The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun actus reus:
On this page:
Definition of the noun actus reus
What does actus reus mean as a name of something?
- activity that transgresses moral or civil law
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- synonyms of actus reus: misconduct / wrongdoing / wrongful conduct
- more generic word: activity = any specific behavior
- more specific terms:
- brutalisation / brutalization = the activity of treating someone savagely or viciously
- encroachment / usurpation / intrusion / violation / trespass = entry to another's property without right or permission
- civil wrong / tort = any wrongdoing for which an action for damages may be brought
- malversation = misconduct in public office
- misbehaviour / misbehavior / misdeed = improper or wicked or immoral behavior
- dereliction = willful negligence
- malfeasance = wrongful conduct by a public official
- misfeasance = doing a proper act in a wrongful or injurious manner
- malpractice = a wrongful act that the actor had no right to do
- malpractice = professional wrongdoing that results in injury or damage
- perversion = the action of perverting something
- injury = wrongdoing that violates another's rights and is unjustly inflicted
- injury = an act that causes someone or something to receive physical damage
- shabbiness / unfairness / injustice / iniquity = an unjust act
- infliction = an act causing pain or damage
- transgression / evildoing = the act of transgressing
- dishonesty / knavery = lack of honesty
- misrepresentation / falsification = a willful perversion of facts
- champerty = an unethical agreement between an attorney and client that the attorney would sue and pay the costs of the client's suit in return for a portion of the damages awarded
- criminal maintenance / maintenance = the unauthorized interference in a legal action by a person having no interest in it (as by helping one party with money or otherwise to continue the action) so as to obstruct justice or promote unnecessary litigation or unsettle the peace of the community
- infringement / violation = an act that disregards an agreement or a right
Alternative definition of the noun actus reus
- [legal] a physical act that attracts criminal sanctions.
Actus reus, sometimes called the external element or the objective element of a crime, is the Latin term for the "guilty act" which, when proved beyond a reasonable doubt in combination with the mens rea, "guilty mind", produces criminal liability in the common law-based criminal law jurisdictions of Canada, Australia, India, Pakistan, South Africa, New Zealand, England and Wales, Colombia, Ghana, Ireland and the United States of America. In the United States of America, some crimes also require proof of an attendant circumstance.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Actus reus
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Criminal Law in Botswana (2011)
by Daniel David Ntanda Nsereko
the actus reus and (2) the mens rea of the offence. The actus reus is the conduct that is forbidden or the external or material ...
by David Levinson
fl CRIMINAL DEFENSES In the Anglo American system of criminal justice, most crimes have at least two minimum elements: actus reus, the criminal act or omission, and mens rea, the required mental ...
A Resource for Readers and Writers by Gabriel Adeleye, Kofi Acquah-Dadzie
actus reus n. [L. actus act, deed (1); reus guilty, answerable for (2): a deed or an act answerable for or guilty.] A wrongful deed. Actus reus must be ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Actus reus
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about Actus reus
Actus reus Meaning
Video shows what actus reus means. A criminal act, considered as separate from the intentions or state of mind of the perpetrator.. Actus reus Meaning. How to ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Actus reus!
Quotes about Actus reus
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'actus reus"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Actus reus to find many related words and phrases!