African American Vernacular English
On this page:
- Definition of the noun african american vernacular english
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for African American Vernacular English
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for African American Vernacular English
- Video about African American Vernacular English
- Share this page
Definition of the noun african american vernacular english
What does african american vernacular english mean as a name of something?
- a nonstandard form of American English characteristically spoken by African Americans in the United States
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- synonyms of African American Vernacular English: AAVE / African American English / Black English / Black English Vernacular / Black Vernacular / Black Vernacular English / Ebonics
- more generic terms: American / American English / American language = the English language as used in the United States
Alternative definition of the noun african american vernacular english
- A variation of Modern English spoken predominately by lower socioeconomic class individuals of African descent, usually in urban or suburban surroundings in the United States.
- synonym: Black English
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for African American Vernacular English
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Aspects, Features, and Perspectives by Nathaniel Norment
African American Vernacular English is the spoken language of African Americans. It is a language that is distinct, has rules, and is systematic. AAVE is a result of the cultural and linguistic experiences of Africans in America, and has direct as ...
Origins, Experiences, and Culture by Carole Elizabeth Boyce Davies
African American Vernacular English (AAVE) is an ethnic variety of the language spoken in the United States by many African Americans whose African ancestors were formally colonized in America from the 16th through the 19th centuries.
by Raymond Hickey
Sociocultural and Historical Contextsof African American Vernacular English. Amsterdam: John Benjamins ...
by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa
African American vernacular English (AAVE), also known as Black English vernacular (BEV) and Ebonics, is a dialect familiar to the majority of African Americans. In one sentence, speakers sometimes move back and forth from the Standard ...
by Jessie Carney Smith
evolutionary nomenclatures—Negro speech, Negro English, Negro American dialect, ''bad English,'' African American Vernacular English, Black English, African American English, and Pan African Communication Behaviors, among others.
Encyclopedia of Linguistics (2013)
by Philipp Strazny
African American vernacular English. Malden, MA: Blackwell. Rickford, John Russell, and Russell John Rickford. 2000. Spoken soul: the story of Black English. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Smitherrnan, Geneva.
by Jack C. Richards, Richard W. Schmidt
Tagalog -um- which shows that a verb is in the past tense: sulat “to write” – sumulat “wrote” see also combining form African American English n also AAE, African American Vernacular English (AAVE), Black English (BE), Black English ...
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2008)
by Frederick T. Leong
African American Vernacular English ...
by Michael Pearce
African American Vernacular English (AAVE) The non-standard varieties of English associated with people of African descent in North America, also known as African American English (AAE) and Black English Vernacular (BEV). No definitive ...
Second Edition by John W. Collins, Nancy Patricia O'Brien
African American English/ African American Vernacular English (AAE/ AAVE) Although AAE is the term more common used today, AAVE is still an acceptable term. These acronyms refer to the ...
The resemblances persisted to a great degree throughout the twentieth century, but the same century saw African American Vernacular English (AAVE) diverge some from Southern Vernacular English (SVE) and diverge considerably from ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for African American Vernacular English
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video about African American Vernacular English
African American Vernacular English Meaning
Video shows what African American Vernacular English means. A variation of Modern English spoken predominately by lower socioeconomic class individuals ...
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of African American Vernacular English to find many related words and phrases!