Actor appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Rot can rob a born actor.
- Rot can avoid a redialed Adelaide radio van actor.
- But at a parrot cadet-like rats stare, kilted actor: rap at a tub.
The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun actor:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun actor
- Phrases with Actor
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Actor
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Actor
- Photos about Actor
- Video language resources about Actor
- Quotes about Actor
- Scrabble value of A1C3T1O1R1
- Anagrams of ACTOR
- Share this page
Fun fact! Until the 19th century the English word for actors was "hypocrites".
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun actor
What does actor mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: actors
- a theatrical performer
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of actor: histrion / player / role player / thespian
- more generic terms: performer / performing artist = an entertainer who performs a dramatic or musical work for an audience
- more specific terms:
- actress = a female actor
- barnstormer / play-actor / playactor / trouper = an actor who travels around the country presenting plays
- character actor = an actor who specializes in playing supporting roles
- comedian = an actor in a comedy
- ham actor / ham = an unskilled actor who overacts
- heavy = an actor who plays villainous roles
- ingenue = an actress who specializes in playing the role of an artless innocent young girl
- leading man = actor who plays the leading male role
- pantomimist / pantomimer / mummer / mimer / mime = an actor who communicates entirely by gesture and facial expression
- plant = an actor situated in the audience whose acting is rehearsed but seems spontaneous to the audience
- reenactor = a person who enacts a role in an event that occurred earlier
- scene-stealer = an actor who draws more attention than other actors in the same scene
- screen actor / movie actor = an actor who plays a role in a film
- principal / lead / star = an actor who plays a principal role
- spear carrier / supernumerary / extra = a minor actor in crowd scenes
- tragedian = an actor who specializes in tragic roles
- understudy / standby = an actor able to replace a regular performer when required
- upstager = a selfish actor who upstages the other actors
- walk-on = plays a small part in a dramatic production
- Allen Stewart Konigsberg / Woody Allen / Allen = United States filmmaker and comic actor
- Fred Astaire / Astaire = United States dancer and cinema actor noted for his original and graceful tap dancing
- Maurice Barrymore / Herbert Blythe / Barrymore = United States actor
- Lionel Barrymore / Barrymore = United States actor
- John Barrymore / Barrymore = United States actor
- Humphrey DeForest Bogart / Humphrey Bogart / Bogart = United States film actor
- John Wilkes Booth / Booth = United States actor and assassin of President Lincoln
- Richard Burbage / Burbage = English actor who was the first to play the leading role in several of Shakespeare's tragedies
- Richard Burton / Burton = Welsh film actor who often co-starred with Elizabeth Taylor
- James Cagney / Jimmy Cagney / Cagney = United States film actor known for his portrayals of tough characters
- Maurice Chevalier / Chevalier = French actor and cabaret singer
- Frank Cooper / Gary Cooper / Cooper = United States film actor noted for his portrayals of strong silent heroes
- Sir Noel Pierce Coward / Noel Coward / Coward = English dramatist and actor and composer noted for his witty and sophisticated comedies
- Hume Blake Cronyn / Hume Cronyn / Cronyn = Canadian actor who frequently played character parts with his wife Jessica Tandy
- Harry Lillis Crosby / Bing Crosby / Crosby = United States singer and film actor
- James Byron Dean / James Dean / Dean = United States film actor whose moody rebellious roles made him a cult figure
- Robert De Niro / De Niro = United States film actor who frequently plays tough characters
- Gerard Depardieu / Depardieu = French film actor
- John Drew / Drew = United States actor
- Douglas Elton Fairbanks / Douglas Fairbanks / Julius Ullman / Fairbanks = United States film actor noted for his swashbuckling roles
- Douglas Fairbanks Jr. / Fairbanks = United States film actor
- Henry Fonda / Fonda = United States film actor
- William Clark Gable / Clark Gable / Gable = United States film actor
- David Garrick / Garrick = English actor and theater manager who was the foremost Shakespearean actor of his day
- Mel Columcille Gerard Gibson / Mel Gibson / Gibson = Australian actor
- Arthur John Gielgud / Sir John Gielgud / Gielgud = English actor of Shakespearean roles who was also noted for appearances in films
- Cary Grant / Grant = United States actor (born in England) who was the elegant leading man in many films
- Harley Granville-Barker / Granville-Barker = English actor and dramatist and critic and director noted for his productions of Shakespearean plays
- Sir Alec Guinness / Alec Guinness / Guinness = English stage and screen actor noted for versatility
- Thomas J. Hanks / Tom Hanks / Hanks = United States film actor
- Reginald Carey Harrison / Sir Rex Harrison / Rex Harrison / Harrison = English actor on stage and in films
