On this page:
Definition of the noun afro-asiatic
What does afro-asiatic mean as a name of something?
- a large family of related languages spoken both in Asia and Africa
- lexical domain: Communicative Processes - nouns denoting communicative processes and contents
- alternative spelling: Afroasiatic
- synonyms of Afro-Asiatic: Afrasian / Afrasian language / Afroasiatic language / Hamito-Semitic
- more generic terms: natural language / tongue = a human written or spoken language used by a community
- more specific terms:
- Chadic language / Chadic / Chad = a family of Afroasiatic tonal languages (mostly two tones) spoken in the regions west and south of Lake Chad in north central Africa
- Semitic = a major branch of the Afro-Asiatic language family
- Hamitic language / Hamitic = a group of languages in northern Africa related to Semitic
- Egyptian = the ancient and now extinct language of Egypt under the Pharaohs
- Berber = a cluster of related dialects that were once the major language of northern Africa west of Egypt
- Cushitic = a group of languages spoken in Ethiopia and Somalia and northwestern Kenya and adjacent regions
- Omotic = a group of related languages spoken in a valley of southern Ethiopia
Definition of the adjective afro-asiatic
What does afro-asiatic mean as an attribute of a noun?
- Of, pertaining to, or being a language family spoken in northern Africa and southwest Asia, and including Semitic, Egyptian, Berber, Omotic, Cushitic, and Chadic languages.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afro-Asiatic
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Lawrence Trask
AFRO-ASIATIC just four proposed families: Afro-Asiatic, Niger-Congo (or Niger- Kordofanian), Nilo-Saharan and Khoisan. Of these the first two are generally regarded as secure, the third is controversial, and the fourth is regarded with great ...
by Jean-Paul Kouega
Geographically, Afro-Asiatic languages are spoken in the area stretching from northern ...
by Kirsten Malmkjaer
Languages of Africa The number of distinct languages spoken throughout Africa is estimated at about 1,000, all of which belong to one of the four language families: Afro-Asiatic, Niger-Kordofanian, Nilo-Saharan and Khoisan. Afro-Asiatic ...
World History Encyclopedia (2011)
by Alfred J. Andrea, Kevin McGeough, William E. Mierse, Mark Aldenderfer, Carolyn Neel
The largest language families, ranked in terms of numbers of speakers, are Indo- European, Sino- Tibetan, Niger-Congo, Afro-Asiatic, and Austro- nesian. Indo- European is the predominant language family in Europe and West and South Asia.
by Sin-Wai Chan
[Afro-Asiatic] Arabic (Algeria), Arabic (Bahrain), Arabic (Egypt), Arabic (Iraq), Arabic (Jordan), Arabic (Kuwait), Arabic (Lebanon), Arabic (Libya), Arabic ( Morocco), Arabic (Oman), Arabic (Qatar), Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Arabic (Syria), Arabic ...
by P.H. Matthews
*Afro-Asiatic, across North Africa, the Sahara, and the adjacent Near East, includes, as its largest member, *Arabic. A *Khoisan group consists of a minority towards the southern tip of the continent. 'Nilo-Sa haran' represents a speculative ...
by Facts On File, Incorporated
to present ancestry: Egyptian language: Coptic (Afro-Asiatic) (largely extinct); Arabic (Afro-Asiatic)b c.e. ca. 40 Christianity established in Egypt. 100s Coptic language. thought to have been among the ...
Third Revised Edition by Gregorio del Olmo Lete, Joaquín Sanmartín
like = separation of morphemes into transcribed segments II Linguistic Terminology AA Afro-Asiatic abs. absolute state abstr. abstract acc. accusative act. active adj. adjective ad loc. ad locum admin. administration, administrative adv. adverb ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afro-Asiatic
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Video language resources about Afro-Asiatic
Click on an item to play that video:
- Afro-Asiatic Meaning
Video shows what Afro-Asiatic means. Of, pertaining to, or being a language family spoken in northern Africa and southwest Asia, and including Semitic, ...
- Afro-Asiatic Language Family
Afro-Asiatic Peoples and Languages. The language family that includes North African and Middle Eastern languages from Ancient Egyptian & Babylonian to ...
- TA-SETI'AN THE AFRICAN ORIGINS OF THE SOCALLED AFRO-ASIATIC LANGUAGE - YouTube
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Afro-Asiatic to find many related words and phrases!