On this page:
Who is Adrian Boult?
Adrian Boult: Sir Adrian Cedric Boult, CH was an English conductor. Brought up in a prosperous mercantile family, he followed musical studies in England and at Leipzig, Germany, with early conducting work in London for the Royal Opera House and Sergei Diaghilev's ballet company. His first prominent post was conductor of the City of Birmingham Orchestra in 1924. When the British Broadcasting Corporation appointed him director of music in 1930, he established the BBC Symphony Orchestra and became its chief conductor. The orchestra set standards of excellence that were rivalled in Britain only by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, founded two years later.
- also known as Sir Adrien Boult, Adrien Boult
- born on (126 years ago) in Chester
- nationality: England
- profession: Conductor
- died on (32 years ago) in London
- genre: Classical music
- albums: "A Portrait of Sir Adrian Boult", "Holst: The Planets / Elgar: 'Enigma' Variations", "Holst: The Planets / Vaughan Williams: Serenade to Music", "Sir Adrian Boult Conducts Marches", "A Sea Symphony", "BBC Music, Volume 7, Number 11: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis / Belshazzar's Feast", "The Planets", "Symphonies 1 & 2", "British Composers: Holst: The Planets / The Perfect Fool (Ballet Music) / Egdon Heath", "Messiah, Arias and Choruses", "The Symphony: Beethoven No. 6 / Brahms No. 2", "Piano Concerto no. 2 / Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini / Variations on a Nursery Theme", "Orchestral Works", "The Complete Symphonies / Orchestral Works", "Bach-Handel Recital", "Symphony no. 1 in A-flat / Serenade for Strings / Chanson de nuit / Chanson de matin", "I Confess", "Enigma Variations / Pomp & Circumstance Marches 1-5", "Enigma Variations", "On Wenlock Edge / Job: A Masque for Dancing", "Cello Concerto / Cello Sonata / Prelude", "Overtures and Preludes", "A London Symphony / Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis", "The Nine Symphonies", "Serenade to Music / The Lark Ascending / Fantasia on Greensleeves / English Folk Song Suite / In the Fen Country / Norfolk Rhapsody no. 1", "Symphony no. 4 / Symphony no. 6", "Artur Schnabel Plays Bach & Brahms", "A Pastoral Symphony / Symphony no. 5", "Schubert: Symphony no. 8 / Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé Suite no. 2 / Sibelius: Symphony no. 7", "Greensleeves Fantasia / The Lark Ascending / Serenade to Music / Tallis Fantasia", "Job: A Masque for Dancing", "Four Symphonies", "Concert Favorites", "The Lark Ascending / Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis", "A London Symphony", "Flos Campi / An Oxford Elegy / Magnificat / Fantasia on the Old 104th", "Piano Concertos nos. 1 & 3", "Brahms: Piano Concerto no. 2 / Schumann: Kinderszenen", "Violin Concerto / Romances nos. 1 & 2", "Rachmaninov: Symphony no. 3 / Vaughan Williams: Symphony no. 8"
- written works: "Boult on music", "A handbook on the technique of conducting"
- nomination: - nominated to Brit Award for Best Orchestral Album
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Adrian Boult
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
ca. 1400-1958 by Charles Edward McGuire, Steven E. Plank
Yet they do not overshadow the remarkable role of locals Thomas Tallis, Henry Purcell, and Sir Edward Elgar among the composers, Sir Adrian Boult and Sir John Barbirolli among the conductors, and John Dowland and Robert Lindley ...
by Seán Street
1 March : Adrian Boult conducts the Orchestre Nationale in xxii • CHRONOLOGY.
by Dean A. Stahl, Karen Landen
SIRA Scientific Instrument Research Association Sir Adrian Sir Adrian Boult Sir ...
by Marty McGee
Sketch Artist; Adrian Boult, Maurice Jarre (uncredited) Conductors; Marie Budberg Researcher; Anne V. Coates Editorial Consultant ¡989 Reconstruction and Restora- tion; Barbara Cole Continuity; Archie Dansie Chief Electrician; Kenneth ...
Parties, Groups and Movements of the 20th Century by Peter Barberis, John McHugh, Mike Tyldesley
FORWARD BRITAIN MOVEMENT • 396 Donald Maitland and Sir Crispin Tickell: and figures from the the arts world - Sir Adrian Boult, Ralph Vaughan Williams and Peter Ustinov among them. In 1962 the Wyndham Place Trust was established ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adrian Boult
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Adrian Boult to find many related words and phrases!