On this page:
Definition of the noun african chameleon
What does african chameleon mean as a name of something?
- a chameleon found in Africa
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- scientific names: Cameleo siculus / species Cameleo siculus / Chamaeleo carinatus / species Chamaeleo carinatus / Chamaeleo chamaeleon / species Chamaeleo chamaeleon / Chamaeleo cinereus / species Chamaeleo cinereus / Chamaeleo parisiensium / species Chamaeleo parisiensium / Chamaeleo saharicus / species Chamaeleo saharicus / Chamaeleo vulgaris / species Chamaeleo vulgaris / Chamaeleon auratus / species Chamaeleon auratus / Chamaeleon chamaeleon / species Chamaeleon chamaeleon / Chamaeleon fasciatus / species Chamaeleon fasciatus / Chamaeleon hispanicus / species Chamaeleon hispanicus / Chamaeleon rimulosus / species Chamaeleon rimulosus / Chamaeleon vulgaris / species Chamaeleon vulgaris / Chameleo vulgaris / species Chameleo vulgaris / Chameleon parisiensis / species Chameleon parisiensis / Chameleon parisientium / species Chameleon parisientium / Lacerta chamaeleon / species Lacerta chamaeleon
- more generic words: chamaeleon / chameleon = lizard of Africa and Madagascar able to change skin color and having a projectile tongue
- member of: Chamaeleo / genus Chamaeleo / genus Chamaeleon = type genus of the Chamaeleontidae
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for African chameleon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Douglas M. Considine, Glenn D. Considine
The African Chameleon may be up to nearly 40 centimeters in length. It ranges from western Africa to Ethiopia and Somalia, where it is subjected to annual climatic changes. Thus, the terrarium keeper must accommodate for such changes. 2.
by Kitto, John
African chameleon, and is that referred to in Lev. 11:30, where unclean animals are mentioned. Chamois. Chamois (Deu. 14:5). Some suppose that the animal meant is.
Lacerta Africana, the African chameleon : colour blackish, with a white stripe on the back ; crown of the head carinate ; toes all connected, but the claws distinct; bottoms of the feet very hard and firm. This, fays Seba, came from the coasts of ...
by Maurice Burton, Robert Burton
One common South African chameleon species has been described as using the head and front feet to dig the hole, pushing the loose soil away with the hind feet. It takes a long time but black. The main body of each melanophore lies The ...
by James Millar
Lacerta AFRICANA, African Chameleon. Specif. Char Colour blackish ; crown carinated. This is one of the largest yet discovered. Along the back to the end of the tail there runs a pure white stripe, bounded by a broad blackish band. The other ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1817)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature ...
LACERTA AFRICANA, African Chameleon. Specif. Char.–Colour blackish ; crown carinated. This is one of the largest yet discovered. Along the back to the end of the tail there runs a pure white stripe, bounded by a broad blackish band.
Encyclopaedia Londinensis (1814)
by John Wilkes
Lacerta Africana, the African chameleon: colour blackish," with asiwhite stripe on the back; crown of the head carinate ; toes all connected, but the claws distinct; bottoms of the feet very hard and firm. This, says Seba, came from the coasts of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for African chameleon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about African chameleon
If you need images about African chameleon for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of African chameleon to find many related words and phrases!