Admiral appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Now sign it, admiral; depress a mad amasser pedlar I’m dating is won.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun admiral
- Phrases with Admiral
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Admiral
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Admiral
- Photos about Admiral
- Videos about Admiral
- Quotes about Admiral
- Scrabble value of A1D2M3I1R1A1L1
- Anagrams of ADMIRAL
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun admiral
What does admiral mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: admirals
- the supreme commander of a fleet; ranks above a vice admiral and below a fleet admiral
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of admiral: full admiral
- more generic term: flag officer = a senior naval officer above the rank of captain
- Captain Bligh / William Bligh / Bligh = British admiral; was captain of the H.M.S. Bounty in 1789 when part of the crew mutinied and set him afloat in an open boat
- Sir Francis Drake / Francis Drake / Drake = English explorer and admiral who was the first Englishman to circumnavigate the globe and who helped to defeat the Spanish Armada
- Viscount Nelson / Admiral Nelson / Horatio Nelson / Lord Nelson / Nelson = English admiral who defeated the French fleets of Napoleon but was mortally wounded at Trafalgar
- Isoroku Yamamoto / Yamamoto = Japanese admiral who planned the attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941
- any of several brightly colored butterflies
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- more generic terms: brush-footed butterfly / four-footed butterfly / nymphalid / nymphalid butterfly = medium to large butterflies found worldwide typically having brightly colored wings and much-reduced nonfunctional forelegs carried folded on the breast
Alternative definition of the noun admiral
- A naval officer of the highest rank; the commander of a country's naval forces.
- A naval officer of high rank, immediately below Admiral of the Fleet; the commander of a fleet or squadron.
- A flag officer in the United States Navy or Coast Guard of a grade superior to vice admiral and junior to admiral of the fleet (when that grade is used). An admiral is equal in grade or rank to a four star general.
- The ship which carries the admiral, the flagship; also, the most considerable ship of a fleet.
- [obsolete] A prince or Saracen leader under the Sultan.
- (zoological) Any of various nymphalid butterflies of Europe and America, especially a red admiral or white admiral.
"Admiral" is a 2008 biopic about Alexander Kolchak, a Vice-Admiral in the Imperial Russian Navy and leader of the anti-communist White Movement during the Russian Civil War. The film also depicts the love triangle between the Admiral, his wife, and the poet Anna Timiryova.
- also known as The Admiral
- country: Russia
- languages: Russian Language, French
- director: Andrei Kravchuk
- producers: Konstantin Ernst, Dzhanik Fayziev, Anatoly Maksimov & Dmitry Yurkov
- executive producer: Dmitri Nelidov
- written by Zoya Kudrya & Vladimir Valutskiy
- Sergey Bezrukov as General Kappel
- Konstantin Khabensky as Admiral Alexander Kolchak
- Anna Kovalchuk as Sofia Kolchak
- Vladimir Zaitsev as General
- Elizaveta Boyarskaya as Anna Timiriova
- Egor Beroev as Mikhail Smirnov
- Richard Bohringer as General Maurice Janin
- Viktor Verzhbitsky as Alexander Kerensky
- Nikolai Burlyayev as Nicholas II of Russia
- Fedor Bondarchuk as Sergei Bondarchuk
- Vladislav Vetrov as Sergey Timirev
- Oleg Fomin as Nikolay Podgurskiy
- Anatoliy Pashinin as Rostislav Ognivtsev
- Dmitriy Shcherbina as Vladimir Rybaltovskiy
- Aleksandr Klyukvin as Premer-ministr Pepelyaev
- cinematography by Igor Grinyakin & Alexei Rodionov
- edited by Tom Rolf
- music by Gleb Matveychuk, Ruslan Muratov
- costume design by Natalia Stycyuk
- genres: War film, Romance Film, Biographical film, Historical period drama, Historical fiction, Drama, Adventure Film
- subjects: Russian Revolution, World War I
- rating: 16+ (RU)
- released on (6 years ago)
- award: - Nika Award for Best Actor nomination for Konstantin Khabensky
- official website: admiralfilm.ru
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 2001 film Mad Love.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1990 film Demonstone.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the film The Flying Fleet.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1957 film The 27th Day.
- Admiral is a fictional character from Diebuster.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1966 film The Sea Pirate.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1929 film Glad Rag Doll.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 2006 film Rescue Dawn.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 2013 film The Sleepy Man.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 2014 film Run.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 2012 film Home Run Showdown.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1931 film Splinters in the Navy.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1983 film Yellowbeard.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1967 film Zärtliche Haie.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1940 film Spare a Copper.
