Adam and the Ants
On this page:
Adam and The Ants were a British rock band active during the late 1970s and early 1980s. The group, which lasted from 1977 to 1982, existed in two incarnations, both fronted by Adam Ant. The first, founded in May 1977, achieved considerable cult popularity during the transition from the punk rock era to the post-punk and new wave era and were noted for their high camp and overtly sexualised stage performances and songs. The final lineup of this first incarnation – Dave Barbarossa, Matthew Ashman and Leigh Gorman – left the band in January 1980 at the suggestion of then-de facto manager Malcolm McLaren, to form the instrumentalist personnel of the controversial Bow Wow Wow.
- also known as Adam & The Ants
- Jon Moss (Drums)
- Mark Ryan (Guitar) between and
- Lester Square (Guitar) between and
- Chris Hughes (Drums) between and (2 years)
- Andy Warren (Bass guitar) between and
- Leigh Gorman (Bass guitar) between and
- Paul Flanagan (Drums) between and
- Marco Pirroni (Guitar) between and (2 years)
- Kevin Mooney (Bass guitar) between and
- Gary Tibbs (Bass guitar) between and
- Adam Ant (Vocals) between and (4 years)
- Terry Lee Miall (Drums) between and (2 years)
- Dave Barbarossa (Drums) between and (2 years)
- John Beckett (Guitar) since
- Matthew Ashman (Guitar) between and
- Dave Barbarossa between and (2 years)
- genres: New Wave, Punk rock, Glam punk, New Romanticism, Gothic rock, Post-punk
- albums: "Young Parisians", "Zerox", "Antmusic", "Cartrouble", "Kings of the Wild Frontier", "Ant Rap", "Prince Charming", "Deutscher Girls", "The B Sides", "Dirk Wears White Sox", "The Very Best of Adam and the Ants", "Antbox", "Stand and Deliver: The Very Best of Adam and The Ants", "The Collection", "The Peel Sessions", "Stand and Deliver", "Dog Eat Dog", "Live at the BBC: Complete Radio One Recordings", "Dandy Highwaymen: The Best of Adam and The Ants", "1978-01-12: Marquee Club, London, UK"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Grammy Award for Best New Artist
- nominated to Brit Award for British Group
- nominated to Brit Award for MasterCard British Album of the Year - "Kings of the Wild Frontier"
- Brit Award for MasterCard British Album of the Year - "Kings of the Wild Frontier"
- official website: www.adam-ant.net
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adam and the Ants
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Colin Larkin
FURTHER READING: Adam And The Ants, Mike West. Adam And The Ants, Chris Welch. Adam And The Ants, Fred and Judy Vermorel. Adam Ant Tribal Rock Special, Martha Rodriguez (design). The Official Adam Ant Story, James Maw.
Lexicon Devil (2002)
The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and the Germs by Brendan Mullen, Don Bolles, Adam Parfrey
” DON GARSTANG Adam and the Ants made a big impression on him.
The UK to USA Dictionary (2012)
British English Vs. American English by Claudine Dervaes, John Hunter
A la mode Code Abraham Lincoln Stinking Ace of Spades AIDS Acid Trip Rip Acker Bilk Milk Adam and Eve Believe Adam and the Ants Plants-Pants Airs and Graces F aces-braces Alan Minter Splinter-Printer Almond Rocks Socks Alligator ...
by Lol Henderson, Lee Stacey
Popmanager and singerMcLaren found success during the late 1970s PUNKera managing bands such as the New York Dolls, theSEX PISTOLS, andlater Adam and the Ants. Best known as a businessman, ...
by Frank Hoffmann
Key actsincluded ABC, Adam and the Ants, Culture Club,Duran Duran, SpandauBallet, and the Thompson Twins. The movementhad lost its momentumby the mid1980s, however,due to competition from a widearray of postpunk stylesas well ...
by Gavin Ambrose, Paul Harris
The use of modern stretch fabrics saw jodhpurs adapted for fashion in the 1980s, and they were worn by New Romantic bands such as Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Adam and the Ants and Simple Minds. + + The placement of images side by ...
Survey, Definition & justify'd Lampoonery of divers contemporary Phenomena, from Top Gear unto Twitter by Dr Johnson
much improv'd by fEther 8L LAU DAN u M Adam and the Ants >> 11. vile Band of Dandies & Highway-men who thus deserve naught save the Scaffold 8: the GI BBET Aga »> n. iron—clad theologickal Device to prepare a pompous Person ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adam and the Ants
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adam and the Ants
Click on an item to view that photo:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Adam and the Ants for some fun with words!