On this page:
Definition of the noun aegean civilization
What does aegean civilization mean as a name of something?
- the prehistoric civilization on the islands in the Aegean sea and the surrounding countries
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- alternative spelling: Aegean civilisation
- synonym of Aegean civilization: Aegean culture
- more generic words: civilisation / civilization / culture = a particular society at a particular time and place
- more specific terms: Cycladic civilisation / Cycladic civilization / Cycladic culture / Cyclades = the Bronze Age civilization on the Cyclades islands in the southern Aegean Sea that flourished 3000-1100 BC
Aegean civilization a.k.a. Aegean civilizations: Aegean civilization is a general term for the Bronze Age civilizations of Greece around the Aegean Sea. There are three distinct but communicating and interacting geographic regions covered by this term: Crete, the Cyclades and the Greek mainland. Crete is associated with the Minoan civilization from the Early Bronze Age. The Cyclades converge with the mainland during the Early Helladic period and with Crete in the Middle Minoan period. From ca. 1450 BC, the Greek Mycenaean civilization spreads to Crete.
- read more about Aegean civilizations
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aegean civilization
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ari Ben-Menahem
The Aegean civilization (Hellenic and pre-Hellenic); (2) the Roman Empire; (3) Christianity; (4) the break-up of the Roman Empire by the Teutonic invasions.
by Anne Kerr, Edmund Wright
Aegean civilization See MYCENAEAN CIVILIZATION. Aegospotami, Battle of The ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1911)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, Literature and General Information by Hugh Chrisholm
Crete, so much so that, for the present,we must regard it as the fountain-head of ' Aegean civilization...
The Encyclopedia Americana (1919)
A Library of Universal Knowledge
Schliemann, Evans and Dorpfeld, among others, have revealed a flourishing Aegean civilization coeval with the civilization of Egypt in the "Pyramid Age" of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aegean civilization
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aegean civilization to see it in context!