- Admiral is a fictional character from the 1959 film Our Man in Havana.
- Admiral is a fictional film character.
- Admiral is a fictional film character.
- Admiral a.k.a. Admiral Alexander Kolchak is a fictional character from the 2008 drama film Admiral.
- read more about Admiral Alexander Kolchak
- Admiral a.k.a. David Robinson is the father of American Football player Corey Robinson.
- read more about David Robinson
- Admiral a.k.a. Gene Markey: Eugene Willford "Gene" Markey was an American author, producer, screenwriter, and highly decorated naval officer.
- read more about Gene Markey
There are other people with in their name, like Admiral Byrd, Admiral Tibet, Admiral Bailey, Admiral Nimitz, Donald Admiral, Admiral Collier, Admiral Freebee, Eleanor Admiral, Rear Admiral Swoose Snead, Peter Mews of Hinton Admiral and many others.
Admiral is a brand.
Admiral originally named Blairville is a small hamlet in Wise Creek Rural Municipality No. 77, Saskatchewan, Canada. The population at the 2006 Census was 30. The hamlet is located 65 km south of Swift Current.
- also known as Admiral, Saskatchewan; Admiral, Canada
- part of Canada, Rural Municipality of Wise Creek No. 77, Saskatchewan, Division No. 17, Saskatchewan
- Admiral is the rank, or part of the name of the ranks, of the highest naval officers. The rank usually refers to the position of full admiral and above vice admiral and below admiral of the fleet. It is usually abbreviated to "Adm" or "ADM". Where relevant, admiral has a NATO code of OF-9, and is a four-star rank.
- also known as นายพลเรือ, دریاسالار, 해군 대장, एडमिरल, Đô đốc, 大将, Адмиралы, 海軍上將
- Admiral is a senior rank of the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom, which equates to the NATO rank code OF-9, outranked only by the rank admiral of the fleet. Royal Navy officers holding the ranks of rear admiral, vice admiral and admiral of the fleet are sometimes considered generically to be admirals.
- also known as 上將
- Admiral: In the United States Navy, the United States Coast Guard and the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, admiral is a four-star flag officer rank, with the pay grade of O-10. Admiral ranks above vice admiral and below fleet admiral in the navy; the coast guard and the Public Health Service do not have an established grade above admiral. Admiral is equivalent to the rank of general in the other uniformed services. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Officer Corps has never had an officer hold the grade of admiral. However, 37 U.S.C. § 201 of the U.S. Code establishes the grade for the NOAA Corps in the case a position is created that merits the four-star grade.
- Admiral is a rank of the German Navy that first appeared in the 19th century and was expanded in the early 20th century as part of a build-up and mobilization in preparation for the First World War. The rank again saw a resurgence during the Second World War. There were many famous German Admirals during these formative years of German naval power, among them Otto von Diederichs, Gustav von Senden-Bibran, Georg Alexander von Müller, August von Heeringen, Alfred von Tirpitz and Karl Dönitz.
- Admiral is the highest active rank of the Royal Australian Navy and was created as a direct equivalent of the British Navy rank of admiral. It is a four-star rank. Since World War II, in general, the only time the rank is held is when the Chief of the Defence Force is a navy officer.
- Admiral: The rank of Admiral in Canada is typically held by only one officer whose position is Chief of the Defence Staff and the senior uniformed officer of the Canadian Forces. It is equivalent to the Army and Air Force rank of general.
- The Admiral was a named passenger train of the Pennsylvania Railroad and its successor Penn Central which operated between Chicago, Illinois and New York City. The Admiral began on April 27, 1941, when the Pennsylvania renamed the eastbound Advance General. The new train was eastbound-only until a year later on April 26, 1942, when the Pennsylvania added a westbound counterpart. The Admiral carried both sleepers and coaches plus a diner. After World War II the Pennsylvania put the Admiral on a 17-hour schedule between Chicago and New York along with the Broadway Limited, Trail Blazer, General and Pennsylvanian. At the time the Admiral carried transcontinental sleeping cars which it exchanged in Chicago with the California Zephyr and other California-bound trains. Mounting losses on its passenger operations led the Pennsylvania to reduce service on the Admiral. From April 29, 1956, onwards the Admiral operated as a local, making more intermediate stops with a longer overall running time. The westbound train ended altogether in 1958.
