On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aegean island
What does aegean island mean as a name of something?
- an island in the Aegean Sea
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- more generic word: island = a land mass (smaller than a continent) that is surrounded by water
- Aegina / Aigina = an island in the Aegean Sea in the Saronic Gulf
- Chios / Khios = an island in the Aegean Sea off the west coast of Turkey
- Kikladhes / Cyclades = a group of over 200 islands in the southern Aegean
- Dhodhekanisos / Dodecanese = a group of islands in the southeast Aegean Sea
- Mytilene / Lesbos / Lesvos = an island of eastern Greece in the eastern Aegean Sea
- Rhodes / Rodhos = a Greek island in the southeast Aegean Sea 10 miles off the Turkish coast; the largest of the Dodecanese; it was colonized before 1000 BC by Dorians from Argos
- part of: Aegean / Aegean Sea = an arm of the Mediterranean between Greece and Turkey
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aegean island
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of World Trade (2015)
From Ancient Times to the Present by Cynthia Clark Northrup, Jerry H. Bentley, Alfred E. Eckes, Jr, Patrick Manning, Kenneth Pomeranz, Steven Topik
The Aegean island of Melos produced obsidian. Although Crete contained some metals such as copper, trade with ore-rich Asia Minor obtained copper for use in the Minoan metalwork shops. The Minoans also traded for, though indirectly, ...
by Merrill F. Unger
The fifty-mile-square Aegean island has magnificent scenery and the white crags of the shoreline and the beauty of the open ocean furnish an example of a geographical background that aids the biblical interpreter to expound the events and ...
by John H. Rosser
in the eastern Aegean Sea, the largest Aegean island after Crete and Euboea. Its strategic importance derived from its ...
A-D by Geoffrey W. Bromiley
In 1872 on the Aegean island of Delos the French school began a dig that has continued intermittently ...
The Atlantis Encyclopedia (2005)
by Frank Joseph
the Aegean island of Delos, the Greek Delphi, Rome, Jerusalem, in the Azores (Homer's Ogygia, the “Navel of the Sea”), the Incas' Cuzco (Peru), Easter Island in the Eastern Pacific, and so on—wherever the Atlantean survivors resettled.
by Nigel Wilson
Aegean island "Out in the dark blue sea lies a land called Crete, rich and lovely land, washed by the waves on every side, densely peopled and boasting ninety cities. Each of the several races of the isle has its own language. First there are ...
by Hugh Johnson
Aegean island: coop dessert wines, deliciously fortified Muscat of Alexandria. New, dry Muscats by Kyathos-Honas winery. Macedonia Quality wine region in the north, for XYNOMAVRO. Malagousia 203 ROMANIA /GREECE.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aegean island
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aegean island
If you need images about Aegean island for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aegean island to see it in context!