitats
- absorption = the process in which incident radiated energy is retained without reflection or transmission on passing through a medium
- acidification = the process of becoming acid or being converted into an acid
- adiabatic process = any process that occurs without gain or loss of heat
- aeration = the process of exposing to air
- antiredeposition = the process of preventing redeposition
- capture = any process in which an atomic or nuclear system acquires an additional particle
- capture = a process whereby a star or planet holds an object in its gravitational field
- centrifugation = the process of separating substances of different densities by the use of a centrifuge
- chemical process / chemical action / chemical change = any process determined by the atomic and molecular composition and structure of the substances involved
- chromatography = a process used for separating mixtures by virtue of differences in absorbency
- concretion = the formation of stonelike objects within a body organ
- condensation = the process of changing from a gaseous to a liquid or solid state
- convection = the vertical movement of heat or other properties by massive motion within the atmosphere
- coagulation / clotting / curdling = the process of forming semisolid lumps in a liquid
- decay = the process of gradually becoming inferior
- demagnetisation / demagnetization = the process of removing magnetization
- desorption = changing from an adsorbed state on a surface to a gaseous or liquid state
- diffusion = the process in which there is movement of a substance from an area of high concentration of that substance to an area of lower concentration
- disintegration / dissolution = separation into component parts
- distillation / distillment = the process of purifying a liquid by boiling it and condensing its vapors
- drift = the gradual departure from an intended course due to external influences
- effervescence = the process of bubbling as gas escapes
- electrophoresis / dielectrolysis / cataphoresis / ionophoresis = the motion of charged particles in a colloid under the influence of an electric field
- establishment / ecesis = the process by which a plant or animal becomes established in a new habitat
- extinction = the reduction of the intensity of radiation as a consequence of absorption and radiation
- extraction = the process of obtaining something from a mixture or compound by chemical or physical or mechanical means
- feedback = the process in which part of the output of a system is returned to its input in order to regulate its further output
- filtration = the process whereby fluids pass through a filter or a filtering medium
- flocculation = the process of flocculating
- flow = any uninterrupted stream or discharge
- formation = natural process that causes something to form
- fossilisation / fossilization = the process of fossilizing a plant or animal that existed in some earlier age
- geological process / geologic process = a natural process whereby geological features are modified
- solidification / solidifying / hardening / curing / set = the process of becoming hard or solid by cooling or drying or crystallization
- inactivation = the process of rendering inactive
- ion exchange = a process in which ions are exchanged between a solution and an insoluble (usually resinous) solid
- ionisation / ionization = the process of ionizing
- leaching / leach = the process of leaching
- magnetic induction / magnetisation / magnetization = the process that makes a substance magnetic
- materialisation / materialization = the process of coming into being
- nuclear reaction = a process that alters the energy or structure or composition of atomic nuclei
- opacification = the process of becoming cloudy or opaque
- oscillation = the process of oscillating between states
- oxygenation = the process of providing or combining or treating with oxygen
- pair production / pair formation / pair creation = the transformation of a gamma-ray photon into an electron and a positron when the photon passes close to an atomic nucleus
- phase transition / physical change / phase change / state change = a change from one state (solid or liquid or gas) to another without a change in chemical composition
- precession of the equinoxes = a slow westward shift of the equinoxes along the plane of the ecliptic caused by precession of the Earth's axis of rotation
- release = a process that liberates or discharges something
- saltation = the leaping movement of sand or soil particles as they are transported in a fluid medium over an uneven surface
- scattering = the physical process in which particles are deflected haphazardly as a result of collisions
- sericulture = raising silkworms in order to obtain raw silk
- sink = a process that acts to absorb or remove energy or a substance from a system
- soakage / soaking / soak = the process of becoming softened and saturated as a consequence of being immersed in water
- softening = the process of becoming softer
- sorption = the process in which one substance takes up or holds another
- source = a process by which energy or a substance enters a system
- rigidification / rigidifying / stiffening = the process of becoming stiff or rigid
- stimulation = the effect of a stimulus
- ecological succession / succession = the gradual and orderly process of change in an ecosystem brought about by the progressive replacement of one community by another until a stable climax is established
- survival of the fittest / natural selection / selection / survival = a natural process resulting in the evolution of organisms best adapted to the environment
- synergism / synergy = the working together of two things (muscles or drugs for example) to produce an effect greater than the sum of their individual effects
- temperature change = a process whereby the degree of hotness of a body (or medium) changes
- transduction = the process whereby a transducer accepts energy in one form and gives back related energy in a different form
- transpiration = the passage of gases through fine tubes because of differences in pressure or temperature
- vitrification = the process of becoming vitreous
- the trait of being active; moving or acting rapidly and energetically
- example: the level of activity declines with age
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonym of activity: activeness
- more generic word: trait = a distinguishing feature of your personal nature
- more specific words:
Alternative definition of the noun activity
- The state or quality of being active; nimbleness; agility; vigorous action or operation; energy; active force; as, an increasing variety of human activities.
