On this page:
- Definition of the noun affliction
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affliction
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affliction
- Photos about Affliction
- Video language resources about Affliction
- Quotes about Affliction
- Scrabble value of A1F4F4L1I1C3T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun affliction
What does affliction mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: afflictions
- a state of great suffering and distress due to adversity
- a condition of suffering or distress due to ill health
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- more generic terms: health problem / ill health / unhealthiness = a state in which you are unable to function normally and without pain
- more specific words: misshapenness / malformation / deformity = an affliction in which some part of the body is misshapen or malformed
- a cause of great suffering and distress
- lexical domain: Natural Events - nouns denoting natural events
- more generic word: trouble = an event causing distress or pain
- more specific words:
- martyrdom / calvary = any experience that causes intense suffering
- tribulation / visitation / trial = an annoying or frustrating or catastrophic event
- torment / curse = a severe affliction
- attack = a sudden occurrence of an uncontrollable condition
- nemesis / scourge / curse / bane = something causing misery or death
Alternative definition of the noun affliction
- a state of pain, suffering, distress or agony
- the cause of such a state
- "Affliction" is an American drama film produced in 1997, written and directed by Paul Schrader from the novel by Russell Banks. It stars Nick Nolte, Sissy Spacek, James Coburn and Willem Dafoe.
- also known as رنج
- countries: United States of America, Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Linda Reisman
- executive producers: Barr B. Potter & Nick Nolte
- production design by Anne Pritchard
- art direction by Michel Beaudet
- written by Paul Schrader
- based on a story by Russell Banks
- Nick Nolte as Wade Whitehouse
- Brigid Tierney as Jill Whitehouse
- Holmes Osborne as Gordon LaRiviere
- Jim True-Frost as Jack Hewitt
- Tim Post as Chick Ward
- Christopher Heyerdahl as Frankie Lacoy
- Marian Seldes as Alma Pittman
- Janine Theriault as Hettie Rogers
- Mary Beth Hurt as Lillian Whitehouse Horner
- Paul Stewart as Mr. Horner
- Sissy Spacek as Margie Fogg
- Wayne Robson as Nick Wickham
- Sean McCann as Evan Twombley
- Sheena Larkin as Lugene Brooks
- James Coburn as Glen Whitehouse
- Willem Dafoe as Rolfe Whitehouse
- casting by Kathleen Chopin & Ellen Chenoweth
- cinematography by Paul Sarossy
- edited by Jay Rabinowitz
- music by Michael Brook
- costume design by François Laplante
- genres: Indie film, Crime Fiction, Mystery, Thriller, Drama
- tagline: Wade Whitehouse is frightened to death of following in his father's footsteps.
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (17 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actor (Role: Wade Whitehouse) nomination for Nick Nolte
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Glen Whitehouse) nomination for James Coburn
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture – Drama (role: Wade Whitehouse) nomination for Nick Nolte
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Film
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor nomination for Nick Nolte
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Glen Whitehouse), received by James Coburn
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actor, received by Nick Nolte
- New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor, received by Nick Nolte
- Satellite Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama (Role: Wade Whitehouse) nomination for Nick Nolte
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Paul Sarossy
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Director nomination for Paul Schrader
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Male Lead nomination for Nick Nolte
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Male nomination for James Coburn
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Screenplay nomination for Paul Schrader
- Independent Spirit Award for Best Feature nomination for Linda Reisman
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Glen Whitehouse) nomination for James Coburn
- Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role (Role: Wade Whitehouse ) nomination for Nick Nolte
- "Affliction" is a film, directed by Richard Somes and written by Richard Somes & Dwight Gaston, based on a story by Richard Somes.
- country: Philippines
- language: Filipino language
- executive producer: Ronald Arguelles
- production design by Donald Russ Camon, Michael N. Español, Rashem Gumacal
- art direction by Adrian Española
- cinematography by Hermann Claravall & Lyle Sacris
- edited by Borgy Torre
- music by Von de Guzman
- costume design by Christine Benares
- genres: Horror, Drama
- released on (7 years ago)
- "Affliction": Torsten's existance is torn apart when he inherits a diary from his euthanized grandfather and uncovers a horrific family's past. Stars Peter Muir and Amos Phillips.
- "Affliction" is a book written by Laurell K. Hamilton.
- language: English Language
- genre: Urban fantasy
- "Affliction" is a book by Fay Weldon.