- John Hemminge / John Heming / Hemminge / Heming = English actor who edited the first folio of Shakespeare's plays
- Dustin Hoffman / Hoffman = versatile United States film actor
- Sir Anthony Philip Hopkins / Sir Anthony Hopkins / Anthony Hopkins / Hopkins = Welsh film actor
- Leslie Howard Stainer / Leslie Howard / Howard = English actor of stage and screen
- Asa Yoelson / Al Jolson / Jolson = United States singer (born in Russia) who appeared in the first full-length talking film
- William Henry Pratt / Boris Karloff / Karloff = United States film actor (born in England) noted for his performances in horror films
- Edmund Kean / Kean = English actor noted for his portrayals of Shakespeare's great tragic characters
- Joseph Francis Keaton / Buster Keaton / Keaton = United States comedian and actor in silent films noted for his acrobatic skills and deadpan face
- Eugene Curran Kelly / Gene Kelly / Kelly = United States dancer who performed in many musical films
- Charles Laughton / Laughton = United States film actor (born in England)
- Lee Yuen Kam / Bruce Lee / Lee = United States actor who was an expert in kung fu and starred in martial arts films
- Jack Lemmon / John Uhler / Lemmon = United States film actor
- Harold Clayton Lloyd / Harold Lloyd / Lloyd = United States comic actor in silent films
- Laszlo Lowestein / Peter Lorre / Lorre = United States actor (born in Hungary) noted for playing sinister roles
- Bela Ferenc Blasko / Bela Lugosi / Lugosi = United States film actor (born in Hungary) noted for portraying monsters
- Alfred Lunt / Lunt = United States actor who performed with his wife Lynn Fontanne in many stage productions
- E. G. Marshall / Marshall = United States actor
- Steve Martin / Martin = United States actor and comedian
- James Neville Mason / James Mason / Mason = English film actor
- Robert Mitchum / Mitchum = United States film actor
- Dudley Stuart John Moore / Dudley Moore / Moore = English actor and comedian who appeared on television and in films
- Paul Leonard Newman / Paul Newman / Newman = United States film actor
- Baron Olivier of Birghton / Sir Laurence Kerr Olivier / Laurence Olivier / Olivier = English actor best know for his Shakespearean roles
- Peter Seamus O'Toole / Peter O'Toole / O'Toole = British actor
- Sidney Poitier / Poitier = United States film actor and director
- Charles Robert Redford / Robert Redford / Redford = United States actor and filmmaker who starred with Paul Newman in several films
- Sir Ralph David Richardson / Ralph Richardson / Richardson = British stage and screen actor noted for playing classic roles
- Edward Goldenberg Robinson / Edward G. Robinson / Robinson = United States film actor noted for playing gangster roles
- George C. Scott / Scott = award-winning United States film actor
- Peter Sellers / Sellers = English comic actor
- Francis Albert Sinatra / Frank Sinatra / Sinatra = United States singer and film actor
- Otis Skinner / Skinner = United States actor
- Konstantin Sergeyevich Stanislavsky / Konstantin Sergeevich Alekseev / Konstantin Stanislavsky / Stanislavsky = Russian actor and theater director who trained his actors to emphasize the psychological motivation of their roles
- James Maitland Stewart / Jimmy Stewart / Stewart = United States film actor who portrayed incorruptible but modest heros
- Israel Strassberg / Lee Strasberg / Strasberg = United States actor and film director (born in Austria) who was a leader in developing method acting in the United States
- Erich von Stroheim / Stroheim = United States film actor (born in Austria)
- Spencer Tracy / Tracy = United States film actor who appeared in many films with Katharine Hepburn
- Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree / Tree = English actor and theatrical producer noted for his lavish productions of Shakespeare
- Peter Alexander Ustinov / Sir Peter Ustinov / Ustinov = British actor and playwright
- Duke Wayne / John Wayne / Wayne = United States film actor who played tough heroes
- George Orson Welles / Orson Welles / Welles = United States actor and filmmaker
- a person who acts and gets things done
- example: he's a principal actor in this affair
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of actor: doer / worker
- more generic words: individual / mortal / person / somebody / someone / soul = a human being
- more specific terms:
- demon = someone extremely diligent or skillful
- eager beaver / live wire / busy bee / sharpie / sharpy = an alert and energetic person
- energiser / energizer / vitaliser / vitalizer / animator = someone who imparts energy and vitality and spirit to other people
- ball of fire / go-getter / whizz-kid / whiz-kid = someone whose career progresses rapidly
- man of action / man of deeds = someone inclined to act first and think later
- ball of fire / human dynamo / powerhouse / fireball = a highly energetic and indefatigable person
"Actor", is a 1993 Iranian film directed by Mohsen Makhmalbaf. The film features Akbar Abdi as Akbar, Fatemeh Motamed-Aria as his wife, Simin, and Mahaya Petrosian as the gypsy girl. The film is a combination of fiction and reality since the leading character has the same name and occupation as the actor who portrays the role, while the details and events are fictional.
