On this page:
- Definition of the noun africa
- Phrases with Africa
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Africa
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Africa
- Photos about Africa
- Video language resources about Africa
- Sign language
- Quotes about Africa
- Scrabble value of A1F4R1I1C3A1
- Anagrams of AFRICA
- Share this page
Fun fact! The first letter of every continent's name is the same as the last: Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia, and Europe.
Fun fact! Most of the world’s languages are spoken in Asia and Africa.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun africa
What does africa mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- the second largest continent; located to the south of Europe and bordered to the west by the South Atlantic and to the east by the Indian Ocean
- examples: Mali is one of the poorest countries in Subsaharan Africa. | On leaving school, he went to Africa. | The greatest number came from Europe, but many also came from Latin America, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Canada. | The war in Europe was carried into Africa. | Past the west coasts of Europe and Africa to the tip of southern Africa. | Bob Johnson tried to make people realize the seriousness of the situation in Africa. | Hemingway enjoyed big game hunting in Africa. | France used to have many colonies in Africa. | Fork-users are mainly in Europe, North America, and Latin America; chopstick-users in eastern Asia and finger-users in Africa, the Middle East, Indonesia, and India. | The virus cut down many elephants in Africa.
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- instance of: continent = one of the large landmasses of the earth
- part of: eastern hemisphere / orient = the hemisphere that includes Eurasia and Africa and Australia
- Barbary = a region of northern Africa on the Mediterranean coast between Egypt and Gibraltar
- Nubia = an ancient region of northeastern Africa (southern Egypt and northern Sudan) on the Nile
- Maghreb / Mahgrib = the region of northwest Africa comprising the Atlas Mountains and the coastlands of Morocco and Algeria and Tunisia
- African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- East Africa = a geographical area in eastern Africa
- Republic of Namibia / South West Africa / Namibia = a republic in southwestern Africa on the south Atlantic coast (formerly called South West Africa); achieved independence from South Africa in 1990
- Republic of Angola / Angola = a republic in southwestern Africa on the Atlantic Ocean
- Republic of Burundi / Burundi = a landlocked republic in east central Africa on the northeastern shore of Lake Tanganyika
- Republic of Cameroon / Cameroon / Cameroun = a republic on the western coast of central Africa
- Central African Republic / Central Africa = a landlocked country in central Africa; formerly under French control
- Republic of Chad / Tchad / Chad = a landlocked desert republic in north-central Africa
- Republic of the Congo / French Congo / Congo = a republic in west-central Africa
- Democratic Republic of the Congo / Belgian Congo / Congo / Zaire = a republic in central Africa
- Republic of Cote d'Ivoire / Cote d'Ivoire / Ivory Coast = a republic in western Africa on the Gulf of Guinea
- Republic of Benin / Dahomey / Benin = a country on western coast of Africa
- Togolese Republic / Togo = a republic on the western coast of Africa on the Gulf of Guinea
- Republic of Djibouti / Afars and Issas / Djibouti = a country in northeastern Africa on the Somali peninsula
- Republic of Equatorial Guinea / Equatorial Guinea / Spanish Guinea = a country of west central Africa
- Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia / Abyssinia / Ethiopia / Yaltopya = Ethiopia is a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea
- Roman Empire = an empire established by Augustus in 27 BC and divided in AD 395 into the Western Roman Empire and the eastern or Byzantine Empire
- Rwandese Republic / Ruanda / Rwanda = a landlocked republic in central Africa
- Republic of Botswana / Botswana = a landlocked republic in south-central Africa that became independent from British control in the 1960s
- Arab Republic of Egypt / United Arab Republic / Egypt = a republic in northeastern Africa known as the United Arab Republic until 1971
- Republic of Kenya / Kenya = a republic in eastern Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1963
- Gabonese Republic / Gabon / Gabun = a republic on the west coast of Africa
