The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun affirmation:
Comparison of usage frequency between the noun affirmation and its most common antonym:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun affirmation
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affirmation
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affirmation
- Photos about Affirmation
- Video language resources about Affirmation
- Quotes about Affirmation
- Scrabble value of A1F4F4I1R1M3A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun affirmation
What does affirmation mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: affirmations
- a statement asserting the existence or the truth of something
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of affirmation: avouchment / avowal
- more generic words: assertion / asseveration / averment = a declaration that is made emphatically
- more specific words:
- the act of affirming or asserting or stating something
- (religion) a solemn declaration that serves the same purpose as an oath (if an oath is objectionable to the person on religious or ethical grounds)
- a judgment by a higher court that the judgment of a lower court was correct and should stand
Alternative definition of the noun affirmation
- A declaration that something is true; an oath.
- synonym: assertion
- A form of self-forced meditation or repetition; autosuggestion.
Specialised definition of the noun affirmation
Glossary of justice
a non-religious alternative to the oath sworn by someone about to give evidence in court or swearing a statement
Affirmation is a musical group.
- album: "Lost Angeles"
Affirmation is a record label.
- "Affirmation" is the second and final studio album by Australian pop duo Savage Garden. The album was released on 9 November 1999.
- "Affirmation" is a song by Savage Garden, released as the fourth single from their second studio album of the same name.
- "Affirmation": 'Affirmation' is the title of the fourth album from Beverley Knight, released in 2004 by Parlophone records.
- "Affirmation" is a composition.
- "Affirmation" is a composition.
- "Affirmation" is a musical album of Solu Music.
"Affirmation" is a book by Haris Vlavianos.
- also known as "Affirmation: selected poems, 1986-2006"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affirmation
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Welcome to the State of Joy (2007)
by Jim Johnson
An affirmation is a statement of truth. So. . .we make a statement of truth and that statement of truth is a prayer, because what goes out of our mouth... comes back to us filled. That is in Isaiah. What we send forth from our mouth. . .does not come ...
by Rosalind Thorpe
The Webster dictionary states an affirmation is an assertion, a positive statement; a solemn declaration. An affirmation is a way of “making firm” that which you are wanting. Our minds are continually at work chattering to itself about life, the ...
by Jerry Lopper
Positive Affirmations and Goals: An affirmation is a statement of declaration, a reinforcement or affirming ofa strong belief. Regular...
How to Be Happy 99% of the Time: A Practical Action Plan to Make Life Easier, Fun, and Meaningful (2012)
by Jeanne Floresca
They must be said with conviction, and this positivity must be maintained; repeating a positive affirmation is the first step toward change, but it won't do any good if it is counteracted by more negativity later in the day. Anytime you start to have a ...
Winning Ways for Creating Work That You Love by Barbara Winter
Start by feeding yourself a positive affirmation. An affirmation is a strong. positive statement you can use to enhance feelings about yourself. make changes in your life. or reinforce your self-esteein. Using affirmations is both a discipline and an ...
Affirmation is the enunciation of something concerning something, but negation is the enunciation of something from something. Since, however, a man may enunciate what is inherent as though it were not, and what is not as though it were; ...
by Robert C. Eklund, Gershon Tenenbaum
Affirmation is the act of reflecting on core aspects of the self, such as important values, relationships, and personal...
Previous research shows that self- affirmation interventions can reduce psychological and physiological stress and ...
Teaching to Write and Pronounce the English Tongue with Ease and Propriety, in Wich Each Word is Accented According to Its Just and Natural Pronunciation ... with a List of Proper Names of Men and Women ..., Towich is Prefixed a Gammatical Introduction to the English Tongue by John Entick, William Crakelt
An Affirmation is that part of speech that be tokeneth how or in what manner one person or thing is acted upon or affected by another; or it is a word used when we affiini one thing of another, as, man is a rational creature ; together With the ...
Entickts New Spelling Dictionary, Teaching to Write and Pronounce the English Tongue ... a New Ed. ... By William Crakelt (1786)
An Affirmation is that part of speech that betokeneth how or in what manner bne perfon or thing is acted upon or affećted by another; or it is a word used when we affirm one thing of another, as, man is a rational creature ; together with the ...
Entick's New spelling dictionary, teaching to write and pronounce the English tongue ... To which is prefixed, A grammatical introduction to the English tongue. A new edition. Revised, corrected, and enlarged. To which is added, A catalogue of words of similar sounds, but of different spellings ... By William Crakelt (1788)
by John ENTICK, William CRAKELT
An Affirmation is that part of speech that betokeneth how or in what manner one person or thing is acted upon or affected by...
Neither does the affirmation only express the simple existence of things, as, jobn it, or Yobn existr; but it shows the ...
The New Spelling Dictionary, Teaching to Write and Pronounce the English Tongue ... To which is Prefixed, a Grammatical Introduction ... A New Edition. Revised, Corrected, and Enlarged Throughout. To which is ... Added, A Catalogue of Words of Similar Sounds ... By William Crakelt (1787)
by John ENTICK
An Affirmation is that part osfpeech that betokeneth how or in what manner one person or thing is acted upon or affected by another; or it is a word used when we affirm one thing of ...
New Age Encyclopedia (2003)
A Mind, Body, Spirit Reference Guide by Belinda Whitworth
Finding the right affirmation may take time but you will know when you do because you will feel a sense of relief. One way to find it is to identify what is bothering you and then turn that on its head. For example, if worry or fear is your problem, ...
The New Spelling Dictionary ... Revised, Corrected, and Enlarged Throughout. To which is Now Added, a Catalogue of Words of Similar Sounds, But of Different Spellings and Significations. By the Rev. W. Crakelt (1784)
by John ENTICK, William CRAKELT
An Affirmation is that part of speech that betokeneth how or in what manner one perfon or thing is aćled upon or affected by another; or, it is a word u fed, when we affirm one thing of another; as, man is a rational creature; together with the ...
The New Spelling Dictionary (1780)
by John Entick
An Affirmation is that part of speech that betokeneth how or in what manner one person or thing is acted upon or affected by another; ...
by Oliver Leaman
non-implicative negation, a negation which is simple and leaves no room for any affirmation or implication in its aftermath, and (2) implicative negation, which ...
by Merril D. Smith
GENDER AFFIRMATION SURGERY Gender affirmation surgery is also called gender alignment surgery or gender-confirm- ing surgery.Terms such as sex reassignment surgery and gender reassignment surgery are increasingly considered ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affirmation
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affirmation
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Affirmation
Click on an item to play that video:
- Affirmation Definition
Affirmation Definition,Affirmation Definition,Affirmation Definition,Affirmation Definition,Affirmation Definition...
- Affirmation Meaning
Video shows what affirmation means. That which is affirmed; a declaration that something is true.. A form of self-forced meditation or repetition; autosuggestion..
- Moon affirmation explanation
- Talent Show! Cassendre Xavier: affirmation explanation
- Affirmation explanation
- Become a vocabulary genius - affirmation video
- Anti-Monotheism - The True Meaning of Prayer is an Affirmation
- Daily Affirmation - Change your life! New Meaning of Life! Love Thyself
- Affirmation and Power of Words [Online Dictionary affirmations and words]
- The Affirmation of Love - The Love Language Game
Dream L.ive Movement's The Affirmation of Love took place Friday Night February 14th at The Kairos Room at Sherman Mills in Philadelphia Pennsylvania.
- Change your Language | Affirmation
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Affirmation
See also the pronunciation examples of Affirmation!
Quotes about Affirmation
Scrabble value of A1F4F4I1R1M3A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 11-letter word is 19 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affirmation to see it in context!