On this page:
- Definition of the adjective afraid
- Phrases with Afraid
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afraid
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afraid
- Photos about Afraid
- Video language resources about Afraid
- Sign language
- Quotes about Afraid
- Scrabble value of A1F4R1A1I1D2
- Anagrams of AFRAID
- Share this page
The word afraid is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective afraid
What does afraid mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more afraid / most afraid
- filled with fear or apprehension
- examples: afraid even to turn his head | suddenly looked afraid | afraid for his life | afraid of snakes | afraid to ask questions
- adjective position: predicative adjective (it occurs after a verb that follows the noun)
- antonym: unafraid
- similar: acrophobic; afeard / afeared; aghast / appalled / dismayed / shocked; agoraphobic; alarmed; algophobic; apprehensive; hangdog; claustrophobic; fearful; frightened / scared; horrified / horror-stricken / horror-struck; hunted; aquaphobic / hydrophobic; mysophobic; frightened / panic-stricken / panic-struck / panicked / panicky / terrified; numb; terror-stricken / terror-struck; triskaidekaphobic; unnerved; white-lipped; xenophobic
- attribute: fearfulness / fright / fear = an emotion experienced in anticipation of some specific pain or danger
- see also: timid; cowardly / fearful
- filled with regret or concern; used often to soften an unpleasant statement
- examples: I'm afraid I won't be able to come | he was afraid he would have to let her go | I'm afraid you're wrong
- similar: concerned
- feeling worry or concern or insecurity
- examples: She was afraid that I might be embarrassed | terribly afraid of offending someone | I am afraid we have witnessed only the first phase of the conflict
- similar: concerned
- having feelings of aversion or unwillingness
- examples: afraid of hard work | afraid to show emotion
- similar: disinclined
Alternative definition of the adjective afraid
- [context: usually used predicatively, not attributively] Impressed with fear or apprehension; in fear.
- [context: colloquial] regretful, sorry
- synonym: sorry
Afraid a.k.a. Afraid! is a musical group.
- album: "A Split CD."
- "Afraid" is a song by American rock group The Neighbourhood. The song was written by group members Jesse Rutherford, Zach Abels and Jeremy Freedman, and was produced by Justyn Pilbrow and Emile Haynie. It serves as the second single to their debut studio album, I Love You, which was released on April 19, 2013 via Columbia Records.
- "Afraid" is a song by the American heavy metal band Mötley Crüe, released on their 1997 album Generation Swine. A two-track pig promo picture CD includes the 3:56 Swine Mix and 4:10 Rave Mix. Written by bassist Nikki Sixx, the lyrics were inspired by the early stages of his relationship with Donna D'Errico, when he felt she was running away from him from fear of getting too close. The song charted at number 10 on the Mainstream rock charts.
- "Afraid" is a song written by David Bowie for the album Heathen in 2002. It was originally intended for the unreleased album Toy in 2001 and was even featured in a commercial for XM Satellite Radio that same year.
- music by David Bowie
- "Afraid" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "Afraid" is a musical EP of Bigots.
- released in (17 years ago)
- "Afraid" is a musical single of Mötley Crüe.
- released in (18 years ago)
- "Afraid" is a musical EP of Crawlspace.
- released on (15 years ago)
Phrases with Afraid
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afraid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Chillin' with Your Daddy God (2013)
by Vincent C. Grote
The word afraid also means timid. Paul told Timothy that God didn't give him a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, love, and a sound mind. Knowing that your Daddy God has your back will cause you to be bold in the face of adversity.
An Aspect of Fear (2013)
A Journey From Anxiety to Peace by Grace Sheppard
Feeling guilty for being afraid means that a profound theological misunderstanding has grown upwhich needs to be corrected. God loves us just as we are, fears and all, which does not mean that we have no need to change. Preface ...
English-Cheyenne Dictionary (1915)
by Rodolphe Charles Petter
affright , see frighten, scare , afraid . afire, ...
by Andrew Jackson Graham
Afraid [add]. Afraid of being ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afraid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afraid
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: SansPoint
Photo credit: Brînzei
Afraid of Mr Snowblower.
Photo credit: topgold
Photo credit: F H Mira
Photo credit: Murakami_Reader
Photo credit: Jon Åslund
Photo credit: Pixo7000
- Afraid of Heights
Darling Fiance not looking so good on the way up the mountain in a gondola.
Photo credit: cheetah100
- Paura - Afraid
Photo credit: gcalsa
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Afraid
Click on an item to play that video:
- Afraid Meaning
Video shows what afraid means. Impressed with fear or apprehension; in fear.. regretful, sorry. afraid pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by Wiktionary ...
- Afraid of one's own shadow Meaning
Video shows what afraid of one's own shadow means. Exceptionally timid.. Afraid of one's own shadow Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary.
- Afraid Of Doing Vs Afraid To Do - The Difference - ESL British English Pronunciation
See also the pronunciation examples of Afraid!
Click on an item to play that video:
Quotes about Afraid
Fear is a question: What are you afraid of, and why? Just as the seed of health is in illness, because illness contains information, your fears are a treasure house of self-knowledge if you explore them. (Marilyn Ferguson)
more quotes about afraid...
Scrabble value of A1F4R1A1I1D2
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFRAID
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Afraid!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afraid to see it in context!