On this page:
- Definition of the noun afterburner
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afterburner
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afterburner
- Photos about Afterburner
- Videos about Afterburner
- Scrabble value of A1F4T1E1R1B3U1R1N1E1R1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun afterburner
What does afterburner mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: afterburners
- a device that injects fuel into a hot exhaust for extra thrust
- lexical domain: Artifacts - nouns denoting man-made objects
- more generic word: device = an instrumentality invented for a particular purpose
- part of: fan-jet / fanjet / fanjet engine / turbofan / turbofan engine / turbojet / turbojet engine = a jet engine in which a fan driven by a turbine provides extra air to the burner and gives extra thrust
Afterburner is a roller coaster at Fun Spot Amusement Park & Zoo in Angola, Indiana. It was the only operating roller coaster with an inversion in the state of Indiana until 2008 when Steel Hawg opened at Indiana Beach. It is also notable for formerly using an elevator to transport passengers to the loading platform. Afterburner is the original prototype of Arrow's "Launched Loop" shuttle coaster.
Who is Afterburner?
Afterburner a.k.a. Rob Turner is an actor.
- read more about Rob Turner (actor)
- "Afterburner" is the ninth studio album by the American blues rock band ZZ Top, released in 1985. Afterburner was a financial success, going several times platinum and launching several hit singles, the most successful of which was "Sleeping Bag" which peaked at No. 1 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks and at No. 8 on the Billboard Hot 100.
- "Afterburner" is a musical album of Sinister.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "Afterburner" is a musical album of Seismic Anamoly.
- released on (11 years ago)
- "Afterburner" is a composition.
- music by Psidream
"Afterburner" is a book by John Darrell Sherwood.
- also known as "Afterburner: naval aviators and the Vietnam War"
- subjects: Warfare, Vietnam, United States of America, Vietnam War, Military branch, History
- Afterburner: L'Afterburner, vendue sous la dénomitation Fireball aux États-Unis, est une attraction de type pendule, principalement utilisé dans les parcs d'attractions et les fêtes foraines et conçue par KMG.
- The Afterburner lighting kit by Triton Labs is an aftermarket modification to the Game Boy Advance in which a frontlight is installed into the unit.
- Afterburner is the name of several fictional characters in the various Transformers universes.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Afterburner
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Stanley Marianski, Adam Marianski, Robert Marianski
Afterburner is a secondary combustion heating device which creates high enough temperatures to burn most smoke components that would normally...
Afterburner is an effective device but energy hungry which makes it costly to operate. 2.
AIRCRAFT PROPULSION (2016)
by MAYUR R ANVEKAR
afterburner and water injection. Afterburner Afterburner is a thrust augmenting system attached at the end of the main engine to produce additional thrust. It is an extended part or additional section of ...
Applications in Environmental Engineering, Fourth Edition by Walter R. Niessen
An afterburner is an appropriate cleanup stage with ...
The Decontamination Furnace exhaust has the capability of being ducted into the afterburner. (3) Afterburner. The Afterburner is an oil fired horizontal cylindrical furnace which accomplishes second stage incineration of gas phase materials ...
by Ahmed F. El-Sayed
Afterburner The afterburner is a second combustion ...
The Michigan Technic (1952)
The afterburner is a thrust augmentation unit for jet engines to give the engine more thrust in take-off, climb and combat emergencies. An additional cone is added after the turbine where more fuel is injected into the exhaust gases of the ...
by Ranjan Vepa
The afterburner is a subsystem that is ...
by Kathleen Elliott, David Ebner, Carmen Geraci
An afterburner is a tube placed between the turbine and the rear exhaust nozzle where additional fuel is added to the flow and ignited to provide increased thrust. However, afterburners greatly increase fuel consumption, so they can be used ...
by Sunggyu Lee
Measurements were made of the VAE surface temperature, both with and without an afterburner plume intervening between the surface and detection optics. The VAE was water-cooled, consequently, its temperature was rather low, typically ...
by Alireza Bahadori, Scott T. Smith
Afterburner. An air pollution abatement device that removes undesirable organic gases through incineration. In incinerator technology, a burner located so that the combustion gases are made to pass through its flame in order to remove ...
by Jay H. Lehr, Jack Keeley
Afterburner Fuel Air FIGURE 51.12 Indirect integrated system of a solid oxide fuel cell and a gas turbine. WaterVaporizer Steam Compressor FIGURE 51.14 A pressurized SOFC–GT hybrid system. SOFC Generator Compressor Exhaust gas ...