- also known as Honarpisheh, The Actor
- country: Iran
- language: Persian Language
- written by Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- edited by Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- music by Ahmad Pejman
- genre: Drama
- released in (22 years ago)
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2011 film Tent-show.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2003 film Details.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2014 film November Man.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1943 film Orient Express.
- Actor is a fictional character from the film The Best Movie 2.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1991 film/mini-serie Ålder okänd.
- Actor is a fiction character from the 2012 horror film Judge Ice.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2010 film Snowmen.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1925 film Jealousy.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1972 film Go for a Take.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2006 short comedy film Reaped.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1969 film Jahan Pyar Mile.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1967 film Jaal.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1965 film Love 65.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1963 film the prize.
- Actor is a fictional character from the film You'll Never Amount to Anything.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1995 film Nothing Funny.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2010 film How to Boil a Frog.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1957 film Rani Rupmati.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1949 film The Third Man.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1918 film Night Music.
- Actor is a fictional film character.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2011 film Oka!.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 1999 film Bade Dilwala.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2013 film I Am I.
- Actor is a fictional character from the 2010 film Preacher's Kid.
Phrases with Actor
Phrases starting with the word Actor:
Phrases ending with the word Actor:
- ham actor
- movie actor
- Voice Actor
- screen actor
- Graphium Actor
- Pamphila actor
- character actor
- Meenoplus Actor
- Lapaeumides Actor
- Papilio Jason Actor
Other phrases containing the word Actor:
View more phrases with the word Actor in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Actor
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
CAiSE 2012 International Workshops, Gdańsk, Poland, June 25-26, 2012, Proceedings by Marko Bajec, Johann Eder
Actor is an entity of the domain of interest that possesses strategic goals and can carry out actions that will fulfil those goals. It is a unit that...
Foundations of Social Theory (1994)
by James S. Coleman, James Samuel Coleman
The elementary actor is the wellspring of action, no matter how complex are the structures through which action takes place. For the theory of this book, the elementary actors as described so far constitute extraordinarily simplified abstractions ...
by Phil Husbands, Inman Harvey
A reactive actor is a control entity whose behavior is based on the sensory information it receives from the environment. The system presented within this paper, RAVE (Reactive Actors in Virtual Environments), demonstrates the successful use ...
by David Law
On the development side, the key actor is the UN Development Programme (UNDP), which has SSR- related ...
Google AdWords For Dummies (2011)
by Howie Jacobson, Joel McDonald, Kristie McDonald
The Mac actor is a hip young dude, whereas the PC actor is a pocket protector– wearing nerd who awkwardly stumbles and bumbles through life. If huge multinational companies develop personalities in the minds of consumers, your business, ...
by Wouter de Nooy, Andrej Mrvar, Vladimir Batagelj
Concept Description Section Actor Actor refers to a person, organization, or nation that is involved in a social relation. Hence, an actor is a vertex in a social network. 1.3 Acyclic network ...
An Essay in the Theory of Social Action by Talcott Parsons
Similarly, we may speak of the theory of action as always concerned with one or more such basic units of reference, human individuals, who, in this context, will be called “actors.” 2 The actor is a complex system, but can nevertheless, like the ...
