The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun affair:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun affair
- Phrases with Affair
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affair
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affair
- Photos about Affair
- Video language resources about Affair
- Quotes about Affair
- Scrabble value of A1F4F4A1I1R1
- Anagrams of AFFAIR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun affair
What does affair mean as a name of something?
Affair is one of the top 1000 most common nouns in the English language.
noun - plural: affairs
- a vaguely specified concern
- example: it is none of your affair
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of affair: matter / thing
- more generic word: concern = something that interests you because it is important or affects you
- more specific word: least = something that is of no importance
- a usually secretive or illicit sexual relationship
- a vaguely specified social event
- example: the party was quite an affair
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- synonyms of affair: function / occasion / social function / social occasion
- more generic term: social event = an event characteristic of persons forming groups
- more specific terms:
- party = an occasion on which people can assemble for social interaction and entertainment
- celebration / jubilation = a joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
- ceremonial occasion / ceremonial / observance / ceremony = a formal event performed on a special occasion
- fundraiser = a social function that is held for the purpose of raising money
- photo opportunity / photo op = an occasion that lends itself to (or is deliberately arranged for) taking photographs that provide favorable publicity for those who are photographed
- sleepover = an occasion of spending a night away from home or having a guest spend the night in your home
Alternative definition of the noun affair
- That which is done or is to be done; matter; concern; business of any kind, commercial, professional, or public; — often in the plural.
- Any proceeding or action which it is wished to refer to or characterize vaguely.
- [military] An action or engagement not of sufficient magnitude to be called a battle.
- A material object (vaguely designated).
- An adulterous relationship. (from affaire de cœur.)
- "Affair" is a romance, drama, melodrama film directed by Kim In-gyoo and Kim Min-joon.
- also known as Mil-ae
- country: South Korea
- language: Korean Language
- directors: Kim In-gyoo & Kim Min-joon
- genres: Romance Film, Drama, Melodrama, East Asian cinema, World cinema
- rating: Teenager Restricted
- released on
- "Affair": Relasyon is a 1982 drama film written by Ishmael Bernal, Raquel Villavicencio, and Ricardo Lee and directed by Ishmael Bernal.
- also known as Relasyon
- country: Philippines
- languages: Tagalog language, Filipino language
- producer: Lily Monteverde
- production design by Benjie De Guzman
- art direction by Dennis Cid
- written by Ricky Lee, Raquel Villavicencio, Ishmael Bernal
- based on a story by Ricky Lee, Raquel Villavicencio, Ishmael Bernal
- Cesar Montano as Ralph Palomeno
- Vilma Santos as Maria Lourdes Castañeda
- Christopher de Leon as Emil
- Jimi Melendez as Junjun
- Bing Caballero
- Manny Castañeda as Edwin
- Ernie Zarate as Mr. Castañeda
- Beth Mondragon as Lisa
- Bing Fabregas
- Olive Madridejos
- Augusto Victa
- Dante Castro as Neurologist
- Tony Angeles as Abogado
- Thaemar Achacoso
- Myrna Rosales as Census
- Lucy Quinto as Mrs. Castañeda
- cinematography by Sergio Lobo
- edited by Augusto Salvador
- music by Vanishing Tribe
- genre: Drama
- released on (33 years ago)
- "Affair" is a film.
- country: United States of America
"Affair" is a book by Antony Amato.
- "Affair" is the third studio album by American singer Cherrelle. Released on November 2, 1988 by Tabu Records, It reached #15 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart; and #106 on Billboard Top 200. It spawned the #1 R&B hit "Everything I Miss At Home," which is Cherrelle's only #1 on that chart to date.
- "AFFAIR" is a musical single of Shikao Suga.
- released on (15 years ago)
Affair is a musical group.
- album: "Face to Face"
Affair: An affair is a sexual relationship or a romantic friendship or passionate attachment between two people.
- also known as Affairs
Phrases with Affair
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affair
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Emily M. Brown
Definitions An affair is a sexual involvement with someone other than the spouse, which is hidden from the spouse. The key elements are extramarital, sexual, and secret. This definition excludes open marriages and other consensual, ...
Sealing the Deal (2011)
The Love Mentor's Guide to Lasting Love by Diana Kirschner
Acting like you are having an affair is a powerful relationship enhancer no matter how long you have been together. Here is the key...
What's interesting about having an affair is that the partners are not automatically available to do the deed.
