On this page:
Who is Ada Yonath?
Ada Yonath: Ada E. Yonath is an Israeli crystallographer best known for her pioneering work on the structure of the ribosome. She is the current director of the Helen and Milton A. Kimmelman Center for Biomolecular Structure and Assembly of the Weizmann Institute of Science. In 2009, she received the Nobel Prize in Chemistry along with Venkatraman Ramakrishnan and Thomas A. Steitz for her studies on the structure and function of the ribosome, becoming the first Israeli woman to win the Nobel Prize out of ten Israeli Nobel laureates, the first woman from the Middle East to win a Nobel prize in the sciences, and the first woman in 45 years to win the Nobel Prize for Chemistry. However, she said herself that there was nothing special about a woman winning the Prize.
- also known as Йонат, Ада; 阿达·约纳特
- born on (76 years ago) in Jerusalem
- ethnicity: Jewish people
- nationality: Israel
- profession: Scientist, professor, crystallographer
- some of the awards:
- Massry Prize, with Harry Nolla
- Louisa Gross Horwitz Prize
- Wolf Prize in Chemistry (For ingenious structural discoveries of the ribosomal machinery of peptide-bond formation and the light-driven primary processes in photosynthesis.), with George Feher
- Paul Ehrlich and Ludwig Darmstaedter Prize (For their achievements respecting structure and function of Ribosomes.), with Harry F. Noller
- L'Oréal-UNESCO Awards for Women in Science, with Lihadh Al-Gazali, V. Narry Kim, Ana Belén Elgoyhen & Elizabeth Blackburn
- Albert Einstein World Award of Science (For her pioneering contributions to protein biosynthesis in the field of ribosomal crystallography and her introduction of innovative techniques in cryo-bio crystallography.)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ada Yonath
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Bernard Reich, David H. Goldberg
December: Ada Yonath of the Weizmann ...
Ada Yonath, Venkatraman (Venki) Ramakrishnan, and Thomas Steitz. The efforts of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ada Yonath
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Ada Yonath
she, her prize and the ribosome
Photo credit: gedankenstuecke
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Ada Yonath for some fun with words!