Adrian Matejka (poet)
On this page:
Who is Adrian Matejka?
Adrian Matejka is an African-American poet. He graduated from Southern Illinois University Carbondale with an MFA in Creative Writing. He has received fellowships from the Cave Canem Workshop, the Guggenheim Foundation, and the Lannan Foundation. His most recent book of poetry, The Big Smoke, was published by Penguin in 2013 and is about Jack Johnson. It was a finalist for the 2013 National Book Award and the 2014 Pulitzer Prize and won an Anisfield-Wolf Book Award. His work has appeared in literary journals and magazines including American Poetry Review, Callaloo, Crab Orchard Review, Gulf Coast, Indiana Review, Poetry, Ploughshares, Prairie Schooner, and in anthologies including From the Fishouse and The Best American Poetry 2010. He teaches literature and creative writing at Indiana University. He lives in Bloomington, Indiana with his wife, poet Stacey Lynn Brown, and their daughter.
- born on (43 years ago) in Nuremberg
- ethnicity: African American
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Poet
- written works: "Mixology", "The Big Smoke"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- National Poetry Series - "Mixology"
- nominated to NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work - Poetry - "Mixology" (Penguin Group)
- nominated to National Book Award for Poetry - "The Big Smoke"
- nominated to Pulitzer Prize for Poetry - "The Big Smoke"
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Creative Arts, US & Canada ( Poetry)
- official website: adrianmatejka.com/reads/#.Uj4lYmS9_c4
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Adrian Matejka (poet)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Adrian Matejka for some fun with words!