- Republic of The Gambia / The Gambia / Gambia = a narrow republic surrounded by Senegal in West Africa
- Republic of Ghana / Gold Coast / Ghana = a republic in West Africa on the Gulf of Guinea
- Republic of Guinea / French Guinea / Guinea = a republic in western Africa on the Atlantic; formerly a French colony
- Republic of Guinea-Bissau / Portuguese Guinea / Guinea-Bissau / Guine-Bissau = a republic on the northwestern coast of Africa
- Kingdom of Lesotho / Basutoland / Lesotho = a landlocked constitutional monarchy in southern Africa
- Republic of Liberia / Liberia = a republic in West Africa
- Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya / Libya = a military dictatorship in northern Africa on the Mediterranean; consists almost entirely of desert
- Republic of Madagascar / Malagasy Republic / Madagascar = a republic on the island of Madagascar
- Republic of Malawi / Nyasaland / Malawi = a landlocked republic in southern central Africa
- Republic of Mali / French Sudan / Mali = a landlocked republic in northwestern Africa; achieved independence from France in 1960
- Islamic Republic of Mauritania / Mauritania / Mauritanie / Muritaniya = a country in northwestern Africa with a provisional military government; achieved independence from France in 1960
- Republic of Mozambique / Mocambique / Mozambique = a republic on the southeastern coast of Africa on the Mozambique Channel
- Republic of Niger / Niger = a landlocked republic in West Africa; gained independence from France in 1960
- Federal Republic of Nigeria / Nigeria = a republic in West Africa on the Gulf of Guinea; gained independence from Britain in 1960
- Republic of Senegal / Senegal = a republic in northwestern Africa on the coast of the Atlantic
- Republic of Sierra Leone / Sierra Leone = a republic in West Africa
- Somalia = a republic in extreme eastern Africa on the Somali peninsula
- Somali peninsula / Horn of Africa = a peninsula of northeastern Africa (the easternmost part of Africa) comprising Somalia and Djibouti and Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia
- Republic of South Africa / South Africa = a republic at the southernmost part of Africa; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1910
- Soudan / Sudan = a region of northern Africa to the south of the Sahara and Libyan deserts
- Republic of the Sudan / Soudan / Sudan = a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea
- Kingdom of Swaziland / Swaziland = a landlocked monarchy in southeastern Africa
- United Republic of Tanzania / Tanzania = a republic in eastern Africa
- Ottoman Empire / Turkish Empire = a Turkish sultanate of southwestern Asia and northeastern Africa and southeastern Europe; created by the Ottoman Turks in the 13th century and lasted until the end of World War I
- Republic of Uganda / Uganda = a landlocked republic in eastern Africa
- Republic of Zambia / Northern Rhodesia / Zambia = a republic in central Africa
- Republic of Zimbabwe / Southern Rhodesia / Rhodesia / Zimbabwe = a landlocked republic in south central Africa formerly called Rhodesia
- Sahara Desert / Sahara = the world's largest desert (3,500,000 square miles) in northern Africa
- Sub-Saharan Africa / Black Africa = the region of Africa to the south of the Sahara Desert
- North Africa = an area of northern Africa between the Sahara and the Mediterranean Sea
- West Africa = an area of western Africa between the Sahara Desert and the Gulf of Guinea
- Great Rift Valley = a depression in southwestern Asia and eastern Africa; extends from the valley of the Jordan River to Mozambique
- Lake Chad / Chad = a lake in north central Africa
- Lake Tanganyika / Tanganyika = the longest lake in the world in central Africa between Tanzania and Congo in the Great Rift Valley
- Victoria Nyanza / Lake Victoria = the largest lake in Africa and the 2nd largest fresh water lake in the world
- Chari River / Shari River / Chari / Shari = an African river that flows northwest into Lake Chad
- "Africa" a.k.a. "A.F.R.I.K.A." is a 2002 South Korean film in the action comedy genre, directed by Shin Seung-soo and starring Lee Yo-won, Kim Min-sun, Lee Young-jin and Jo Eun-ji. The film's title is an acronym for "Adoring Four Revolutionary Idols Korean Association".
- read more about A.F.R.I.K.A.
- "Africa" is a 1930 Walter Lantz cartoon short featuring Oswald the Lucky Rabbit.
- genres: Animation, Comedy
- released on (85 years ago)
- "Africa" is a 2011 short film written and directed by Matti Harju.
