On this page:
- Definition of the adjective afro-american
- Definition of the noun afro-american
- Phrases with Afro-American
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afro-American
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afro-American
- Photos about Afro-American
- Video about Afro-American
- Quotes about Afro-American
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective afro-american
What does afro-american mean as an attribute of a noun?
- pertaining to or characteristic of Americans of African ancestry
Alternative definition of the adjective afro-american
- Of African American heritage or culture
- synonym: African-American
Definition of the noun afro-american
What does afro-american mean as a name of something?
- A resident of the United States who is of African heritage.
- synonym: African-American
"Afro-American" a.k.a. "Symphony No. 1" in A-flat, "Afro-American" by William Grant Still was the first symphony written by an African American and performed for a United States audience by a leading orchestra. It was premiered in 1931 by the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. It is a symphonic piece for full orchestra, including celeste, harp, and tenor banjo. It combines a fairly traditional symphonic form with blues progressions and rhythms that were characteristic of popular African-American music at the time. This combination expressed Still's integration of black culture into the classical forms. Still used quotes from four dialect poems by early 20th-century African-American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar as epigraphs for each symphonic movement.
- read more about Symphony No. 1
- Afro-American a.k.a. African American: African Americans, also referred to as Black Americans or Afro-Americans, is an ethnic group of citizens or residents of the United States with total or partial ancestry from any of the native populations of Sub-Saharan Africa. The term may also be used to include only those individuals who are descended from African slaves. As a compound adjective, the term is usually hyphenated as African-American.
- read more about African American
- Afro-American a.k.a. The Baltimore Afro-American, commonly known as The Afro, is a weekly newspaper published in Baltimore, Maryland, USA. It is the flagship newspaper of the Afro-American chain and the longest-running African-American family-owned newspaper in the United States.
- read more about Baltimore Afro-American
Phrases with Afro-American
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afro-American
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Afro-American Encyclopaedia (1895)
Or, the Thoughts, Doings, and Sayings of the Race, Embracing Addresses, Lectures, Biographical Sketches, Sermons, Poems, Names of Universities, Colleges, Seminaries, Newspapers, Books, and a History of the Denominations, Giving the Numerical Strength of Each. In Fact, it Teaches Every Subject of Interest to the Colored People, as Discussed by More Than One Hundred of Their Wisest and Best Men and Women
The Afro-American Presbyterian . . . . . . . . . Weekly.
Black Music and Musicians in The New Grove Dictionary of American Music and The New Harvard Dictionary of Music (1989)
by Dominique-René De Lerma, Marsha J. Reisser
Subjects Entry Africa HDM Afro-American music Grove HDM Afro-Cuban Grove HDM Afro-Cuban music HDM Afterbeat HDM Atabal HDM Atabaque HDM Avant- garde jazz Grove Backbeat HDM Bagana, beganna HDM Baile de palos HDM ...
Volume 21: Art and Architecture by Judith H. Bonner, Estill Curtis Pennington
Theresa Dickson Cederholm, Afro-American Artists: A Bibliographical Directory (1973); ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afro-American
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afro-American
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Afro-American
Video shows what Afro-American means. A native or resident of the United States (an American) who is of African heritage.. Afro-American synonyms: ...
See also the pronunciation examples of Afro-American!
Quotes about Afro-American
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afro-American to see it in context!