Adlai Stevenson I
On this page:
Who is Adlai Stevenson I?
Adlai Stevenson I: Adlai Ewing Stevenson I served as the 23rd Vice President of the United States. Previously, he served as a Congressman from Illinois in the late 1870s and early 1880s. After his subsequent appointment as Assistant Postmaster General of the United States during Grover Cleveland's first administration, he fired many Republican postal workers and replaced them with Southern Democrats. This earned him the enmity of the Republican-controlled Congress, but made him a favorite as Grover Cleveland's running mate in 1892, and he duly became 23rd Vice President of the United States.
- also known as Adlai Stevenson
- born on (180 years ago) in Christian County
- ethnicity: White people
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Politician
- Marriage with Letitia Stevenson
- parent of Lewis Stevenson
- died on (101 years ago) in Chicago
- written work: "Something of men I have known"
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adlai Stevenson I
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Adlai Stevenson I for some fun with words!