On this page:
Definition of the noun affective disorder
What does affective disorder mean as a name of something?
- any mental disorder not caused by detectable organic abnormalities of the brain and in which a major disturbance of emotions is predominant
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of affective disorder: emotional disorder / emotional disturbance / major affective disorder
- more generic terms: disturbance / folie / mental disorder / mental disturbance / psychological disorder = a psychological disorder of thought or emotion
- more specific terms:
- clinical depression / depressive disorder / depression = a state of depression and anhedonia so severe as to require clinical intervention
- manic disorder / mania = a mood disorder
- manic-depressive psychosis / manic depressive illness / bipolar disorder / manic depression = a mental disorder characterized by episodes of mania and depression
Phrases with Affective Disorder
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affective Disorder
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Thomas Nordegren
Bipolar affective disorder, current episode hypomanic F31. 1 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode manic without psychotic symptoms F31. 2 Bipolar affective disorder, current episode manic with psychotic symptoms F31. 3 Bipolar ...
Encyclopedia of Depression (2010)
by Linda Wasmer Andrews
“Seasonal Affective Disorder: A Description of the Syndrome and Preliminary Findings with Light Therapy.” Archives of General Psychiatry 41 (1984): 72–80. Rosenthal, N. E., M. Genhart, F. M. Jacobsen, R. G. Skwerer, and T. A. Wehr.
by Maqbool Ahmad
Affective disorder. Mental disorders marked by great emotionality, such as depression or elation so extreme that the individual loses contact with the environment. Affective disorder, bipolar. The severe disorders of mood in which the same ...
by Steven R. Pritzker
of creativity and psychopathology's emphasis has shifted from schizophrenia to the affective disorders, particularly bipolar affective disorder. It is not uncommon to see eminent individuals from various historical eras who were diagnosed with ...
by John Harris, Vicky White
See also AFFECTIVE DISORDER; BIPOLAR DISORDER. affective disorder ( mood disorder) An overarching category that refers to a group of mental health problems involving thoughts, behaviours, and emotions in which a person's mood is ...
by Dawn Freshwater, Sian Masiln-Prothero
The atypical affective disorder group includes ATYPICAL BIPOLAR DISORDER in which the manic features cannot be classified under bipolar disorder or cyclothymic disorder, and ATYPICAL DEPRESSION in which the individual has ...
by David A. Bedworth, Albert E. Bedworth
cf: affective; bipolar disorder; depression; mania; unipolar affective disorder. AFFECTIVE DOMAIN health education that ...
An Encyclopedia of Behavioral Economics by Morris Altman
CALENDAR EFFECT Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a medical condition that can have economic consequences (calendar effect). The clinical symptoms of the disorder include, for example, loss of interest, loss of energy, increased ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affective Disorder
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Affective Disorder
A classic case of holiday affective disorder
Photo credit: Brendan Adkins
View more pictures about Seasonal affective disorder.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affective Disorder to see it in context!