Afghan appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- While Suez sailors wax parquet decks, Afghan Jews vomit jauntily abaft. (59 letters)
On this page:
- Definition of the noun afghan
- Definition of the adjective afghan
- Phrases with Afghan
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afghan
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afghan
- Photos about Afghan
- Videos about Afghan
- Sign language
- Quotes about Afghan
- Scrabble value of A1F4G2H4A1N1
- Anagrams of AFGHAN
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun afghan
What does afghan mean as a name of something?
noun - plural:
- afghan: afghans
- Afghan: Afghans
- a blanket knitted or crocheted in strips or squares; sometimes used as a shawl
- a native or inhabitant of Afghanistan
- lexical domain: People - nouns denoting people
- synonym of Afghan: Afghanistani
- more generic words: Asian / Asiatic = a native or inhabitant of Asia
- more specific words:
- member of: Afghanistan / Islamic State of Afghanistan = a mountainous landlocked country in central Asia
- an Iranian language spoken in Afghanistan and Pakistan; the official language of Afghanistan
- a coat made of sheepskin
- tall graceful breed of hound with a long silky coat; native to the Near East
Alternative definition of the noun afghan
- A person from Afghanistan or of Afghan descent.
- A person of Pashtun ethnicity or of Pashtun descent.
- A breed of dogs, the Afghan hound.
- A blanket or throw, usually crocheted or knitted.
Definition of the adjective afghan
What does afghan mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more afghan / most afghan
- of or relating to or characteristic of Afghanistan or its people
Alternative definition of the adjective afghan
- Of, from, or pertaining to Afghanistan.
- Of, from, or pertaining to the Pashtun ethnic community.
Afghan a.k.a. Afghanistan, officially the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, is a landlocked country located in Central Asia and South Asia. It has a population of approximately 31 million people, making it the 42nd most populous country in the world. It is bordered by Pakistan in the south and east; Iran in the west; Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan in the north; and China in the far northeast. Its territory covers 652,000 km², making it the 41st largest country in the world.
- also known as Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, Afganistan, Islamic State of Afghanistan
- founded in 2199 B.C. (4214 years ago)
- part of Asia, South Asia, Eurasia
- instance of: Asian country / Asian nation = any one of the nations occupying the Asian continent
- Herat = a city in northwestern Afghanistan on the site of several ancient cities
- Jalalabad = a town in eastern Afghanistan
- capital of Afghanistan / Kabul = the capital and largest city of Afghanistan
- Kandahar / Qandahar = a city in southern Afghanistan
- Mazar-i-Sharif = a city in northern Afghanistan
- Hindu Kush Mountains / Hindu Kush = a mountain range extending to the west of the Himalayas
- Khyber Pass = a mountain pass of great strategic and commercial value in the Hindu Kush on the border between northern Pakistan and western Afghanistan
- Pamir Mountains / the Pamirs = a mountain range in central Asia that is centered in Tajikistan but extends into Kyrgyzstan and Afghanistan and Pakistan and western China
- member: Afghanistani / Afghan = a native or inhabitant of Afghanistan
- read more about Afghanistan (country)
Who is Afghan?
Afghan is a musical artist.
- profession: Music artist
- nominated to World Music Award for World’s Best Male Artist
- nominated to World Music Award for World’s Best Live Act
- nominated to World Music Award for World’s Best Entertainer of the Year
"Afghan" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- music by Mathias Färm, Erik Ohlsson, Nikola Sarcevic & Fredrik Larzon
- lyrics by Fredrik Larzon, Nikola Sarcevic, Erik Ohlsson & Mathias Färm
"Afghan" is a short film, directed by Pardis Parker.
- genre: Drama
- released in (7 years ago)
- Afghan refers to something from Afghanistan, particularly a citizen of that country. Prior to this definition, it was used by Persian speakers and those influenced by the Persian language to denote the Pashtun people. In modern times, "Afghan" is rarely used as an ethnic term for the Pashtuns but is rather used as the national demonym for all citizens of Afghanistan - Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazaras, Uzbeks, Aimaqs, Turkmens, Balochs, Nuristanis, Pashayis, Pamiris, Arabs, Brahui, Qezelbash and Gujjar and others.