- Admiral is a naval rank in Sweden. According to current practice only royalties and the Supreme Commander of the Swedish Armed Forces, if he were to come from the Swedish Navy, has the rank of full, four star, Admiral in Sweden.
- Admiral is a top military rank in the Ukrainian Navy. It is equivalent to the Colonel General rank in the Ground Forces of Ukraine.
- Admiral is theoretically the highest possible military rank in the Royal Netherlands Navy, which is comparable to the five-star rank of Fleet Admiral in other navies like the US Navy. The rank of Admiral is still described in the military protocols of the Dutch navy, but at present it is not used as an active rank.
- Admiral: The rank of Admiral for the Federation's Star Fleet service.
- also known as Federation Star Fleet Admiral
Phrases with Admiral
Phrases starting with the word Admiral:
- admiral byrd
- admiral dewey
- admiral nelson
- admiral nimitz
- Admiral's Barge
- Admiral's Eighth
- Admiral of the Fleet
Phrases ending with the word Admiral:
- red admiral
- war admiral
- full admiral
- rear admiral
- vice admiral
- fleet admiral
- white admiral
- Commodore admiral
- five-star admiral
- Lorquin's Admiral
- Red-Spotted Admiral
- Weidemeyer's Admiral
Other phrase containing the word Admiral:
View more phrases with the word Admiral in thesaurus!
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Admiral
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Walsh
The Young Admiral is a romantic tragi-comedy of the de- scription.of the Grateful Servant, though with less incongruity of plot, and almost entirely free from moral blemish.
Whereas a general is a military leader of soldiers who operate mainly on land, an admiral is a military leader whose troops operate mainly on the sea. Similarly, a soldier is based mainly on land, while a sailor is based mainly on the sea. 5.
The British Butterfly Monitoring Scheme by E. Pollard, T.J. Yates
The white admiral is a very strong flier and capture-mark-recapture studies to obtain estimates of population size would ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
A red admiral on brambles. This is a common butterfly in North America, the adult often feeding on the lilac or butterfly bush fbuddieiaj or taking sap from trees. THE VANESSAS INCLUDE SOME of the ITlost colorful butterfly species in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Admiral
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Admiral
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Aah-Yeah
Photo credit: brookpeterson
From a 1948 National Geographic
Photo credit: dok1
Photo credit: Pedliano
September 1948 National Geographic
Photo credit: dok1
1950 Admiral Television & Phonograph
Photo credit: twm1340
Photo credit: p e e p e r
Admiral Tobacco. Blatantly obvious that this is a former Clark.
Photo credit: wachovia_138
1959 Admiral Transistor Radio
Photo credit: twm1340
exposure info: 100mm 1/640 at f13
Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
Photo credit: Kain Kalju
Photo credit: Steve Muntau
1950 Admiral Television
Photo credit: twm1340
Photo credit: Seabamirum
Photo credit: Bitterjug
Photo credit: Toms karameller
- Admiral Yularen
Photo credit: Brickset
- Admiral Beatty
View On Black
Photo credit: Number Six (bill lapp)
- Ahoi Herr Admiral
Photo credit: HaPe_Gera
Photo credit: Gustavius
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Admiral
Click on an item to play that video:
- Naval Terminology Origins - ADMIRAL
Naval Terminology Origins ADMIRAL: An Admiral is the senior ranking flag officer in the U.S. Navy, but his title comes from the name given the senior ranking ...
- Admiral Meaning
Video shows what admiral means. A naval officer of the highest rank; the commander of a country's naval forces.. A naval officer of high rank, immediately below ...
- ADMIRAL NEW BRAND SLANG DROP
- Admiral's barge Meaning
Video shows what admiral's barge means. A motorboat used by flag officers for harbour transport.. Admiral's barge Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Admiral's eighth Meaning
Video shows what Admiral's eighth means. The Admiral's share of any booty or prize captured by any ship under his command. Admiral's eighth Meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of Admiral!
Quotes about Admiral
It is a curious fact that when we get sick we want an uncommon doctor... When we get into a war, we dreadfully want an uncommon admiral and an uncommon general. Only when we get into politics are we content with the common man. (Herbert Clark Hoover)
more quotes about admiral...
Scrabble value of A1D2M3I1R1A1L1
The value of this 7-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADMIRAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Admiral!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Admiral to see it in context!