Dictionary of Ecodesign (2010)
An Illustrated Reference by Ken Yeang, Lillian Woo
Afterburner. Device that controls air pollution by incinerating organic compounds into carbon dioxide and water. At the same time, the energy consumption and impacts of carbon dioxide emissions are serious considerations in using ...
by Tony Atkins, Marcel Escudier
afterburner An extension of the exhaust of a turbofan or turbojet engine into which additional fuel is injected and burned to provide increased thrust. Primarily used on supersonic military aircraft. See also REHEAT .
by Joseph Angelo
afterburner A device used for increasing the thrust of a jet engine by burning additional fuelinthe uncombinedoxygen present inthe turbine exhaustgases. afterburning 1.In rocketry, the characteristic of some rocket ...
Dictionary of Energy (2014)
by Cutler J. Cleveland, Christopher G. Morris
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
afterburner Second combustion chamber in a -turbojet or tur- bofan engine, immediately in front of the engine's exhaust nozzle. The injection and combustion of extra ...
by John F. Mongillo, Linda Zierdt-Warshaw
Agent Orange afterburner, An AIR POLLUTION instrument used in industrial incinerators and some jet engines. The afterburner injects FUEL into incinerator or engine exhausts to increase the combustion efficiency and decrease the amount of ...
by C. C. Lee
Afterburner: (l) Afterburner is also known as the secondary burner. it is a control device in which materials in gaseous effluent are combusted (40CFR52.74l-9l). There are two types of afierbumers, namely: (a) Direct flame afierbumers, which ...
The Water Dictionary (2010)
A Comprehensive Reference of Water Terminology by Nancy E. McTigue, James M. Symons
An afterburner can be used following an incinerator to convert undesirable gaseous by-products of the incineration process, such as carbon monoxide (CO) and hydrocarbons (CxHy), to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water. aftergrowth An ...
by James R. Pfafflin, Edward N. Ziegler
EMISSION CONTROL DEVICES Additional Combustion An afterburner is an additional baffled tubular reactor in which the gases are reignited and burned to completion. An air pump provides the necessary oxygen-rich mixture and the heat of ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
afterburner Second combustion chamber ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Afterburner
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Afterburner
Click on an item to view that photo:
Fighter Jet from USA travelling at 2 times the speed of sound when this pic was taken
Photo credit: lifecreations
They rocked out at the Zenith Bar.
Photo credit: celesteh
Thrusting the Super Hornet, Super Sonic!
Photo credit: Jamourous
Photo credit: Paul Kehrer
Photo credit: NaturEscapes Photography
Photo credit: Anamorphic Mike
A fiery sunset
Photo credit: Neillwphoto
- F-16 Afterburner section
Photo credit: marksontok
- Unite Warriors Afterburner
Photo credit: Pete Slater
- Afterburner - SOOC
this kicks asses.... :P
Photo credit: MAGIC PASSION * PHOTOGRAPHY *
- Spanish Hornet full afterburner!!!
Photo credit: FlickrdeChato
- Fiery Afterburner
Photo credit: Paul Kehrer
- BBQ Afterburner
This one ended up looking like a fighter jet's afterburner.
Photo credit: jromie0924
- Afterburner stage
Photo credit: devioustree
- Diving Afterburner
Photo credit: PJ Nelson
- Afterburner stage
Photo credit: devioustree
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Afterburner
Click on an item to play that video:
- Afterburner Meaning
Video shows what afterburner means. A device in the engine of an aircraft which injects fuel into the exhaust system to increase the thrust.. Afterburner Meaning.
- MSI Afterburner Tutorial and Explanation (HD, Commentary) V3.0.1 ~ 2014
MSI Afterburner is a helpful ultility especially for overclocking graphics and checking detailed graphs and history of your graphics and other things on your ...
- FARTERS Definition Afterburner
- MSI AFTERBURNER PROPLEM (DESCRIPTION)
See also the pronunciation examples of Afterburner!
Scrabble value of A1F4T1E1R1B3U1R1N1E1R1
The value of this 11-letter word is 16 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Afterburner to see it in context!