On this page:
Definition of the noun agave family
What does agave family mean as a name of something?
- chiefly tropical and xerophytic plants: includes Dracenaceae (Dracaenaceae); comprises plants that in some classifications are divided between the Amaryllidaceae and the Liliaceae
- lexical domain: Plants - nouns denoting plants
- scientific name: Agavaceae
- synonyms of agave family: family Agavaceae / sisal family
- more generic term: liliid monocot family = family of monocotyledonous plants of the subclass Liliidae
- member of: Liliales / order Liliales = an order of monocotyledonous plants including Amaryllidaceae and Liliaceae and Iridaceae
- American aloe / century plant / agave = tropical American plants with basal rosettes of fibrous sword-shaped leaves and flowers in tall spikes
- genus Agave = type genus of the Agavaceae
- genus Cordyline / Cordyline = Asiatic and Pacific trees or shrubs
- subfamily Dracaenaceae / subfamily Dracenaceae / Dracaenaceae / Dracenaceae = one of two subfamilies to which some classification systems assign some members of the Agavaceae
- genus Dracaena = Old World tropical plants with branches ending in tufts of sword-shaped leaves
- genus Nolina / Nolina = perennial plants resembling yucca
- genus Polianthes / Polianthes = genus of perennial tuberous herbs having lily-like flowers; Mexico
- genus Sansevieria = Old World tropical herbaceous perennial of the agave family
- genus Yucca = tropical American plants with stiff lancelike leaves and spikes of white blossoms
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Agave Family
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Common Names, Scientific Names, Eponyms, Synonyms, and Etymology (5 Volume Set) by Umberto Quattrocchi
1920, The Agave Family in Sonora 80.
by Carole J. Skelly
Acerrubrum red maple scarlet maple soft maple swamp maple Acer saccharum hardmaple rockmaple sugarmaple Acerspicatum mountain maple Agavaceae [Agave family] Agave americanaagave American aloe ...
Crossword Puzzle Dictionary (2015)
by Murali Mohan Hundigam
Plantlike marine creature—sea anemone Plant louse—aphid Plant of the Agave family—yucca Plant of the buttercup family—anemone Plant of the daisy family—dahlia Plant of the daisy family with bright showy colours—zinnia Plant of the ...
The Godzone Dictionary (2010)
Of Favourite New Zealand Words and Phrases by Max Cryer
in Britain they are imported as Torquay palms, though they actually belong to the agave family. cab sav abbrev. of cabernet sauvignon, a thick- skinned red grape widely used in the Bordeaux region, and elsewhere (including New Zealand), ...
by Merriam-Webster, Inc
agave family \3-'ga-ve\ Family Agavaceae of the order Liliales. composed of short-stemmed, often woody plants found in tropical, ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
(See AGAVE FAMILY.) It contains 40–50% alcohol. It was developed soon after the Spaniards brought distillation to Mexico, and is named for the town of Tequila. It is mixed with lime juice and orange liqueur to make the margarita cocktail, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Agave Family
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Agave Family
If you need images about Agave Family for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Agave Family to find many related words and phrases!