On this page:
- Definition of the noun adonis
- Phrases with Adonis
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adonis
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adonis
- Photos about Adonis
- Videos about Adonis
- Quotes about Adonis
- Scrabble value of A1D2O1N1I1S1
- Anagrams of ADONIS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun adonis
What does adonis mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- adonis: adonises
- Adonis: Adonises
- any handsome young man
- annual or perennial herbs
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- synonym of Adonis: genus Adonis
- more generic term: magnoliid dicot genus = genus of dicotyledonous flowering plants regarded as among the most primitive of extant angiosperms
- member of: buttercup family / crowfoot family / family Ranunculaceae / Ranunculaceae = a family of Ranunculaceae
- member: pheasant's-eye / Adonis annua = Eurasian herb cultivated for its deep red flowers with dark centers
- (Greek mythology) a handsome youth loved by both Aphrodite and Persephone
Alternative definition of the noun adonis
- A beautiful man.
- Adonis, in Greek mythology, is the god of beauty and desire, and is a central figure in various mystery religions. His religion belonged to women: the dying of Adonis was fully developed in the circle of young girls around the poet Sappho from the island of Lesbos, about 600 BC, as revealed in a fragment of Sappho's surviving poetry.
- Adonis is a fictional character, opera character, film character, theater character.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 1989 animated series Dragon Warrior: Legend of the Hero Abel.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 1987 film The Photograph.
- Adonis is a fictional character form the 2008 film SupahPapalicious.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 1949 film Keep an Eye on Amelia.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 2005 film Hari Ng Sablay.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 1992 film Ikaw Pa Lang ang Minahal.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 2012 tv series Kapitan Awesome.
- Adonis is a fictional character from In Love with Alma Cogan.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 2011 film Another Movie Of Love.
- Adonis is a fictional character from the 1967 film The Illiac Passion.
- Adonis is a fictional character from 2011 film Gingerdead Man 3: Saturday Night Cleaver.
"Adonis" is a short film, directed by David Dibble.
- "Adonis" is a musical single of Boys Noize.
- released in (5 years ago)
- "Adonis" is a musical album of Anyone's Daughter.
- released in (36 years ago)
- Adonis a.k.a. Adonis Shropshire or Adonis for short, is an American songwriter and record producer.
- read more about Adonis Shropshire
- Adonis is an American acid house pioneer who made his name with the classic 1986 tracks 'No Way Back' and 'We're Rockin Down The House'.
- also known as Adonis Smith, Michael A. Smith, Jack Frost, Michael Adonis Smith
- born in (52 years ago)
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Musician, record producer, disc jockey, composer, songwriter, business magnate
- member of musical groups:
- genre: Acid house
- albums: "Rocking Down the House: Basement Jaxx Remixes", "No Way Back", "We're Rocking Down the House", "Clap Me"
- official website: www.housesoundofchicago.com
- Adonis is a rapper.
- also known as Adonis A.k.A Da Certified Specialist
- profession: Rapper
Adonis is a record label.
Adonis a.k.a. Adonis, West Virginia: Adonis is an unincorporated community in Tyler County, West Virginia, United States. Its post office is closed.
- read more about Adonis, West Virginia
- ADONIS is a Business Process Analysis tool supporting business process management based on BPMS framework created at the University of Vienna. It is developed by the BOC Information Technologies Consulting GmbH. It allows business process modeling using BPMS notation and BPMN 2.0, process analysis, simulation, evaluation as well as publishing and process automation with BPMN 2.0 XML and XPDL.
- developer: BOC Information Technologies Consulting AG
- The Adonis was a wooden brigantine that was built at Jervis Bay, New South Wales, in 1874. She was wrecked on 22 December 1889, approximately 15 miles south of Crowdy Head, when she sprang a leak whilst carrying coal between Wollongong and the Richmond River.
- Adonis is a musical artist, featured artist.
Phrases with Adonis
Phrases starting with the word Adonis:
Phrases ending with the word Adonis:
- Apion Adonis
- Colus adonis
- genus adonis
- Baetis adonis
- Crepis Adonis
- Morpho Adonis
- Mycena Adonis
- Naevia Adonis
- Zethus Adonis
- Agrilus Adonis
- Anigrus Adonis
- Astenus Adonis
- Brettus adonis
- Carabus Adonis
- Compsus Adonis
- Elbella Adonis
- Mahatha Adonis
View more phrases with the word Adonis in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adonis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Pages of Day and Night (2000)
by Adūnīs, Samuel John Hazo
Repeatedly mentioned as a possible Nobel laureate, Adonis is a renowned critic and writer of prose as well as a leading...
ECPPM 2014 by Ardeshir Mahdavi, Bob Martens, Raimar Scherer
ADONIS is a key part of the BOC Management Office. This is a comprehensive tool suite that supports the introduction and implementation of standardised management approaches. ADONIS is the flagship product and it supports the core ...
by Pierre Brunel
For Keats, Adonis is the very incarnation of Beauty, a wonderful figure that Venus brings to life. There is an admirable contrast between the poem«s two images, the first imbued with calm voluptuousness, the second sparkling with light.
The Orphic Hymns (2013)
by Apostolos N. Athanassakis, Benjamin M. Wolkow
To Adonis Adonis is an old Near Eastern divinity ofvegetation and ...
Atheist Persona (2014)
Causes and Consequences by John J. Pasquini
Adonis is a mythological figure who did not exist in reality; Jesus of Nazareth did! Attis There are so many accounts of the myth of Attis that it is almost impossible to know this god with any sense of certainty. The most common myth goes as ...
by B.C. Ravenscroft
Adonis is the result of a cross between a tuberous variety and John Heal ; this also produces male flowers only, and is increased by means of cuttings. Winter Gem was obtained by crossing B. socotrana with a crimson-flowered tuberous ...
Comprising the History, Institutions, and Antiquities of the Christian Church, from the Time of the Apostles to the Age of Charlemagne by William Smith
Adonis, Usuardi). (2) Martyr with Aphrodisius, Carilippus, and Agapius; commemorated April 28 (Mart. Adonis, Usuardi). (3) The historian, bishop, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adonis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Adonis
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: thekirbster
Photo credit: macronix
Photo credit: Joseph Surface
Point Aldis, Great Ocean Road Victoria Australia
Photo credit: Gordon Chirgwin
Photo credit: Thilo Hilberer
Photo credit: henribergius
Photo credit: abulhussain
Photo credit: yuko_ppp2501
Photo credit: ukg.photographer
Photo credit: Rob de Vries,
- Adonis cyllenea
Adonis cyllenea (Adonis cyllenea Boiss., Heldr. & Orph. 1856)
Photo credit: Amphithoe
- Adonis microcarpa
Small pheasant's eye
Photo credit: Aries Tottle
- Adonis ... dreaming of Aphrodite.
Photo credit: ✿ nicolas_gent ✿
- Adonis ramosa
Photo credit: houroumono
- Adonis Kutsubas
Photo credit: Protonotarios
Bello, lindo, rico, dulce, delicado...
Photo credit: Paul_Neoclasic
- Adonis Ladybird
Photo credit: Mick E. Talbot
- Hotel Adonis Rhodes, Greece
Photo credit: Tanel Teemusk
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Adonis
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Adonis!
Quotes about Adonis
Scrabble value of A1D2O1N1I1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the second edition of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ADONIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Adonis!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Adonis to see it in context!