On this page:
Definition of the noun afrasian language
What does afrasian language mean as a name of something?
- a large family of related languages spoken both in Asia and Africa
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of Afrasian language: Afrasian / Afro-Asiatic / Afroasiatic / Afroasiatic language / Hamito-Semitic
- more generic terms: natural language / tongue = a human written or spoken language used by a community
- more specific terms:
- Chadic language / Chadic / Chad = a family of Afroasiatic tonal languages (mostly two tones) spoken in the regions west and south of Lake Chad in north central Africa
- Semitic = a major branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family
- Hamitic language / Hamitic = a group of languages in northern Africa related to Semitic
- Egyptian = the ancient and now extinct language of Egypt under the Pharaohs
- Berber = a cluster of related dialects that were once the major language of northern Africa west of Egypt
- Cushitic = a group of languages spoken in Ethiopia and Somalia and northwestern Kenya and adjacent regions
- Omotic = a group of related languages spoken in a valley of southern Ethiopia
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Afrasian language
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Siegbert Uhlig
All but G3 and G9 are almost universal in the Afrasian languages of the NEA. The most non- conforming Afrasian language is Gac3Z, which became extinct about 1,200 412.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afrasian language
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Afrasian language to find many related words and phrases!