On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun african lily
What does african lily mean as a name of something?
- African plant with bright green evergreen leaves and umbels of many usually deep violet-blue flowers
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Abumon africanum / species Abumon africanum / Agapanthus minor / species Agapanthus minor / Agapanthus tuberosus / species Agapanthus tuberosus / Agapanthus umbellatus / species Agapanthus umbellatus / Agapanthus umbellatus flore-pleno / subspecies Agapanthus umbellatus flore-pleno / Agapanthus umbellatus flore-albo / variety Agapanthus umbellatus flore-albo / Agapanthus umbellatus variegatus / variety Agapanthus umbellatus variegatus / Crinum africanum / species Crinum africanum / Crinum floridum / species Crinum floridum / Mauhlia africana / species Mauhlia africana / Mauhlia linearis / species Mauhlia linearis / Mauhlia umbellata / species Mauhlia umbellata / Tulbaghia africana / species Tulbaghia africana / Tulbaghia africana heisteri / variety Tulbaghia africana heisteri / Tulbaghia heisteri / species Tulbaghia heisteri / Tulbaghia minor / species Tulbaghia minor / Agapanthus africanus
- synonyms of African lily: African tulip / blue African lily
- more generic terms: agapanthus / lily of the Nile = any of various plants of the genus Agapanthus having umbels of showy blue to purple flowers
- member of: genus Agapanthus = small genus of South African evergreen or deciduous plants
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Phrases with African lily
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for African lily
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Christopher Willis, Herbert Kenneth Airy Shaw
(African lily) in gardens. Umbel cymose. Seeds winged. Agapetes G. Don (incl. Paphia Seem. BH.).
by George William Johnson
AFRICAN LILY. Agnpanthus. AFRICAN MARIGOLD. fl'agetes Erecta. A GAPANTHU S. African Lily. Three species.
by Briceida Ryan
African lily Someone will attempt to pull you into an involvement before you are ready. Follow your instincts and go for this relationship ...
by Philip Miller
African Lily. Hexandria Monogynia, Linnaeus ; Hemerocallidea, Jussieu. Calyx a common sheath gaping at the side ; corolla one-petalled, funnel-shaped, regular, tube cornered, as if composed of six claws ; border six parted ; parts oblong, ...
by Christopher Brickell
African lily. See Agapanth us african us. African marigold. See Ta getes erecta. African red alder. See Cunonia capensis. African violet. See Saintpaulia.
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature, and Companion to the Encyclopaedia Britannica
Narcissus ; Mexican lily, Hippeostrum regina; African lily, Aga- panthus vmbellatus; Persian lily, Fritil- Itiria persica; St. Bruno's lily, An- thericum liUastrum ; Trumpet, Nile, Easter lily, or Calla lily, Richardia aihiopi- ca ; besides pond or water ...
by George Ripley, Charles Anderson Dana
and blue African lily (agapanthu*) represent another section of liliaceous plants; ...
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
Small African Lily umbellatus. Blue African Lily umbellatus var. albus. White African Uly Agaricus arvensis. Champillion, Cheese- room, Flaps, Horse-mushroom, Mushroom Snow-ball Csesareus.
The Encyclopaedic Dictionary (1896)
A New, Original and Exhaustive Work of Reference to All English Words, Their Origin, Development, Orthography, Pronunciation, Meaning and Legitimate Or Customary Use ... by Robert Hunter
The African lily is Agapanthus umbellatus; the Barbadoes lily, Hippeastrum equestre; the Belladonna lily, Amaryllis Belladonna Belladonna purpurascens); the Blackberry ly, Pardanthus chinensis (American); the Brisbane lily, Eurycled ...
A New and Original Work Presenting for Convenient Reference the Orthography, Pronunciation, Meaning, Use, Origin and Development of Every Word in the English Language Together with Condensed Explanations of Fifty Thousand Important Subjects and an Exhaustive Encyclopaedia of All the Arts and Sciences Profusely Illustrated by Robert Hunter, Charles Morris
The African lily is Agapanthus umbellatus; the Barbadoes lily, Hippeastrum equestre; the Belladonna lily, Amaryllis Belladonna (Belladonna purpurascens); the Blackberry lily, Pardanthus chinensis (American); the Brisbane lily, Euryclect ...
The Gardeners' Dictionary, Describing the Plants, Fruits, and Vegetables Desirable for the Garden and Explaining the Terms and Operations Employed in Their Cultivation (1875)
Tar chona'n thus* African Lily.
The Gardeners' Dictionary (1886)
Enumerating the Plants, Fruits, and Vegetables Desirable for the Garden and Explaining the Terms and Operations Employed in Their Cultivations by George W. Johnson
African Lily. Ayapa'nthus. African Marigold. Tageies ere'eta. Afze'lia. (In honour of Dr. A.
by Cottage gardener
Tarchona'nthiu* African Lily. Agapa'ntUus. African Marigold. Tage'tes erc'eta ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for African lily
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about African lily
Click on an item to view that photo:
- African lily
Photo credit: Infomastern
- African lily
Photo credit: Biology Open Educational Resources
- African Lily
Shot at lalbagh Botanical Gardens , Bangalore
Photo credit: Swami Stream
- Agapanthus (African Lily)
Exotic-looking summer feature plant with imposing heads of blue or sometimes white flowers on tall stalks rising above glossy, strap-shaped leaves.
Photo credit: peaceman494
- Agapanthus (African Lily)
Photo credit: flamesworddragon
- Agapanthus (The African Lily)
The name agapanthus is derived from the Greek 'agape', meaning love, and 'anthos', flower. The plants are native to South Africa and were brought back to Europe in the seventeenth century by the first European settlers when they stopped in the cape to replenish their supplies. Agapanthus africanus was first introduced to Europe in 1679. Its origins in the cooler temperatures of the Western Cape, made it an ideal candidate for exporting.
Photo credit: silverfox09
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about African lily
African lily Meaning
Video shows what African lily means. Any of certain flowering plants of the genus Agapanthus, especially .. African lily Meaning. How to pronounce, definition ...
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of African lily to find many related words and phrases!