On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adlai stevenson
What does adlai stevenson mean as a name of something?
- United States politician and diplomat (1900-1968)
- Adlai Stevenson a.k.a. Adlai Stevenson II: Adlai Ewing Stevenson II was an American politician and diplomat, noted for his intellectual demeanor, eloquent public speaking, and promotion of liberal causes in the Democratic Party. He served as the 31st Governor of Illinois, and received the Democratic Party's nomination for president in 1952 even though he had not campaigned in the primaries. John Frederick Martin says party leaders selected him "because he was more moderate on civil rights than Estes Kefauver, yet nonetheless acceptable to labor and urban machines—so a coalition of southern, urban, and labor leaders fell in behind his candidacy in Chicago.
- read more about Adlai Stevenson II
- Adlai Stevenson a.k.a. Adlai Stevenson I: Adlai Ewing Stevenson I served as the 23rd Vice President of the United States. Previously, he served as a Congressman from Illinois in the late 1870s and early 1880s. After his subsequent appointment as Assistant Postmaster General of the United States during Grover Cleveland's first administration, he fired many Republican postal workers and replaced them with Southern Democrats. This earned him the enmity of the Republican-controlled Congress, but made him a favorite as Grover Cleveland's running mate in 1892, and he duly became 23rd Vice President of the United States.
- read more about Adlai Stevenson I
There are other people with in their name, like Adlai Stevenson III.
- "Adlai Stevenson" is a book by John Martin.
- "Adlai Stevenson" is a book by Porter McKeever.
- also known as "Adlai Stevenson: his life and legacy"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adlai Stevenson
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Duncan Watts
They won a sweeping victory against the Democratic opponent, Adlai Stevenson. On becoming the thirty-fourth president (1953–61) and ...
by William Harrison De Puy
Adlai Stevenson, New York. Illinois. ADMISSION OF STATES To the Union. The following table shows the order in which the different States became members of the Federal Union: 1. Delaware ratified the Constitution.............Dec. 7, 1787 2.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adlai Stevenson
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adlai Stevenson
If you need images about Adlai Stevenson for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Quotes about Adlai Stevenson
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adlai Stevenson to see it in context!