On this page:
Definition of the noun actual damages
What does actual damages mean as a name of something?
- (law) compensation for losses that can readily be proven to have occurred and for which the injured party has the right to be compensated
- domain: jurisprudence / law
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of actual damages: compensatory damages / general damages
- more generic words: amends / damages / indemnification / indemnity / redress / restitution = a sum of money paid in compensation for loss or injury
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Actual Damages
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Denise Evans, O. William Evans
actual damages ADC loan actual damages Losses or injuries for which the law allows compensation as a means of reim- bursement; used also to refer to the money awarded by a court as that compensation. Contrast with nominal damages, ...
by Steven H. Gifis
COMPENSATORY DAMAGES see ACTUAL DAMAGES above. CONSEQUENTIAL [SPECIAL] DAMAGES indirect loss or injury. In contract law, consequential damages are recoverable if it was reasonably foreseeable at the time of contract ...
by W. Davis Folsom, Rick Boulware
“Actual damages” refers to real damages suffered. In some cases, courts and juries may award “punitive” or “exemplary” damages when the defendant's conduct was outrageous and future deterrence is desired. Punitive damages are often a ...
Debtor's Dictionary (2010)
The American Encyclopedia of Consumer Credit by Sidney Moore
Civil liability for willful noncompliance include actual damages of not less than $100 and not more than $1000, or in the...
report under false pretenses of knowingly without a permissible purpose, the actual damages or $1000— whichever is ...
by Jack P. Friedman, Ph.D., J. Bruce Lindeman, Ph.D.
ACTUAL DAMAGES for purposes of just compensation, losses incurred as a direct result of CONDEMNATION of private property. Does not include compensation for INDIRECT, SEVERANCE, or CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. Example: When ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Actual Damages
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Actual Damages to see it in context!