- antonym: rest
- something done as an action or a movement
- antonym: passivity
- something done for pleasure or entertainment, especially one involving movement or an excursion.
- Use (of internet, playstation, bank account etc.)
Specialised definition of the noun activity
Glossary of sports
something that someone does (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
the characteristic behaviour of a chemical (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
"Activity" is a composition.
- Activity a.k.a. Thermodynamic activity: In chemical thermodynamics, activity is a measure of the “effective concentration” of a species in a mixture, in the sense that the species' chemical potential depends on the activity of a real solution in the same way that it would depend on concentration for an ideal solution.
- read more about Thermodynamic activity
- Activity: An activity in Unified Modeling Language is a major task that must take place in order to fulfill an operation contract.
Phrases with Activity
- Activity Trap
- sex activity
- human activity
- sexual activity
- social activity
- Hive of Activity
- optical activity
- sensory activity
- business activity
- creative activity
- catalytic activity
- offensive activity
- commercial activity
- government activity
- spare-time activity
- subversive activity
- educational activity
- bond-trading activity
- intelligence activity
- agglutinating activity
View more phrases with the word Activity in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Activity
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Dynamics of Fit by Richard M. Burton, Borge Obel
A firm whose primary activity is the conversion of raw materials, parts and subassemblies into finished products for use by a customer. The manufacturing transformation requires equipment and personnel. It may be either capital or labor ...
by Paul Edwards, Sarah Edwards, Peter Economy
whether a particular activity is a business or a hobby. In fact, a person's knowledge or effort in managing a successful enterprise has been considered by the courts in several cases. Similarly, if the home-based busi- nessperson has retained ...
by Neil Armstrong, Willem van Mechelen
Physical activity is a complex behaviour, comprising various dimensions.
Moderate intensity activity refers to a level of 3–6 METS in adults 5 and...
Nutritional Epidemiology (2013)
by Walter Willett
hysical activity is the most important determinant of between-person variation in total energy expenditure (see Chapter 11) after...
Physical activity is a complex behavior that includes multiple dimensions such as type, duration, frequency, and intensity.
Theatre of Exile (2015)
by Horacio Czertok
The activity is the reason for the antagonist being there, and not the exercise as such,
Exercise Therapy (2009)
Prevention and Treatment of Disease by John Gormley, Juliette Hussey
One of the greatest obstacles to validating field methods of assessing habitual physical activity is a lack of an adequate criterion to which techniques may be compared. Doubly labelled water (DLW) is considered the gold standard for the ...
A Reference Guide by Jack Stark
Thus, litigation about whether an activity is a lottery has always turned on whether there was consideration. "Consideration" is "a disadvantage to the one party or an advantage ...
Be Active, Healthy, and Happy!
Vigorous-intensity activity is a 7 or 8. For More Information See Appendix 1 for more information on using absolute or relative intensity. The Guidelines for adults refer to absolute intensity because most studies demonstrating lower risks of ...
Encyclopedia of Obesity (2008)
J - Z by Kathleen Keller
PHysiCal aCtivity There is strong evidence of the health benefits of physical activity including improvements in longevity, cardiovascular diseases (CVDs), CVD risk factors, diabetes, obesity, osteoporosis, immune functioning, certain types of ...
Encyclopedia of Creativity (1999)
by Mark A. Runco, Steven R. Pritzker
umane creativity includes any creative activity that promotes humane values and goals, humane communication ...
by Martha Craft-Rosenberg, Shelley-Rae Pehler
Health-related fitness focuses on achieving optimal health through physical activity while preventing disease associated with a sedentary lifestyle: It is comprised of cardiovascular fitness, muscular fitness—including endurance, strength, and ...
by Hano Johannsen, G.Terry Page
activity 1 decision analysis and relations analysis. Activities analysis is used to establish what are the key activities in the company, as distinct from generalized assumptions. activity. 1. An operation or work activity in critical path planning or ...
