Adrenal Cortical Steroid
On this page:
Definition of the noun adrenal cortical steroid
What does adrenal cortical steroid mean as a name of something?
- a steroid hormone produced by the adrenal cortex or synthesized; administered as drugs they reduce swelling and decrease the body's immune response
- example: adrenal cortical steroids are used to treat many different conditions
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonyms of adrenal cortical steroid: corticoid / corticosteroid
- more generic terms: sex hormone / steroid / steroid hormone = any hormone affecting the development and growth of sex organs
- more specific words:
- mineralocorticoid = hormone that is one of the steroids of the adrenal cortex that influences the metabolism of sodium and potassium
- glucocorticoid = a steroid hormone that is produced by the adrenal cortex of animals
- hydrocortisone / cortisol = an adrenal-cortex hormone that is active in carbohydrate and protein metabolism
- cortisone = a corticosteroid hormone normally produced by the adrenal cortex
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adrenal Cortical Steroid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Pei-Show Juo
Adrenal Cortical Steroid Steroids produced by the adrenal cortex. Adrenal Gland Two endocrine glands located near the kidney, each consisting of two parts: a medulla that secretes epinephrine and norepinephrine and a cortex that secretes ...
by Rosalinda T. Lagua, Virginia S. Claudio
17-Hydroxycorticosterone, the major adrenal cortical steroid influencing carbohydrate metabolism. It increases the release of glucose from the liver, stimulates gluconeogenesis from amino acids, and decreases the peripheral utilization of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adrenal Cortical Steroid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Adrenal Cortical Steroid to find many related words and phrases!