- "Africa": A troubled fashion model must struggle to survive after a car accident leaves her stranded in the African bush.
- "Africa" is a 1999 animated short film directed by Faith Hubley.
- country: United States of America
- genre: Animation
- released on (16 years ago)
- "Africa" is a film.
- country: Spain
- genre: Drama
- Africa is a fictional character from the 1997 film Porzus.
- Africa is a fictional character from the 1940 film Africa Squeaks.
- Africa is a fictional character from the 1951 film La miel se fue de la luna.
- Africa is a fictional film character.
There are other characters with in their name, like Mama Africa.
Who is Africa?
Africa is an actress.
- profession: Actor
- read more about Africa (actress)
Phrases with Africa
- North Africa Grass
- east africa
- west africa
- black africa
- Musca Africa
- north africa
- Amobia Africa
- horn of africa
- Western Africa
- Coenosia Africa
- Bambalina Africa
- Aenasiella Africa
- Microterys Africa
- Sarcophaga Africa
- Brachymeria Africa
- sub-saharan africa
- british east africa
- british west africa
- Xenocoenosia Africa
View more phrases with the word Africa in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Africa
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Beyond the Standard Narrative of Black Religion by W. Hart
Africa is the Cosmic Egg in whose nutritious yolk and albumen life germinated and from whose shell life emerged: the chaos that an emerging cosmos overcame, the prototype of creation and procreation, physiological and spiritual vitality, ...
From Religious Studies to Interreligious Studies in Africa by Frans Jozef Servaas Wijsen
Africa is a continent with 800 million inhabitants, but also with great numbers in diaspora. Africa is a continent that has been marginalised on the world market and in world politics, but it is working at a comeback, an African renaissance.
Your Gap Year (2008)
Everything You Need to Know to Make Your Year Out the Adventure of a Lifetime by Susan Griffith
Africa is the birthplace of humanity, home to many natural wonders of the world, and full of a pulsing vibrancy that blows away ideas about it being the dark or hopeless continent. 21st century Africa is a remarkable collection of extremes, often right next to each other.
Volume I: Drug and Chemical Control by William R. Brownfield
South Africa is a large producer of cannabis.
South Africa is a significant transit country for precursor chemicals.
Despite the progress it has made coping with organized crime, South Africa is the origin, transit point or terminus of many ...
by Marco Arnone, Alessandro Gambini, Salim M. Darbar
Looking at other geographic areas, the BCP mean and standard deviation for Sub-Saharan Africa is the lowest...
Imagining God (2002)
Empirical Explorations from an International Perspective by Hans-Georg Ziebertz
Pieterse This article is a study of the tension which arises because South Africa is a religious society within a secular state, or a secular state embedded ...
The Evolution of Englishes (2014)
The Dynamic Model and beyond by Sarah Buschfeld, Thomas Hoffmann, Magnus Huber, Alexander Kautzsch
Because South Africa is a very diverse country with different individual sharing different characteristics so by learning a new language you get to learn and understand our nationality better.
by Ania Loomba
There Africa is a primeval jungle and a source of power ...
by Yongxin Xu, Brent Usher
South Africa ABSTRACT: South Africa is the largest gold producer in the world and the fourth largest producer of coal in the world. The 224 million metric tons of coal produced per year directly supports employment for approximately 50,000 ...
by Joseph A. Bailey, II, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Today, Africa is the most tropical of the continents. Exceptions are its extreme North and South and on the...
The Golden Fleece Found! (2007)
by Basil C. Hill
Africa is the oldest surviving landmass and the only continent ...
by Elizabeth Jewell
Europe Albanian Algeria Algiers Africa Algerian Andorra Andorra la Vella Europe Andorran Angola Luanda Africa Angolan Antigua and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Africa
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Africa
Click on an item to view that photo:
Maasai kids and Caterpillar in the background
Photo credit: lydurs
Africa tyras la pelota
Photo credit: emildom75
Photo credit: lydurs
Photo credit: gr33ndata
Uganda - Tanzania - Kenya
Photo credit: YoTuT
Photo credit: liberalmind1012
Photo credit: Banalities
Uganda - Tanzania - Kenya
Photo credit: YoTuT
- Africa safari landscape
A landscape from safari in TSAVO East National Park - Kenya
Photo credit: Adorenomis
- Africa Offline...
