The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun actus reus:
On this page:
Definition of the noun actus reus
What does actus reus mean as a name of something?
- activity that transgresses moral or civil law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of actus reus: misconduct / wrongdoing / wrongful conduct
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- brutalisation / brutalization = the activity of treating someone savagely or viciously
- encroachment / usurpation / intrusion / violation / trespass = entry to another's property without right or permission
- civil wrong / tort = any wrongdoing for which an action for damages may be brought
- malversation = misconduct in public office
- misbehaviour / misbehavior / misdeed = improper or wicked or immoral behavior
- dereliction = willful negligence
- malfeasance = wrongful conduct by a public official
- misfeasance = doing a proper act in a wrongful or injurious manner
- malpractice = a wrongful act that the actor had no right to do
- malpractice = professional wrongdoing that results in injury or damage
- perversion = the action of perverting something
- injury = wrongdoing that violates another's rights and is unjustly inflicted
- injury = an act that causes someone or something to receive physical damage
- shabbiness / unfairness / injustice / iniquity = an unjust act
- infliction = an act causing pain or damage
- transgression / evildoing = the act of transgressing
- dishonesty / knavery = lack of honesty
- misrepresentation / falsification = a willful perversion of facts
- champerty = an unethical agreement between an attorney and client that the attorney would sue and pay the costs of the client's suit in return for a portion of the damages awarded
- criminal maintenance / maintenance = the unauthorized interference in a legal action by a person having no interest in it (as by helping one party with money or otherwise to continue the action) so as to obstruct justice or promote unnecessary litigation or unsettle the peace of the community
- infringement / violation = an act that disregards an agreement or a right
Alternative definition of the noun actus reus
- [legal] a physical act that attracts criminal sanctions.
Actus reus, sometimes called the external element or the objective element of a crime, is the Latin term for the "guilty act" which, when proved beyond a reasonable doubt in combination with the mens rea, "guilty mind", produces criminal liability in the common law-based criminal law jurisdictions of Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England and Wales, Colombia, Ghana, Ireland and the United States of America. In the United States of America, some crimes also require proof of an attendant circumstance.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Actus reus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by David Levinson
fl CRIMINAL DEFENSES In the Anglo American system of criminal justice, most crimes have at least two minimum elements: actus reus, the criminal act or omission, and mens rea, the required mental ...
by David Andrew Schultz
actus reus 7 law, the latter crime was called “misprision of felony” but was generally limited to those who failed to disclose or actively concealed the commission of a felony. An accessory is similar to an accomplice, in that both assist the ...
by Bruce A. Arrigo
Actus reus is the physical, observable aspect of a crime, and comprises a bodily action, threat of action, or in some cases an omission or refusal to act. To be held legally responsible for some crimes requires both an actus reus, Latin for “guilty ...
ACTUS REUS (äkt′ -ŭs rā′ -ŭs)—Lat .: loosely ...
by Gerald Hill Attorney
actus reus ...
by Louis J. Palmer, Jr.
Actus Reus The phrase is used to refer to the element of an offense that ...
by Talal Abu-Ghazaleh Organization
reus absolvitur Actori incumbit onus probandi Legal actor actrix Actual Actual loss Actual value Actus Actus non رfacit return, nisi mens sif reg Actus reus Called to the bar Ad diem Ad excambium Ad questionem facti non respondent judices, ...
by Mark S. Davis
Actus reus is an act, which when combined with intent, constitutes a crime. See mens rea. Adam Walsh Child Protection and Safety Act a federal law enacted in 2006 which defines three tiers of sex offenders and requires them to comply with ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Actus reus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Actus reus
Actus reus Meaning
Video shows what actus reus means. A criminal act, considered as separate from the intentions or state of mind of the perpetrator.. Actus reus Meaning. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Actus reus!
Quotes about Actus reus
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'actus reus"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Actus reus to find many related words and phrases!