On this page:
- Definition of the noun aegis
- Phrases with Aegis
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aegis
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aegis
- Photos about Aegis
- Video language resources about Aegis
- Scrabble value of A1E1G2I1S1
- Anagrams of AEGIS
- Share this page
Definition of the noun aegis
What does aegis mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aegises
- kindly endorsement and guidance
- armor plate that protects the chest; the front part of a cuirass
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- alternative spelling: egis
- synonym of aegis: breastplate
- more generic terms: armor plate / armor plating / armour plate / plate armor / plate armour = specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
- more specific word: plastron = a metal breastplate that was worn under a coat of mail
- part of: body armor / body armour / cataphract / coat of mail / suit of armor / suit of armour = armor that protects the wearer's whole body
Aegis is a band in the Philippines. Their successful singles include "Luhà", "Halík", and "Basáng-basâ sa Ulán".
- genres: Pop rock, Alternative rock, Music of the Philippines, Pinoy rock
- album: "Bakit"
Aegis a.k.a. Aegis Limited, Inc.
- read more about Aegis Limited
- Aegis is a fictional African American superhero in the Marvel Comics universe. He was created in 1999, first appearing in New Warriors vol. 2, #0. He then joined the second version of the New Warriors.
- Aegis is a fictional character, a comic book cosmic entity published by Marvel Comics and appearing as an enemy of Galactus. Created by writer Keith Giffen and artist Andrea DiVito, the character first appeared in Annihilation: Silver Surfer #3. She is a member of the Proemial Gods and an ally of fellow member, Tenebrous.
- also known as Lady of All Sorrows
- created by Keith Giffen
- "Aegis" a.k.a. "Aégis" is the third studio album by Norwegian gothic metal band Theatre of Tragedy, and the last album of their musical period defined by gothic stylings and Early Modern English lyrics.
- read more about Aégis
- "Aegis" is a musical album of Trevor Jones, soundtrack.
- also known as Aegis Soundtrack
- released in (10 years ago)
- "Aegis" is a musical album of Skrol.
- released in (16 years ago)
- "Aegis" is a composition.
"Aegis" is a 2005 action drama thriller Japanese film written by Yasuo Hasegawa and Kenzaburô Iida and directed by Junji Sakamoto.
- country: Japan
- language: Japanese Language
- producers: Shohei Kotaki, Satoshi Kono, Kanjiro Sakura
- executive producer: Kazumi Kawashiro
- art direction by Mitsuo Harada
- written by Yasuo Hasegawa & Kenzaburô Iida
- cinematography by Norimichi Kasamatsu
- edited by William M. Anderson
- genres: Action Film, Thriller, Drama
- released on (9 years ago)
- Japan Academy Prize for Picture of the Year nomination for Junji Sakamoto
- Japan Academy Prize for Director of the Year nomination for Junji Sakamoto
- Japan Academy Prize for Screenplay of the Year nomination for Yasuo Hasegawa & Kenzaburô Iida
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role nomination for Hiroyuki Sanada
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for Kiichi Nakai
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction nomination for Mitsuo Harada
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction nomination for Kenji Ishida
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Music nomination for Trevor Jones & Ryo Katsuji
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Film Editing nomination for William M. Anderson
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording nomination for Fumio Hashimoto
- Japan Academy Prize for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography nomination for Norimichi Kasamatsu
- Japan Academy Award for Newcomer of the Year, received by Ryo Katsuji
- The aegis or aigis, as stated in the Iliad, is carried by Athena and Zeus, but its nature is uncertain. It had been interpreted as an animal-skin or a shield, sometimes bearing the head of a Gorgon. There may be a connection with a deity named Aex or Aix, a daughter of Helios and a nurse of Zeus or alternatively a mistress of Zeus. The aegis of Athena is referred to in several places in the Iliad. It produced a sound as from a myriad roaring dragons and was borne by Athena in battle "... and among them went bright-eyed Athene, holding the precious aegis which is ageless and immortal: a hundred tassels of pure gold hang fluttering from it, tight-woven each of them, and each the worth of a hundred oxen.
- AEGIS is Windows Server software used along with Microsoft SQL Server by Gravity Corporation to run the official Ragnarok Online game servers. It was originally developed for exclusive use within Gravity and Gravity subsidiaries, but has been leaked within its lifetime, purportedly by several teams who compromised official computers which contained AEGIS binaries.
- Aegis is the oldest high school newspaper in California. The newspaper puts out occasional print issues, but mostly publishes content on its website.
- Aegis is a software change management system first released in 1991. It supports a strongly test-driven development workflow on top of any number of different underlying revision control systems, such as RCS or SCCS. It is released under the GNU GPL.
- AEGIS is a research network of European centres in African studies, which aims to create synergies between experts and institutions. With primary emphasis on Social Sciences and Humanities, AEGIS' main goal is to improve understanding about contemporary African societies.
- AEGIS, or the All-Wavelength Extended Groth Strip International Survey, is a multi-wavelength astronomical survey of a patch of the sky with low extinction and zodiacal scattering. The purpose of the survey is to study the physical processes and evolution of galaxies at redshift z ~ 1. As of February 2011 more than 80 research papers have been published based on data from the survey.