Photo credit: floorvan
View more pictures about South Africa.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Africa
Click on an item to play that video:
- Repairing the nation: The Meaning of reparations to Global Africa - Professor Sir Hilary Beckles
Internationally reputed historian, Professor Sir Hilary Beckles, Pro Vice-Chancellor at the University of West Indies and Chairman of the CARICOM Reparations ...
- Finding meaning in a 64-day trip across Africa | Amo Ngoepe | TEDxSoweto
Young traveler Amo Ngoepe tells her story of lessons learnt from a life-changing quest for meaning in a 64-day experience travelling through nine African ...
- Definition of Africa, and AFRICOM.
Africa is huge. One of the biggest land masses on the planet, and according to General Carter Ham, Commander, U.S. Africa Command, understanding how ...
- Countries of Africa - National Flags - Glenn Doman Card - Nursery Rhymes - Vocabulary Flash Card
NurseryDayTV PRESENTS: Glenn Doman Card. Countries of Africa. National Flags. Vocabulary Flash Card. Large reading word cards, single word cards, ...
- Aid Africa Explanation
- Africa Meaning
Video shows what Africa means. A province of the Roman Empire containing what is now modern Tunisia and portions of Libya.. The continent that is south of ...
- Bantu - Vocabulary word for an Ancient Africa unit
A vocabulary word for a freshman world history class.
- Repairing the nation: The Meaning of reparations to Global Africa - Questions and Answers
- Real Talk Africa: The meaning of dedication of life (English)
A talk show series discussing social issues affecting todays youth. Today, the Real Talk African team discusses ''the meaning of dedication of life''.
- Africa gave Royalty to girls-Meaning of Muzvare
- ASC 'The Meaning of Africa' poetry performance
The African Students Community of Groningen (ASC) performed the poem 'The Meaning of Africa' at the Let's Gro festival on 21 November 2013.
- How PITCH:AFRICA Works -- Video-Sketch Explanation at Port of Los Angeles Media Event
PITCH:AFRICA is an innovative rainwater harvesting system designed by ATOPIA RESEARCH to provide clean water on a regular basis where water is scarce ...
- The Story of Jesus - Fang Equatorial Guinea Language (Equatorial Guinea, Africa)
The Story of the Life and Times of Jesus Christ (Son of God). According to the Gospel of Luke. (Equatorial Guinea) Fang Equatorial Guinea Language Version.
- The Language of Africa (Namibia - Nama/Damara)
If you ever been to the southern part of Africa you will maybe have noticed that sometimes you hear a unfamiliar language - here is one of them. This video was ...
- The description of Africa by Leo Africanus (16th century)
Leo Africanus; A Man Between Worlds - BBC...
- Middle East & Africa: Language
Part 2 in the Middle East and Africa series. This episode focuses on the challenges associated with the large number of languages and dialects within the Middle ...
- Major AFRICA FLOOD!! - Burundi 60 Dead 2.11.14 See 'DESCRIPTION'
- Africa language
- Indo European Language has roots in paleolithic Africa
- Africa and the new ethical language
Africa is also living in the age of communications. In this exchange of gifts between Europe and the immense African continent, language and the meaning of ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Africa!
Click on an item to play that video:
- Kenyan Sign Language: South Africa
- HHR africa cameroon L1eng L2 fra H1cm1 cameroon sign language Gen001 001
- HHR africa cameroon L1eng L2cmn H1cm1 cameroon sign language Gen001 001
- Son1 noun HHR africa cameroon L1eng L2frn H1cm1 cameroon sign language CM1
- HHR africa cameroon L1eng L2 fra H1cm1 cameroon sign language Gen001 002
Quotes about Africa
continent of love
continent of caring
continent of women
you held me
you loved me
you saved me
where are you now
where is your support
please tell me it's not gone
we need you (Sally Traore)
more quotes about africa...
Scrabble value of A1F4R1I1C3A1
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AFRICA
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Africa!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Africa to see it in context!