Afar appears in the following palindrome (phrase that reads the same backward as forward):
- Pull afar again, for a jaw as level saw a jar of Niagara fall up.
On this page:
- Definition of the adverb afar
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afar
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afar
- Photos about Afar
- Videos about Afar
- Sign language
- Quotes about Afar
- Scrabble value of A1F4A1R1
- Anagrams of AFAR
- Share this page
The word afar is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adverb afar
What does afar mean as an attribute of something other than a noun?
- (old-fashioned) at or from or to a great distance; far
- examples: we traveled afar | we could see the ship afar off | the Magi came from afar
Afar a.k.a. Afar Region: The Afar Regional State is one of the nine regional states of Ethiopia, and is the homeland of the Afar people. Formerly known as Region 2, its new capital as of 2007 capital is the recently constructed city of Semera, which lies on the paved Awash–Asseb highway.
- also known as Afar Kilil, Āfar, Āfar Kilil
- country: Ethiopia
- "Afar" is a musical album of The Ice Choir.
- released on
- "Afar" is a musical album of Final.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Afar" is a musical album of Doumka Clarinet Ensemble.
- released in (4 years ago)
"Afar" is a book by Harry Gilonis.
- also known as "Afar ; Alongside"
- Afar a.k.a. The Afar language is an Afro-Asiatic language, belonging to the family's Cushitic branch. It is spoken by the Afar people in Djibouti, Eritrea and Ethiopia.
- read more about Afar Language
- Afar is a travel publication focused on Experiential Travel based in the United States. The company also operates a non-profit foundation providing scholarships for educational journeys for students. It was launched in 2009 by Greg Sullivan and Joseph Diaz. AFAR is headquartered in San Francisco, California and has an office in New York City. AFAR was featured on the Martha Stewart Show. It has received awards in the travel writing and journalism industry.
- official website: www.afar.com
- Afar a.k.a. aldo-keto reductase family 7, member A2 (aflatoxin aldehyde reductase) is a gene.
- also known as aflatoxin beta1 aldehyde reductase; aldoketoreductase 7; aldo-keto reductase family 7, member A2
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afar
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Languages (1998)
The Definitive Reference to More Than 400 Languages by Andrew Dalby
Afar, one of the Lowland East CUSHITIC LANGUAGES, is spoken in the desert region of southern Eritrea, in Djibouti (once the 'French Territory of the Afars and Issas') and in neighbouring parts of Ethiopia. The speakers call themselves 'A 'far ...
by Dan Connell, Tom Killion
composition of these subtribes illustrates the way in which “aristocrat” and “ commoner” divisions are mixed together among the Eritrean Afar: The Dahimela were descended from “commoner” clients, such as Hedarem; the Damoheita and ...
An Encyclopedia of the World's Geographic Features by Joyce A. Quinn, Susan L. Woodward
The Afar Triangle is a downfaulted block at the northern terminus of the East African Rift where it forms a triple junction with the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden rifts. The area remains tectonically and volcanically active. In its northwest apex is the ...
by Facts On File, Incorporated
AfAr location: Danakil Desert in Eritrea and Ethiopia, and in neighboring Djibouti time period: 10th century c.e . to present ancestry: Cushitic language: Cushitic ( Afro-Asiatic) AfrIkANerS location: South Africa; Namibia; Kenya; Zimbabwe time ...
An Encyclopedia by John A. Shoup III
The Afar, also referred to as Danakil, are pastoral nomads living in the harsh deserts of Dankalia in southern Eritrea, Djibouti, and adjoining lowlands of northeastern Ethiopia. The only fertile land is near the Awash River. The Afar number ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afar
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afar
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Caitlinator
Photo credit: K J Payne
Somerset Skate Park
Nikon FA 50mm f/1.8
Kodak Tri-X self-loaded (Shot at 400iso)
Scanned with Epson Perfection 4490
Photo credit: awesomesther
The tower as seen from the far end of the approach coming from Nishijin sort of area. This whole part of the town is built on land reclaimed from the seas, and is home to not only this rather impressive tower; but also Tv studios, plush offices, the Fukuoka Baseball stadium (The Yahoo! dome) and the JAL hotel.
Photo credit: Stuart Frisby
Morning light, Washington Park, Warren.
Photo credit: Nicholas_T
- Tough Afar Boy
Photo credit: hypertornado
- Looking Afar.
Photo credit: David Lewallen
- Afar Village Girls
Photo credit: hypertornado
- Alcatraz Afar
Photo credit: openfly
- Moonlight Afar
Photo credit: Shelton Keys Dunning
- LA Afar
Photo credit: Geoff Livingston
View more pictures about From Afar.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Afar
Click on an item to play that video:
- Explanation of the Recitation of Abu Ja'afar | Shaykh Okasha Kameny
Al-Minhaal's Director of Quran Qira'aat Institute, Shaykh Okasha Kameny, explains the recitation of Abu Ja'afar Yazeed ibn Al-Qa'aqaa' that he recited with ...
- Afar Meaning
Video shows what Afar means. A Cushitic language spoken in Ethiopia, Eritrea and Djibouti.. The people speaking this language and residing in these regions.
- Afar Meaning
Video shows what afar means. At, to, or from a great distance; far away.. Afar Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say afar. Powered ...
View more videos about Afar language.
See also the pronunciation examples of Afar!
11. ASL - Afar as a Second Language
Quotes about Afar
We are certainly getting ahead; if I am Moses, then you are Joshua and will take possession of the promised land of psychiatry, which I shall only be able to glimpse from afar. (Sigmund Freud)
more quotes about afar...
Scrabble value of A1F4A1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFAR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Afar!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afar to see it in context!