On this page:
- Definition of the noun agar
- Phrases with Agar
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agar
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agar
- Photos about Agar
- Videos about Agar
- Sign language
- Quotes about Agar
- Scrabble value of A1G2A1R1
- Anagrams of AGAR
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun agar
What does agar mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: agars
- any culture medium that uses agar as the gelling agent
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of agar: nutrient agar
- more generic terms: culture medium / medium = a nutrient substance (solid or liquid) that is used to cultivate micro-organisms
- more specific term: blood agar = a culture medium containing whole blood as the nutrient
- substance: agar-agar = a colloidal extract of algae
- a colloidal extract of algae; used especially in culture media and as a gelling agent in foods
Alternative definition of the noun agar
- A gelatinous material obtained from the marine algae, used as a bacterial culture medium, in electrophoresis and as a food additive.
- synonym: agal-agal
- [chemistry] An agarose, the principle constituent of the commercial gel.
- synonym: agar-agar
Agar or agar-agar is a gelatinous substance, obtained from algae and discovered in the late 1650s or early 1660s by Minoya Tarozaemon in Japan, where it is called kanten.
- also known as agar agar, Ceylon, Oxoid L 11, Oxoid III, Bacto-agar, Japan agar, NCI-C50475, Bengal gelatin, Kantenmatsu, Digenea simplex mucilage, Bengal ising glass, Chinese ising glass, gum agar, GAM medium, Gelose, Ceylon ising glass, S 100, Layor caran
Agar is a fictional character from the 1964 film Hercules vs. the Moon Men.
- Agar is a small town in Sully County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 76 as of the 2010 census. It functioned as a combined farm/ranch service center and small resort town as of 2010, its centennial year.
- Agar a.k.a. Ulawa Airport is an airport in Arona on Ulawa Island in the Solomon Islands.
- also known as 烏拉瓦機場
There are other places with in their name, like Agar's Island.
- Agar a.k.a. Agarwood, also known as oud, oodh or agar, is a dark resinous heartwood that forms in Aquilaria and Gyrinops trees when they become infected with a type of mould. Prior to infection, the heartwood is relatively light and pale coloured; however, as the infection progresses, the tree produces a dark aromatic resin in response to the attack, which results in a very dense, dark, resin embedded heartwood. The resin embedded wood is commonly called gaharu, jinko, aloeswood, agarwood, or oud and is valued in many cultures for its distinctive fragrance, and thus is used for incense and perfumes.
- read more about Agarwood
- agaR is a gene.
- Agar is a set of cross-platform libraries written in C/C++/Ada for graphical applications. The main library of the distribution is a widget toolkit, Agar-GUI. Agar is open source, released under a revised BSD license.
- license: BSD Licenses
- official website: libagar.org
- agaR is a genomic locus.
- Agar is a website.
- official website: stateofillinois.us/people/Agar
- Agar a.k.a. Dinka, South Central Language is an human language.
- read more about Dinka, South Central Language
Phrases with Agar
Phrases starting with the word Agar:
Phrases ending with the word Agar:
- blood agar
- Appias Agar
- Melitaea Agar
- nutrient agar
- Melitaea Agar Agar
- Species Appias Agar
- Violet Red Bile Agar
- Species Melitaea Agar
- Subspecies Melitaea Agar Agar
Other phrases containing the word Agar:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agar
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Basics and Routine Techniques by Mary Louise Turgeon
Chocolate agar is an enrichment medium that promotes the growth of fastidious bacteria. Chocolate agar is prepared...
agar is a selective and differential medium used to recover gram-positive bacteria .
by Connie R. Mahon, Donald C. Lehman, George Manuselis Jr.
BLOOD AGAR, ANAEROBIC, CDC* CDC anaerobic blood agar is an enrichment medium useful for the isolation of...
BRUCELLA BASE, WADSWORTH Wadsworth Brucella base anaerobic blood agar is a useful enrichment medium for the ...
by Michael J. Leboffe, Burton E. Pierce
Agar is a selective medium originally used for the isolation of Salmonella and many...
by Lakshman Samaranayake
agar is a non-selective medium C viral transport media are laced with antibiotics D Löwenstein–Jensen medium has malachite green as the selective agent E mitis salivarius agar is the preferred medium for isolating staphylococci 6.3 Match ...
Nutrient agar is a common laboratory medium used for growth of many bacterial species. It is important to note that not a single media is suitable for growth of all microorganisms. Common ingredients of media : 1. Water : Tap, pure or distilled ...
Fundamentals and Applications by Tanja Wuestenberg
Chemical Structure Agar is a heterogeneous polysaccharide composed of the monomeric substances D-galactose and (3®6)-anhydro-L-galactose (Table 1.1). The main component, which is responsible for the strong gelling ability, ...
by CTI Reviews
MacConkey agar is a culture medium designed to grow Gramnegative bacteria and differentiate them for lactose fermentation. Mannitol salt agar is a commonly used growth medium in microbiology. It encourages the growth of a group of ...
by A.S. Naidu
Agar is a hydrophilic colloid extracted from certain marine algae of the class Rhodophyceae. It is insoluble in cold water but soluble in boiling water. A hot aqueous 1 .5% solution is clear, and when cooled to 32-39°C forms a firm, resilient gel ...