- Afghan: The "Afghans" or "Ghans" were camel caravaners who worked in Outback Australia from the 1860s to the 1930s. They included Pathan, Punjabi, Baluchi and Sindhi men from the region between the southern Hindu Kush in Afghanistan and the Indus River in what is now Pakistan, as well as others from Kashmir, Rajastan, Egypt, Persia and Turkey. Besides providing vital support to exploration and settlement of the arid interior of the country, these cameleers played a major role in establishing Islam in Australia, building the country's first mosque at Marree in South Australia.
- Afghan a.k.a. Pashto, Northern Language is an human language.
- read more about Pashto, Northern Language
- Afghan a.k.a. Pashto, Southern Language is an human language.
- read more about Pashto, Southern Language
Phrases with Afghan
- Afghan Pika
- Afghan Pine
- Afghan Vole
- afghan hound
- Afghan Urial
- Afghan Erysimum
- afghan monetary unit
- Afghan Sign Language
- Afghan Flying Squirrel
- Afghan Mouse-Like Hamster
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afghan
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Ludwig W. Adamec
ing peace between the Afghan ruler and Ranjit Singh, who had captured Kashmir and occupied Peshawar. Burnes was well received at Kabul, and it appeared that an agreement with the amir was possible; but in spite of ...
by Martin J. Manning, Herbert Romerstein
The Afghan Media Project ended with the Reagan administration. FURTHER READING: Sarah Boxer, "When Afghanistan Collapsed," New York Times, October 2, 2001; United States Information Agency, United States Information Agency, ...
An Encyclopedia of Food and Culture by Timothy G. Roufs, Kathleen Smyth Roufs
Despite attempts to build a stable central government, continued political instability and a resurging Taliban presence contribute to a tumultuous recent Afghan history. Afghanistan is a poor Asian country with a meager standard of living.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afghan
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afghan
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: noricum
- Granny Stripe afghan
Photo credit: Aine D
- Pennants afghan complete
Knit in Noro Taiyo, Noro Chirimen, Noro Silk garden, green handspun, blue handspun, self-striping handspun, Art Fibers Anime, and coloratura stream mohair merino.
Photo credit: milele
- Scrap Afghan
Photo credit: Pirate Alice
- Waterfall afghan
Photo credit: bonaircat
- Scrap Afghan
Photo credit: Pirate Alice
- Monochrome afghan
Photo credit: Alex "Skud" Bayley
- Granny squares for afghan
Photo credit: emlibrarian
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Afghan
Click on an item to play that video:
- Farsi Dari (Afghan Persian Dialect) Qawwali - Farsi Kalam Hafiz Shirazi
Urs Mubarak Dullar Sharif Azad Kashmir 1997.
- Afghan Meaning
Video shows what Afghan means. A person from Afghanistan or of Afghan descent.. A person of Pashtun ethnicity or of Pashtun descent.. A breed of dogs, the ...
- Afghan Meaning
Video shows what afghan means. A blanket or throw, usually crocheted or knitted.. A type of iced chocolate biscuit, sometimes containing cornflakes and topped ...
- The Meaning of Eid - Afghan Video Eid-e Qurban 2014
- Afghan Hound Meaning
Video shows what Afghan Hound means. A sighthound bred in Afghanistan to hunt hare and gazelle.. Afghan Hound Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
- Team Definition reg vs extract map 2 afghan
See also the pronunciation examples of Afghan!
Afghan Sign Language Meaning
Video shows what Afghan Sign Language means. A sign language of Afghanistan.. Afghan Sign Language Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
Quotes about Afghan
A bird only flies as high as his wings take him.
more quotes about afghan...
Scrabble value of A1F4G2H4A1N1
The value of this 6-letter word is 13 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFGHAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
- FANG AH
See also the blanagrams of Afghan!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afghan to see it in context!