After Midnight (1998)
The Life and Death of Brad Davis by Susan Bluestein Davis, Hillary De vries
"A good actor is a good actor is a good actor" was always ...
by John Russell Brown
The actor is the instrument for playing Shakespeare. That is a very intimate relationship; whatever else may be going on, ultimately the actor is the one who has to go on stage in front of everyone and speak, make sense of, and embody what ...
by Pierre-Andr Julien
The second actor is the organization or the firm,anecessary complement for the entrepreneur, and the subject of Chapter 4. The book examines the strategy, controlled by the entrepreneur, to increase the firm's knowledge and expertise, and ...
by David Padua
An actor may be viewed as an object augmented with its own control, a mailbox, and a globally unique, immutable name A A Client Client Client File : File : “open” . Create msg State State Methods Mailbox Methods State Mailbox Methods ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
Bacall Bob Dylan Charlton Heston FIELD playwright, lyricist composer opera singer actress soul musician actor actress violinist choreographer singer actress singer, dancer, entertainer violinist choreographer dancer, choreographer actor, ...
1895-1930 by Denise Lowe
Cleo Madison director/actor Frances Marion writer/director/actor Sarah Y. Mason writer June Mathis writer Lucille McVey writer/director/actor Bess Meredyth writer/ director Jane Murfin writer/director Mary Murillo writer Alla Nazimova ...
Volume 41 - Supplement 26 - Application of Bayesan Belief Networks to Highway Construction to Virtual Reality Software and Technology by Allen Kent, James G. Williams
the actor ...
by James Pustejovsky, Pierrette Bouillon, Hitoshi Isahara, Kyoko Kanzaki, Chungmin Lee
ACTOR UNDERGOER —————————————> <———— ———————————— Arg of DO 1st arg of 1st arg of 2nd arg of Arg of state do ́ (x,...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Actor
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Actor
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about An Actor.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Actor
Click on an item to play that video:
- Shatrughan Sinha describes ACTOR's definition
Watch Shotgun Shatrughan Sinha being grilled by India TV's Editor-in-chief Rajat Sharma in Aap Ki Adalat. For more content go to ...
- Actor Meaning
Video shows what actor means. A person who performs in a theatrical play or film.. One who acts; a doer.. One who takes part in a situation.. actor synonyms: ...
- Actor singamuthu's Funny & Double meaning talk about vijaykanth and his wife - Red Pix 24x7
Actor singamuthu's Direct Attack on Vijaykanth's Family in his Election Campaign - Red Pix 24x7 Singamuthu is Famous Tamil Comedy Actor. Vadivelu and ...
- Veteran Actor; Victor Olaotan Gives His Own Definition Of Nollywood
Veteran Actor; Victor Olaotan Gives His Own Definition Of Nollywood.
- Actor Vivek dressed as female in HD Double meaning super comedy www keepvid com
- Character actor Meaning
Video shows what character actor means. A supporting actor who specializes in playing eccentric or unusual roles.. Character actor Meaning. How to pronounce ...
- Racing Term #13 "Bad Actor" of Frankie Lovato's 365 Days of Terminology
- Mark Salyer, Award Winning Actor, Director and Producer - Deep South Dialect Part II
View Full Class -...
- Mark Salyer, Award Winning Actor, Director and Producer - British Dialect
View the Full Class -...
- Ted Stevens Actor - TMZ - UNDERSTANDING ACTORS VOCABULARY
Actor Ted Stevens investigates actors vocabulary as part of his continuing series of ACTORS and the ACTING WORLD.
- Actor Govinda talks about the meaning of an award- Unveiling the trophy for first Bright Awards
- Jessica Chastain - the definition of a 'brilliant actor' according to her point of view
Jessica Chastain at GFF 2013.
- Actor Sharman Joshi talks about what is the meaning of power-Something to respect,handle with care
- Actor Jeetendra Speaks Very Good Marathi Language
Jeetendra At Inauguration Of Koli Mahotsav.
- Actor Job Description
- (G) Actor - 'Barriers' Language Learning Online
- Advert: Language is Music with actor Agam
- Actor Patrik Karlson - English language sample
- Advert: Language is Music - with actor Agam Marwah
- Advert: Language is Music - with actor Agam Bir
- Khmer (Cambodian) voice over talent, artist, actor 11902 Noun - narrative on globevoices.com
11902-Noun is a Khmer (Cambodian) male voice talent on globevoices.com Link: ...
View more videos about Voice Actor.
See also the pronunciation examples of Actor!
Quotes about Actor
My dad had been an actor... not only had my dad been an actor, but his dad had been an actor, and my great-grandfather had been an actor. And who knows before then? (David Hyde Pierce)
more quotes about actor...
Scrabble value of A1C3T1O1R1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACTOR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Actor!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Actor to see it in context!