Adlai Stevenson II
On this page:
Who is Adlai Stevenson II?
Adlai Stevenson II: Adlai Ewing Stevenson II was an American politician and diplomat, noted for his intellectual demeanor, eloquent public speaking, and promotion of liberal causes in the Democratic Party. He served as the 31st Governor of Illinois, and received the Democratic Party's nomination for president in 1952 even though he had not campaigned in the primaries. John Frederick Martin says party leaders selected him "because he was more moderate on civil rights than Estes Kefauver, yet nonetheless acceptable to labor and urban machines—so a coalition of southern, urban, and labor leaders fell in behind his candidacy in Chicago.
- also known as Adlai Stevenson, Adlai Ewing Stevenson II, The Man from Libertyville, Adlai E. Stevenson
- born on (115 years ago) in Los Angeles, child of Lewis Stevenson and Helen Davis Stevenson
- nationality: United States of America
- religion: Unitarianism, Unitarian Universalism
- profession: Politician
- Marriage with Ellen Borden between and (20 years)
- parent of
- died on (50 years ago) in London of cardiovascular disease, myocardial infarction
- written works: "The Stevenson wit", "Papers of Adlai E. Stevenson", "Putting first things first", "Adlai's almanac", "An ethic for survival; Adlai Stevenson speaks on international affairs, 1936-1965", "U.S. charges of Soviet military build-up in Cuba", "The new America", "Wit and wisdom of Adlai Stevenson", "Adlai Stevenson's public years", "The stark reality of responsibility", "Letters from Choate", "Commencement address"
- nomination: - nominated to Primetime Emmy Award for Most Outstanding Personality
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Adlai Stevenson II
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Presidential Campaigns, Slogans, Issues, and Platforms: The Complete Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition [3 volumes] (2012)
The Complete Encyclopedia by Robert North Roberts, Scott John Hammond, Valerie A. Sulfaro
Eventually, the party leadership turned to Adlai Stevenson II, the popular governor of Illinois ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adlai Stevenson II
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Adlai Stevenson II for some fun with words!