- AEGIS a.k.a. AEGIS SecureConnect is a network authentication system used in IEEE 802.1X networks. It was developed by Meetinghouse Data Communications, Inc.. The AEGIS Protocol is an 802.1X “Supplicant”, and is commonly installed along with a Network Interface Card’s drivers.
- read more about AEGIS SecureConnect
Phrases with Aegis
Phrases starting with the word Aegis:
Phrases ending with the word Aegis:
- Appias Aegis
- Svastra aegis
- Lucapina aegis
- Megalopta Aegis
- Phrissura Aegis
- Tasmanaria Aegis
- Crassispira Aegis
- Nosferattus Aegis
- Species Appias Aegis
- species Svastra aegis
- species Lucapina aegis
- species Megalopta aegis
- Species Phrissura Aegis
- Species Tasmanaria Aegis
- Species Crassispira Aegis
- Species Nosferattus Aegis
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aegis
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
How to Develop Fun and Marketable 3D Games by Adam Watkins
Aegis is the eye candy. Although technically, all ofthis could be done in the EntryWay scene, having only Aegis in this scene will allow for some nicer lighting , and a very quick startup to the game (very few assets to load). Step 7: Create a floor ...
Risk, Law, and Ethics by Kateri Carmola
As its name implies – Aegis refers to the shield of the Greek god Zeus – the company offers protection and security, as well as control and coordination. In 2004, the Pentagon awarded Aegis the largest contract ever given to a PMSC involved ...
Toward a Cognitive Semantics (2000)
by Leonard Talmy
One reason for choosing to adopt fictivity theory over metaphor theory as an umbrella aegis is that it is constructed to encompass cognitive systems in general rather than just to apply to language. Consider, for example, a subject viewing a ...
The Cult TV Book (2010)
by Stacey Abbott
The most obvious aspect that unites the various series that come under cult TV's aegis is that they tend to use a lot of music and they tend to use it in a ...
The aegis is the conventional buckler of Pallas. Probably the conservatism of religious art retained for the warrior goddess the goatskin buckler which was one of the earliest forms of human armor. 62 The ὀλολυγή (says Dr. Macan) was ...
by Santosh Kumar
Insofar as c- programming is concerned, its gain in bringing fractional programming under its aegis is that through this is revealed the full force of its explaining power and the extent ...
A Wiley Tech Brief by Jan Sandred
Aegis is a transaction-based software configuration management ...
by Jerome Christensen
The elemental fact of visibility repressed in the herald's account and revealed by Wordsworth's aegis is that line can only appear insofar as it is already tinctured. At this stage we might conclude that Coleridge learned to revise Descriptive ...
Aegis Semiconductor is a privately held company that builds cost-effective solutions for intelligent optical networks. Aegis is the first company to deliver low- cost wavelength-monitoring components and modules that are easily manufactured ...
The War Power (2009)
Original and Contemporary by Louis Fisher
Aegis means shield or protection. Acheson used the word to suggest that the United States was acting under the legal banner of the United Nations, which was not the case. The UN was meant to be a convenient cover for an operation ...
The Conservator (1896)
The international aegis is a mot. The destiny of the race is indissolubl linked with the entrées. We have arrived at the optimism of the gullet. We may be confronted with perilous issues, but we talk wine and oil. Famine and sedition may stalk in ...
National and Local Experiences in South Korea, Turkey, Mexico and Australia by S. Castles, D. Ozkul, M. Cubas
At the heart of the restructuring plan of large multinational corporations under the neoliberal aegis is the displacement of parts of the productive and commercial processes, and of services, towards peripheral countries and regions in function ...
by Richard J. Samuels
The AEGIS weapon system's wide altitude range allows it to target submarines and aircraft flying at speeds from subsonic to supersonic. The system also has all -weather capabilities and can function in chaff and jamming conditions.
by Binh Nguyen
Aegis integrates standard software tools such as gcc and cvs into an easy to use, extensible software management system. Aegis simplifies the problems associated with multiple developers and development trees using a transaction− based ...
Aegis has been developed to be the principal fleet antiaircraft defense system. It first went to sea in Ti-conderoga-class missile cruisers and is also planned for projected missile destroyers. Aegis is intended to provide rapid-reaction, long- ...
by Robert Allen
aegis under the aegis of somebody with the ...
Bell's New Pantheon; Or, Historical Dictionary of the Gods, Demi-gods, Heroes, and Fabulous Personages of Antiquity (1790)
Also, of the Images and Idols Adored in the Pagan World; Together with Their Temples, Priests, Altars, Oracles, Fasts, Festivals, Games ... by John Bell
AEGIS, the shield ...
Others suppose the aegis not to have been a buckler, but a cuirass, or breastplate; and it is certain the aegis of Pallas, described by Virgil, AEn: lib. vii. ver, 435, must have been a cuirass; since that poet says expressly, that Medusa's head was ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aegis
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aegis
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: G. McCracken
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aegis
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Aegis!
Scrabble value of A1E1G2I1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AEGIS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aegis!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aegis to see it in context!