On this page:
- Definition of the adjective afro-american
- Definition of the noun afro-american
- Phrases with Afro-American
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afro-American
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afro-American
- Photos about Afro-American
- Video about Afro-American
- Quotes about Afro-American
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective afro-american
What does afro-american mean as an attribute of a noun?
- pertaining to or characteristic of Americans of African ancestry
Alternative definition of the adjective afro-american
- Of African American heritage or culture
- synonym: African-American
Definition of the noun afro-american
What does afro-american mean as a name of something?
- A resident of the United States who is of African heritage.
- synonym: African-American
"Afro-American" a.k.a. "Symphony No. 1" in A-flat, "Afro-American" by William Grant Still was the first symphony written by an African American and performed for a United States audience by a leading orchestra. It was premiered in 1931 by the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. It is a symphonic piece for full orchestra, including celeste, harp, and tenor banjo. It combines a fairly traditional symphonic form with blues progressions and rhythms that were characteristic of popular African-American music at the time. This combination expressed Still's integration of black culture into the classical forms. Still used quotes from four dialect poems by early 20th-century African-American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar as epigraphs for each symphonic movement.
- read more about Symphony No. 1
- Afro-American a.k.a. African American: African Americans, also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans, is an ethnic group of citizens or residents of the United States with total or partial ancestry from any of the native populations of Sub-Saharan Africa. The term may also be used to include only those individuals who are descended from African slaves. As a compound adjective, the term is usually hyphenated as African-American.
- read more about African American
- Afro-American a.k.a. The Baltimore Afro-American, commonly known as The Afro, is a weekly newspaper published in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. It is the flagship newspaper of the Afro-American chain and the longest-running African-American family-owned newspaper in the United States.
- read more about Baltimore Afro-American
Phrases with Afro-American
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afro-American
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Black Music and Musicians in The New Grove Dictionary of American Music and The New Harvard Dictionary of Music (1989)
by Dominique-René De Lerma, Marsha J. Reisser
Subjects Entry Africa HDM Afro-American music Grove HDM Afro-Cuban Grove HDM Afro-Cuban music HDM Afterbeat HDM Atabal HDM Atabaque HDM Avant- garde jazz Grove Backbeat HDM Bagana, beganna HDM Baile de palos HDM ...
Volume 23: Folk Art by Carol Crown, Cheryl Rivers, Charles Reagan Wilson
Afro-American Folk Arts and Crafts (1983); Gladys- Marie ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afro-American
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afro-American
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Afro-American
Video shows what Afro-American means. A native or resident of the United States (an American) who is of African heritage.. Afro-American synonyms: ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Afro-American!
Quotes about Afro-American
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afro-American to see it in context!