Introductory Microbiology (1996)
by J. Heritage, E. G. V. Evans, R. A. Killington
Agar is an inexpensive polysaccharide, obtained from certain seaweeds. In solution it can form agel, and it...
Materials in Dentistry (2001)
Principles and Applications by Jack L. Ferracane
Agar (Reversible Hydrocolloid) Agar is a reversible hydrocolloid because the physical state of the material can be changed back and forth between a liquid sol and a rubbery gel simply by altering temperature. Agar is an accurate impression ...
by Elmer W. Koneman
SS agar is a highly selective medium formulated to inhibit the growth of most coliform organisms and permit the growth of...
by Roy E. Martin, Emily Paine Carter, George J. Flick, Jr., Lynn M. Davis
Agar is a gelling hydrocolloid obtained by extraction with water or alkali of certain species of red algae. It is a linear hydrocolloid (galactan), consisting primarily of alternating D-galactose and L-3,6-anhydrogalactose monomers, with a ...
Annie Biotica Solves Skin Disease Crimes by Michelle Faulk
Agar is a mixture of sugars and red algae harvested from places like Asia and California. It feels like a firm jelly. This gives the microbes a place to sit and food to eat. After twenty-four hours, enough bacteria had grown to . perform the rapid test ...
by Subhash Chandra Parija
Agar is the main component that is used universally for preparation of solid media. It is obtained from a variety of sea weeds and after necessary processing is usually available as powder or as long shreds. Agar is chiefly composed of: ...
by Casey Albert Wood
The growth of the bacillus is very easily affected even upon hemoglobin-agar, upon which it grows best. Upon freshly-made hemoglobin- agar it will not ...
by Jeffrey B. Harborne, Herbert Baxter
Agar consists of 3,6-anhydro-L-galactose and D-galactose units linked in a polysaccharide structure. It is extracted and then purified from the harvested seaweed. Agar has the special property of forming a gel in 1% solution and is widely used ...
by Robert S. Igoe
Agar 5 Acidulants Acids used in processed foods for a variety of functions that enhance the food. They are used as flavoring agents, preservatives in microbial control, chelating agents, buffers, gelling and coagulating agents, and in many ...
by OECD: Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development
– AGAR/AGAR Fish and seafoods preserved in acidified brine or jelly with or without spices or other flavouring agents; in certain instances, salt is not essential . Marketed semi-preserved also with other food additives. See also + MARINADE, ...
by Caroline Wormeley Latimer
Important Cultural Characteristics Gelatin is rapidly liquefied, and the medium becomes green, agar growth is moist and the entire medium turns green, bouillon is clouded and green, and milk is coagulated and the casein precipitated and ...
Abeyta–Hunt–Bark or modified Campylobacter blood-free agar (37– 42 1C, 24– 48 h) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agar
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agar
Click on an item to view that photo:
If the gar, here, means the fish, then it could grow to a pretty good size.
Photo credit: danbuck57313
Photo credit: yellow book
- Iced agar
Photo credit: matsuyuki
- Agar, India
Photo credit: Colin Tsoi
- Dive Agar Beach
Photo credit: adityapatawari
- Dive Agar Beach Sand Pattern
Photo credit: adityapatawari
- Agar Caviar
Photo credit: martinlehnberg
- Agar Fort, Agar, India
Photo credit: Colin Tsoi
- Dive agar
Photo credit: Aniket Thakur
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Agar
Click on an item to play that video:
- Agar Meaning
Video shows what agar means. A gelatinous material obtained from the marine algae, used as a bacterial culture medium, in electrophoresis and as a food ...
- Agar.io Online - Channel Explanation
- Agar Nai Mil Jaye/Bundelkhandi Double Meaning Song - Gafur Khan
Visit us at...
- What is Agar.io the meaning
Alot of people are playing Agar.io, but what is this game really? Find out the meaning of what is Agar.io in this video. Enjoy!
- Agar.io Official Mobile Game (Download Link in Explanation)
- Agar.io Explanation
- Agar.io ---- From Explanation To Conquering! :D
- Agar.io mobile android gameplay ( Download Link in Explanation)
- Gaming Channel Explanation + Agar Gameplay
- Explanation! (Agar.io Gameplay)
- Agar.io gameplay | Explanation :)
- An explanation (agar.io)
- The definition of BAD IN AGAR.IO #2
- Agar.io description
Les explication de agar.io sur ordinateur.
- Agar.io: Very addicting game on Mobile. * READ DESCRIPTION*
- How to play agar.io on mobile DESCRIPTION
Steps 1.Go on agar.io (duh) 2.make a blob 3.Tap repeatedly to move 4.to split tap the Button in the top right 5.ENJOY.
View more videos about Violet Red Bile Agar.
See also the pronunciation examples of Agar!
Pouring Agar Plates in American Sign Language
Dan Burton at Gallaudet shows you how to pour agar plates.
Quotes about Agar
Scrabble value of A1G2A1R1
The value of this 4-letter word is 5 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AGAR
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Agar!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Agar to see it in context!