On this page:
Definition of the noun Affluenza
What does Affluenza mean as a name of something?
- A feeling of dissatisfaction, anxiety, etc, caused by the dogged and ongoing pursuit of more.
- "Affluenza" is a drama film directed by Kevin Asch.
- "Affluenza": Escape from Affluenza is a 1998 PBS 56-minute documentary film produced as a sequel to the 1997 documentary Affluenza. While the original concentrates on affluenza--consumerism and materialism in modern society, the sequel focuses on how to avoid this. It looks at stories of how to reduce debt, stress, time-pressure, and possession-overload.
- also known as Escape from Affluenza
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: John de Graaf
- producers: Vivia Boe & John de Graaf
- executive producers: Enrique Cerna & Dave Davis
- cinematography by Greg Bond, Greg Davis, Kevin Felts, David Fox, Tom Speer, Diana Wilmar, Brett Wood
- edited by Vivia Boe, John de Graaf, Gale Franko, Charlie Hinckley, Cleven Ticeson
- music by Sheila Espinoza
- genre: Documentary film
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Affluenza" is a musical album of Count Zero.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Affluenza" is a musical single of RinneRadio.
- released in (15 years ago)
Affluenza, a portmanteau of affluence and influenza, is a term used by critics of consumerism. The book Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic defines it as "a painful, contagious, socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety, and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more." The term "affluenza" has also been used to refer to inability to understand the consequences of one's actions because of financial privilege, notably in the case of Ethan Couch.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Affluenza
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
It's in Your Worship Not Your Works by Roland J Hill
Affluenza is a painful, contagious socially transmitted condition of overload, debt, anxiety, and waste resulting from the dogged pursuit of more. It is the bloated, sluggish, and unfulfilled feelings that result in the tireless effort to keep up with the ...
Economics After the Crisis (2014)
An Introduction to Economics from a Pluralist and Global Perspective by Irene van Staveren
Hence, affluenza is an economic illness, with characteristics of an epidemic. 3.4 Post Keynesianism: consumption versus saving In Post Keynesian economics, individual demand differentiation and change is not the focus of analysis, because ...
by Ved P. Nanda
Affluenza is a form of addiction. The highs it offers and the lows it generates coordinate and feed into each other, so that the addict is locked into the cycle. Once consumption is recognized as an addiction, this makes sense of the fact that we ...
A Geography of the Anthropocene by Mark Whitehead
Affluenza is a form of social illness, in and through which we tend to judge ourselves, and those around us, on the basis ofwhat we have executive who summed up this perspective in the The Voluntary Simplicity Movement (VSM) is a new ...
Active Hope (2012)
How to Face the Mess We're in Without Going Crazy by Joanna Macy, Chris Johnstone
Affluenza is a term used to describe the emotional distress that arises from a preoccupation with possessions and appearance. Psychologist Oliver James views it as a form of psychological virus that infects our thinking and is transmitted by ...
Over 2,600 Essential Financial Terms by Simon Briscoe, Jane Fuller
affluenza | AIM small donation goes to the chosen organisation every time they are used. Categories: Personal Finance 1740 ...
by Gary L. Anderson, Kathryn G. Herr
Affluenza [Television special]. Retrieved June 20, 2006, from http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/show/adbusters.html Jordan, T. (2002). Activism ! Direct action, hacktivism and the future of society. London: Reaktion Books.
affluenza /aef.lu' en.za/ ...
Affluenza A social condition which arises from the wish to be wealthier and successful. African Development Bank This bank provides loans and also grants to African governments and other private companies for investing in the regional ...
Encyclopedia of Geography (2010)
by Barney Warf
Affluenza: The all-consuming epidemic. San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler. Gereffi, G., & Korzeniewicz, M. (Eds.). (1994). Commodity chains and global capitalism. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. Glennie, P., & Thrift, N. (1992). Modernity ...
by Lois A. Vitt
Affluenza: The All-Consuming Epidemic. Seattle, WA: Berrett-Koehler ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Affluenza
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Affluenza
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video language resources about Affluenza
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Affluenza!
Scrabble value of A1F4F4L1U1E1N1Z10A1
The value of this 9-letter word is 24 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Affluenza to see it in context!