The Fall of Public Man (1977)
by Richard Sennett
The Dreyfus Affair is a classic case of how, when a community based on an abstract, diffuse collective personality takes form, an irremediable schism opens up in a society. No change in material conditions, in history, can alter the position of ...
Synonyms Discriminated (1889)
A Dictionary of Synonymous Words in the English Language, Illustrated with Quotations from Standard Writers by Charles John Smith
An affair is any fact which personally affects, whether as an occurrence, a duty or obligation, a transaction or employment; and in the...
The Greville Memoirs (2011)
A Journal of the Reigns of King George IV, King William IV and Queen Victoria by Charles Cavendish Fulke Greville, Henry Reeve
The Chinese affair is the most serious, and one can see no solution of it that is not full of objections and embarrassments.1 In the first place it ...
We are not now concerned with the beauty of the reflection, or the excellence of the doctrine ; our present affair is a mere question of taste. NoVv if the order of this passage had been reversed ; if in a discourse upon the doctrine- of works, Mr .
by Andrew Robertson, Michael A. Morrison, William G. Shade, Robert Johnston, Robert Zieger, Thomas Langston, Richard Valelly
The Eaton Affair occurred simultaneously with increasing discord within the administration about the relative powers of the states and the national government. These differences were manifested in such issues as the Tariff of 1828 and the ...
Encyclopedia of Judaism (2005)
by Sara E. Karesh, Mitchell M. Hurvitz
The 1840 Damascus Affair, which involved BLOOD LIBEL accusations and the torture of innocent Jews, represented one of the first times that human rights abuses rose to the attention of an international public, and marked the start of ...
The Definitive Encyclopedia and Document Collection by Spencer C. Tucker
Affair. Start. Date: November. 1861. End. Date: January. 1862. Diplomatic crisis between the United States and Great Britain. Captain Charles Wilkes of the screw frigate San Jacinto was searching for the Confederate commerce raider Sumter ...
by Lynda Lee Kaid, Christina Holtz-Bacha
The Waldheim affair refers to discussions about the involvement of the former Austrian President Kurt Waldheim (1918–2007) in World War II. Waldheim, a member of the People's Party (Österreichische Volkspartei, or ÖVP), was foreign ...
An Encyclopedia by Gary Giroux
The Haymarket affair dealt with the bombing in Haymarket Square, Chicago, in 1886 and the aftermath. Industrial production and corporate profits rose rapidly in the 1880s, but not wages or working conditions as hundreds of thousands of ...
by Martin J. Manning, Clarence R. Wyatt
Affair. Iran-Contra was the linkage of two otherwise vastly different foreign policy problems that bedeviled the Reagan administration: how to secure the release of U.S. hostages held by Iranian-backed kidnappers in Lebanon and how to ...
An Encyclopedia by Louis G. Perez
Golovnin Affair (l8l l-l8l3) In 1811, the Russian sloop Diana was on a surveying trip in the Kurile Islands, as part of the Russian push ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affair
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affair
Click on an item to view that photo:
View more pictures about The Deadly Affair.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Affair
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Shameful Affair explanation
This hopefully clears up the most confusing aspect of the story.
- Brazil Asks Explanation To Google In The Street View Affair
Brazil Asks Explanation To Google In The Street View Affair CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR LATEST NEWS UPDATES...
- Dream meaning of Affair
- LUXE : The Definition of Opulence - A Golden Affair | Sat 2.21.09 | Culture19.com
Luxe, from the latin word luxus bears the meaning of elegance and sumptuous. Brands attain the status of "luxury goods" due to their design, quality, durability or ...
- Military sources and Members of Congress demand fuller explanation of Petraeus affair
- Bascom Affair original site and explanation courtesy US National Park System
The confrontation between Major Bascom and Cochise occurred here.
- A Current Affair: Hair language
Trudy Gilbert gives advice on 'hair language' the secret body language of hair.
- Language Matter A Documentary made by Ministry of Religions Affair, Bangladesh.
What a amazing intellectual video by Ministry of Religions Affair, Bangladesh. Credit goes to Principle Matior Rahaman,Minister, Ministry of Religions Affair, ...
- Dictionary: Affair
Meaning of the word Affair.
- A Phrasal Verb Affair CD Super Promocja Z A Phrasal Verb Affair Scene 1 Building Up Anger PDF
See also the pronunciation examples of Affair!
Quotes about Affair
Scrabble value of A1F4F4A1I1R1
The value of this 6-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFFAIR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Affair!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affair to see it in context!