The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun adjutant:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun adjutant
- Definition of the adjective adjutant
- Phrases with Adjutant
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjutant
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjutant
- Photos about Adjutant
- Video language resources about Adjutant
- Scrabble value of A1D2J8U1T1A1N1T1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adjutant
What does adjutant mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: adjutants
- an officer who acts as military assistant to a more senior officer
- domain: armed forces / armed services / military / military machine / war machine
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonyms of adjutant: aide / aide-de-camp
- more generic terms: military officer / officer = any person in the armed services who holds a position of authority or command
- more specific term: adjutant general = a general's adjutant
- large Indian stork with a military gait
Alternative definition of the noun adjutant
- [military] A lower-ranking officer who assists a higher-ranking officer with administrative affairs.
- synonym: marabou
- An assistant.
- [zoology] A bird in the genus Leptoptilos of the stork family Ciconiidae.
Definition of the adjective adjutant
What does adjutant mean as an attribute of a noun?
- The noun used as a modifier (e.g. adjutant officer).
- synonym: adj.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 2012 film The Third Half.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the film The Night Is Young.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the film A Woman Commands.
- Adjutant is a fictional character in the 1999 film Sherdil.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 1934 film Lieutenant Kijé.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 1968 film Captain Florian of the Mill.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 2007 film The Mark of Cain.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 1954 film Conflict of Wings.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 2003 film Gods and Generals.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 2004 Anglo-American drama film The Aryan Couple.
- Adjutant is a fictional character from the 1982 film Gandhi.
- Adjutant is a fictional film character.
Adjutant is a military rank or appointment. In some armies, including most English-speaking ones, it is an officer who assists a more senior officer, while in other armies, especially Francophone ones, it is an NCO, normally corresponding roughly to a staff sergeant or warrant officer.
Phrases with Adjutant
Phrases starting with the word Adjutant:
Phrases ending with the word Adjutant:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adjutant
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Mind-Murders (1981)
by Janwillem Van de Wetering
*The ranks in the Amsterdam Municipal Police are constable, constable first class , sergeant, adjutant, inspector, chief inspector, commissaris, chief constable. An adjutant is a noncommissioned officer. feathers at the extreme ends of its wings.
by Janwillem Van de Wetering
* Ranks of the Dutch Municipal Police are constable, constable first class, sergeant, adjutant, inspector, chief inspector, commissaris, chief constable. An adjutant is a noncommissioned officer.
The Blond Baboon (1978)
by Janwillem Van de Wetering
*The ranks of the Amsterdam municipal police are: constable, constable first class, sergeant, Adjutant, inspector, chief inspector, commissaris. An Adjutant is a non- commissioned officer.
Collier's New Encyclopedia (1921)
A Loose-leaf and Self-revising Reference Work ; with Illustrations and Ninety-six Maps
The adjutant is a native of the warmer parts of India, and is very useful in removing noxious animals and carrion, which it devours with great voracity. In its wild state it usually lives in companies, and chiefly frequents the mouths of rivers; it may ...
The Book of Knowledge (1911)
by Arthur Mee
adjutant is a queer pouch which hangs down from the base of its neck. It can be closed or expanded at will, and it is supposed to have something to do with the bird's breathing. There is not a more famous stork than the ibis, which in Egypt is ...
by William K. Emerson
CHAPTER FIFTEEN AFTER THE ARMY disbanded in 1783, there was no authorized adjutant general, although on 31...
by Caryn Hannan
Army in August 1862 as second lieutenant and served as first lieutenant, adjutant, captain, brigade inspector, acting assistant adjutant general of the cavalry division, and acting assistant adjutant general ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adjutant
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adjutant
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Michael Khor
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Adjutant
Click on an item to play that video:
- Adjutant Meaning
Video shows what adjutant means. A lower-ranking officer who assists a higher-ranking officer with administrative affairs.. An assistant.. A bird in the genus ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Adjutant, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
Meaning of the Word, Easy Vocabulary, Daily Vocabulary, Words Power, Words Meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Adjutant!
Scrabble value of A1D2J8U1T1A1N1T1
The value of this 8-letter word is 16 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adjutant to see it in context!