Volume 67 (Supplement 30) by Allen Kent
then make duplicates of the resource and let the first activity use the original resource and the second activity use duplicate ...
by Mary Harwell Sayler, Arya Nick Shamie
activity, daily 5 multistoried buildings with stairs, and social events involving activities offer options too. Statistics and Studies More than half of the adults and one-third of the adolescents in America do less physical activities than needed to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Activity
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Activity
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: paolofefe
Washington Square park,NY
Photo credit: dee_dee_creamer
- Volcanic activity
Photo credit: andymag
- Activity stream
User page showing activity stream for the user.
Photo credit: okfn
- APPLE WATCH - Activity App
Photo credit: shinya
- Activity stream
Photo credit: Dan Gravell
- Google Account Activity
Settled down this week.
Google+ | 500px | Twitter | LinkedIn
Photo credit: AJ Batac
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Activity
Click on an item to play that video:
- Back to School Vocabulary Activity
Back to School Vocabulary Matching Activity: ...
- Betfair Trading Video - Tennis strategy and bet activity explanation
To help explain blog post -...
- Activity Meaning
Video shows what activity means. The state or quality of being active; nimbleness; agility; vigorous action or operation; energy; active force; as, an increasing ...
- ETEC 570 - Virtual Field Trip Activity Explanation
Google Cultural Institute...
- Vocabulary Activity
- ER- Diagram Explanation Google student club activity 3 subject DBMS CSE Btech 5th SEM
- Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 2 : Day & Night
Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 2 : Day & Night Which is your favorite? Day or Night? Here, Larry explores them both and ...
- Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 5 : In/Out
Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 5 : In/Out Video series for children for learning the English language. English for children ...
- Physics - Hooke's Law Activity Explanation
Physics - Hooke's Law Activity Explanation.
- SMART Table Activity - Multiple Meaning Words
This lesson targets understanding and use of basic multiple meaning words. Students trace pictures and words to visualize and learn multiple meaning words, ...
- SMART Table Activity - Double Meaning Words 2
Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on kindergarten reading and content. Identify new meanings for ...
- Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 3 : Hot & Cold
Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 3 : Hot & Cold Play alongside Larry as you get to know the words and meaning of hot and ...
- Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 7 : Above/Below
Baby Educational | Vocabulary: Prepositions and Opposites | Activity 7 : Above/Below Keep playing and exploring with Larry as he learns the difference between ...
- SMART Table Activity - Vocabulary - School Supplies
Students will demonstrate an understanding of vocabulary associated with elementary student school supplies and elementary classroom supplies and furniture.
- Catalytic activity Meaning
Video shows what catalytic activity means. The increase in rate of a chemical reaction caused by the presence of a catalyst.. An amount of catalyst, expressed as ...
- Physics - Energy Skate Park Activity Explanation
Physics - Energy Skate Park Activity Explanation.
- Word Webs--A PreK/K (Stage 0) Vocabulary Activity to Build Knowledge Networks
The Word Web Activity is designed to help students retrieve and build networks of vocabulary words. The graphic organizer--either a template or graphic that is ...
- Learn English: Vocabulary and mood activity by Professor Porreca
Learn English with Professor Porreca! Vocabulary is so important, and so is being in a good mood! Practice this game over and over, to increase your word bank ...
- Root Definition Activity
In this video you can watch how some students apply the root definition on case of Albion Group. This, is part of a class activity designed by the profesor of ...
- Vocabulary Activity
- A Simple ESL Activity to Kill Time
ESL warm-up activity for mid-level ESL students.
- ESL Listening activity - This is America
UPPER ELEMENTARY QUESTIONS: The date when the story begins is ... ? Who were the people on the board? (How many of them were there?) What were ...
- Walkie Talkie Activity - ESL/EFL
- Noun activity
A presentation by Mrs McFillin- St Christopher School.
- Preschool activity - Oral language
- Preschool Language Activities in Montessori : Letter Basket Montessori Activity
Teaching preschoolers to identify objects is the foundation for language skills. Learn a letter basket Montessori activity for preschoolers in this free educational ...
- Montessori Language Activities : Montessori Sand Letters Activity
Using sand Montessori letters helps your child trace and remember each letter. Learn how to use sand letters in this free educational video about language ...
- ESL - guess the commercials activity
- Beehive entrance activity description
Beehive entrance activity description.
- ESL activity for prepositions
A fun activity for prepositions.
See also the pronunciation examples of Activity!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Sign Language Activity
- SMART Table Activity - American Sign Language
American Sign Language: Learn the alphabet and signs for family members, food, animals, places, question words and other descriptives words.
- Sign Language Activity
Sign Language Activity SPD 390 Fall 2010.
- Kayla Johns - Sign Language Activity
- Sign Language Activity
Quotes about Activity
Scrabble value of A1C3T1I1V4I1T1Y4
The value of this 8-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Activity to see it in context!