On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun african marigold
What does african marigold mean as a name of something?
- a stout branching annual with large yellow to orange flower heads; Mexico and Central America
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific names: Tagetes erecta erecta / variety Tagetes erecta erecta / Tagetes ernstii / species Tagetes ernstii / Tagetes excelsa / species Tagetes excelsa / Tagetes heterocarpha / species Tagetes heterocarpha / Tagetes major / species Tagetes major / Tagetes remotiflora / species Tagetes remotiflora / Tagetes tenuifolia / species Tagetes tenuifolia / Tagetes erecta
- synonyms of African marigold: Aztec marigold / big marigold
- more generic word: marigold = any of various tropical American plants of the genus Tagetes widely cultivated for their showy yellow or orange flowers
- geographic area: Caribbean, North America
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for African marigold
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
From Acacia to Zinnia by Christopher Cumo
The African marigold has yellow flowers, grows to a height of two to two-and-one- half feet, and bears a large flower. The leaves are fragrant, though some people dislike the odor. In the 18th century, British author William Hanbury wrote of the ...
by Thomas H. Everett
— African Marigold, French Marigold.
The Universal Gardener and Botanist: Or, A General Dictionary of Gardening and Botany ... The Second Edition. Carefully Revised ... and Very Much Enlarged, Etc (1797)
by Thomas MAWE (and ABERCROMBIE (John) Horticulturist.)
apple Mallow - Mallow, rose - Mallow, Indian Mallow, tree - Mallow, Syrian - Mammee-sapota Mammee-tree - Mandrake - Mangostan - Mango tree - Manihot rManna ash - Maple-tree - Marigold - Marigold, African Marigold, French Marigold , ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1883)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature by Thomas Spencer Baynes
the African marigold ; T. patula, L., the French marigold ; and Chrysantlwmum segetum, the ...
by George William Johnson
AFRICAN MARIGOLD. fl'agetes Erecta. A GAPANTHU S. African Lily. Three species. Nearly hardy bulbs. Common soil. Offsets. AGASTACHYS odorata. GreenLoam, peat, and sand. AGATHIEA. Two species. Greenhouse evcrgreen shrubs.
Applied in England and Among English-speaking People to Cultivated and Wild Plants, Trees, and Shrubs by William Miller
African Marigold lucida.
by Cuthbert William Johnson
See African Marigold. MARIGOLD, The MARSH. See Marsh Marigold. MARJORAM. (Origanum, from oros, a mountain, and ganos, joy ; the delight of the mountain, in allusion to the habitation of the plants.) A genus of well-known pungent and ...
by Frances Tenenbaum
African Marigold, American Marigold. A Central American, not African, species with pinnate leaves on 1V2- to 3-foot-tall plants. Bears showy, carnation-like, double flowers that are 4 to 5 inches across, in shades of yellow, gold, and orange.
a reference system of commercial horticulture, covering the practical and scientific phases of horticulture, with special reference to fruits and vegetables by William Worthington
The French marigold, which is the most compact and regular in growth, and consequently the most valuable as a bedding or a border plant, has been developed from Tagetes patula, while the African marigold, which is of a more spreading ...
A Complete Dictionary of Practical Gardening: comprehending all the modern improvements in the art ... with correct engravings ... from original drawings by Sydenham Edwards (1807)
by Alexander MACDONALD (pseud. [i.e. R. W. Dickson.])
Ash Maple Tree Marigold Marigold, African Marigold, Corn Marigold, Fig Marigold, French Marjoram, Common Sweet Marjoram, Pot Marjoram, Wild Marjoram, Winter Marsh Elder Marsh Mallow Marsh Marigold Martagon Lily Marum Marun, ...
The popular encyclopedia; or, 'Conversations Lexicon': [ed. by A. Whitelaw from the Encyclopedia Americana]. (1884)
by Popular encyclopedia
The African marigold is said to ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for African marigold
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about African marigold
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of African marigold to find many related words and phrases!