- also known as "Affliction (Isis Series)"
- genre: Fiction
- subjects: London, Marriage, England
- "Affliction" is a book by Russell Banks.
- genre: Fiction
- released in (26 years ago)
- award: - PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction nomination for Russell Banks
- "Affliction" is the first official full-length album by the industrial alternative rock band Econoline Crush. It was released in Canada in 1996 by EMI, and in the United States by Nettwerk Records.
- "Affliction" is a musical EP of P.H.T.O..
- released on
- "Affliction" is a musical EP of Science of Sleep.
- released on
- "Affliction" is a musical EP of Carcer City.
- released on (5 years ago)
- "Affliction" is a musical EP of Nebucadnezzer.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Affliction" is a musical album of Control.
- released in (11 years ago)
- "Affliction" is a composition.
- music by S1gns of L1fe
- Affliction is a musical group.
- album: "The Damnation of Humanization"
- Affliction is a musical group.
- album: "Execution Is Necessary"
There are other groups with in their name, like The Amity Affliction.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affliction
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Consisting of Beautiful Thoughts, Choice Extracts and Sayings, of the Most Eminent Writers of All Nations, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time, Together with a Comprehensive Biographical Index of Authors, and an Alphabetical List of Subjects Quoted
Affliction is a winged chariot that mounts up the soul toward heaven. T. Adams.
Affliction is a school of virtue ; it corrects levity, and interrupts the confidence of sinning. J. Taylor.
Selected Essays, 1934-1943 (2015)
Historical, Political, and Moral Writings by Simone Weil
Affliction is a device for pulverizing the soul; the man who falls into it is like a workman who gets caught up in a machine...
A Case Study of the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) by Abdulhamid A. Abusulayman, ʿAbdulḥamīd ʿA. Abū-Sulaymān
The First Affliction is that of imitation and replication. The majority...
The Second Affliction is the distortion of the comprehensive Islamic vision, together with the blights, superstition, and charlatanism that aʙduʟʜamɪd a. aʙusuʟaʏmaɴ 10 VI.
With a Memoir of the Author by William G. Harris
Affliction is a more particular temporal evil, but sin is an infinite universal evil. Sickness depriveth us of health, poverty of wealth, &c., and every adverse providence doth but oppose some particular temporal good ; but sin depriveth us of God, ...
Rewiring the Real (2013)
In Conversation with William Gaddis, Richard Powers, Mark Danielewski, and Don DeLillo by Mark C. Taylor
But thinking's greatest affliction is that today , ...
A Dictionary of Tocharian B. (2013)
Revised and Greatly Enlarged. by Douglas Q. Adams
'pain, affliction, distress, anguish' [used of all passions, all of which were disapproved from the Buddhist point of view] [kle, -, kle//kleanma, kleanmats, kleanma] kleanma (IT-193b3E), [: po] kaueñca yokye kle ontsoytñe tne tanmää krentats ...
A Dictionary of Thoughts (1891)
Being a Cyclopedia of Laconic Quotations from the Best Authors, Both Ancient and Modern by Tryon Edwards
Affliction is a school of virtue; it corrects levity, and interrupts the confidence of sinning';.— A Iterbury. As threshing «cparatcs the wheat from the chaff, so does affliction purify virtue.— Burton. Though all afflictions are evils in themselves, yet they ...
Abridged in One Volume by Gerhard Kittel
There is also an affliction ...
by Tremper III Longman
Affliction is a condition of physical, mental, or spiritual distress, or the cause ...
by Joseph T. Thompson
Distress, wretchedness, affliction. Shikusta-pa, atlj . Infirm, broken down, reduced*. Shikusta-paee, s.f. Infirmity, wretchedness. Shikusta-hitl, adj. Distressed, wretched, broken down, ruined. Shi- kusta-halee, s.f. Indigence, ...
by Charles Carter
The principal affliction is that between $, 2| h- The preponderance of bodies in negative signs is bad for survival in infancy but it is usual, in such cases, to find definite affliction of the Lights. 21 afflicted in its own sign X indicates the possibility of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affliction
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affliction
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Affliction
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Affliction!
Quotes about Affliction
Let me tell you I am better acquainted with you for a long absence, as men are with themselves for a long affliction absence does but hold off a friend, to make one see him the truer. (Alexander Pope)
more quotes about affliction...
Scrabble value of A1F4F4L1I1C3T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 18 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affliction to see it in context!