On this page:
Who is Ad Reinhardt?
Ad Reinhardt: Adolph Frederick Reinhardt was an abstract painter active in New York beginning in the 1930s and continuing through the 1960s. He was a member of the American Abstract Artists and was a part of the movement centered on the Betty Parsons Gallery that became known as abstract expressionism. He was also a founding member of the Artist's Club. He wrote and lectured extensively on art and was a major influence on conceptual art, minimal art and monochrome painting. Most famous for his "black" or "ultimate" paintings, he claimed to be painting the "last paintings" that anyone can paint. He believed in a philosophy of art he called Art-as-Art and used his writing and satirical cartoons to advocate for abstract art and against what he described as "the disreputable practices of artists-as-artists".
- also known as Ad F. Reinhardt
- born on (102 years ago) in Buffalo
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Artist, visual artist
- died on (48 years ago) in Manhattan
- written works: "Symptoms of interference, conditions of possibility", "Art-as-art", "10 screenprints", "Ad Reinhardt", "Ad Reinhardt, 1945-1951", "Ad Reinhardt: black paintings, 1951-1967"
- award: - Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada (Fine Arts)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ad Reinhardt
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard Kostelanetz
Exhibition Catalogs: Ad Reinhardt: 25 Years of Abstract ...
by Steve Luck
Barnett NEWMAN, Ad Reinhardt, and Mark ROTI-IKO were more contemplative. Absurd, Theater of the Dramatic and literary critical term developed from the philosophy of Albert CAMUS to desciibe discordant human experience in an inhuman ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ad Reinhardt
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ad Reinhardt
Click on an item to view that photo:
- MOMA (Ad Reinhardt)
Photo credit: emilykneeter
- Ad Reinhardt, Abstract Painting, 1957, MOMA
Photo credit: Sharon Mollerus
- Untitled (Red and Gray) by Ad Reinhardt
Untitled (Red and Gray), 1950, oil on canvas by Ad Reinhardt
Photo credit: cliff1066™
- Untitled (Yellow and White) by Ad Reinhardt
Untitled (Yellow and White), 1950, oil on canvas by Ad Reinhardt
Photo credit: cliff1066™
- Ad Reinhardt: Number 107 (MoMA - New York)
Photo credit: scalleja
- Modern Art timeline by Ad Reinhardt
Photo credit: Charkrem
Quotes about Ad Reinhardt
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ad Reinhardt to see it in context!